Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 10:47:55 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Question on the new HR-1 Loudspeakers (Read 28437 times)
Ken Kwan
Ex Member

Question on the new HR-1 Loudspeakers
01/08/13 at 05:21:37

I am in the process of researching a new pair of high efficiency speakers for now.  After I read the product description, I still have some questions.

On the HR-1 :
1.  Does the vertical (ear level) listening position matter ?  I read the long paper on the website but not quite get it....the horizontal gap opening on the top of speaker, is that the optimum height for the ear ?

2. The front speakers....it kind of imply a traditional listening window in space, does it affect the radial pattern in a negative way ?

3. What is the -3db response on the low frequency in a typical room ?  I think the speaker bottom radiator is ideal for bass.

IF the speaker is more efficient......but there are a lot of air to move inside the speakers !

and last, a stupid question.  for orchestra symphonic recording, is the HR-1 better or the ZOB ?  just when I thought the ZOB is ideal, now here is the new HR-1.

IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Re: Question on the new HR-1 Loudspeakers
Reply #1 - 01/08/13 at 13:12:08

Ken,

Welcome to the forum....Some interesting questions for sure!

[quote]1.  Does the vertical (ear level) listening position matter ?  I read the long paper on the website but not quite get it....the horizontal gap opening on the top of speaker, is that the optimum height for the ear ?
/quote]
Like any other speaker the HR-One's has a vertical axis sweet spot, it's just much larger than a conventional speaker.
[/color]
[quote]2. The front speakers....it kind of imply a traditional listening window in space, does it affect the radial pattern in a negative way ?
/quote]
Like the answer to your first question, Yes it has a "typical" listening window, its just much larger. Say from just below the front woofer to standing, all sounds the same. There is no negative effects on the radial pattern, the drivers are seamless (which was one of the hardest things to get right) you won't even notice there is a radial driver, or a front set of drivers, they are that seamless.

[quote]3. What is the -3db response on the low frequency in a typical room ?  I think the speaker bottom radiator is ideal for bass.
/quote]
There is no "typical room". Every room is different, dimensionally, furniture placement and quantity. With that said mid 30's would be typical in a decent room.

[quote]IF the speaker is more efficient......but there are a lot of air to move inside the speakers !/quote]

Efficiency has nothing to do with box size, per say. Box size has more to do with the bass alignment for the flattest bass response.

[quote]and last, a stupid question.  for orchestra symphonic recording, is the HR-1 better or the ZOB ?  just when I thought the ZOB is ideal, now here is the new HR-1./quote]

Not a stupid question in the least. Being the proud papa that I am, I would reserve my opinion on this. More so because I'm not a open baffle fan. That is just me however.  If you are on the fence about either speaker, the best thing to do is call Steve and talk it over with him. He is great at finding the best match for your room, and personal tastes.

Hope this helps...
Zygi

All Decware amps and sources, Turning Point Audio speakers
  IP Logged
Ken Kwan
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 01/08/13 at 16:33:49

Thanks for the quick reply.

I read the posted paper about the radial speakers idea.  The most interesting thing is that, you are solving the problem of sound reflection of the room that distorts the music.  It is a system approach in engineering sense, not just a better cabinet, or a fancy driver.

One frustrating thing in orchestral music listening is to differentiate the different instruments.

Room reflection is physical, a real thing.  Spending $ on room treatment, it will be never ending.  Just like you said, there is NO typical room.

Thanks again.  I hope someone will post a review soon.

IP Logged
Chris K
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 01/08/13 at 17:38:18

Here some light reading Ken
My lavish praise of the HR1 post #11.
https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1351974083

The Zenmaster himself on the year long courtship of HR1
post #26
https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1346704134/15

Resistance is futile.
  IP Logged
Chris K
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 01/08/13 at 19:52:18

Buy these speakers you will not regret it. Wink

FWIW my intuitive opinion is that these speakers initiate a wave front not unlike that of the human head.

Resistance is futile.
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #5 - 01/08/13 at 23:45:41

I have listened to HR-1's back to back with ZOB's. To my ears there was a huge difference. The ZOB's are very clinical and unforgiving, very accurate. The HR-1s have quite a bit more "sparkle" on top, something that I personally am a sucker for.
I always point out that my hearing is shot and my taste in music is quite different than most people. So listen to both and make up your own mind.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Chris K
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 01/09/13 at 01:34:35

Donnie have you only heard them at Decware?
If so, when you finally get your pair in your home there will be differences. They will not be subtle and they will be all plus. Or should be. Steve's studio space is quite large when you include the boundaries into the bench area and the walkway to the door and high vaulted ceiling being open most notably to bass. The acoustic space that the low bass sees is much larger than the floorplan where the couch sits. The bass response in my living space is "subterranean" compared to Decware's room with just the two HR1s. No sub woofer needed in house for pipe organ notes soundtrack "bombstics" and the like. ROCKS the room but not boomy.

Resistance is futile.
  IP Logged
Ken Kwan
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 01/09/13 at 07:01:05

Thank you gentlemen for you comments.

to Chris K : Are you driving them with the Decware 2w or 6w amp ?

One thing I am looking at Decware's product is quality power, a few watts from Triode amp, what on earth can we drive ?  10 years ago, I was brainwashed into hundred watts of amplification.  Now, we are lucky to have full range speakers that are efficient.

Book shelf speakers are good, but bass is bass.  I supposed bass frequencies need a box to resonate (I could be wrong).

To Donnie :  Does the ZOB sound 'smaller' than the HR-1 ?  I supposed if there is more bass frequencies present, the lower amount of volume to hear (feel) the music.  Otherwise the ear wants 'more' for information, and it is natural to turn up the volume.

But the ZOB, with that specially tuned driver(to compensate the back EMF distortion ?), is almost ideal in theory.

I read the links in the msg.  Amen !

IP Logged
Ken Kwan
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 01/09/13 at 17:00:55

Forgot to ask Zygi : Which of the Decware's amp drive HR-1 best (except the Torii mono) ?  

The mini Torii has 4w per channel,  and the Zen Triode has 6w.   Or Zen Torii for more power reserve ?   I know quality does not necessarily equal to quantity.  Any subjective opinion ?

IP Logged
Chris K
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 01/09/13 at 17:12:12

Ken I have driven them with an older version of the Decware Integrated 6 watt amp producing around 6 to 7 wpc. I can tell you honestly that respectable volumes and bass output is excellent. The speaker has the drivers loaded so well with the cabinet volume and passive loading that the drivers barely move at 34-36 Hz. That is DEEP bass. The extention of usable in room bass is down into the high 20's (28 maybe). All I can tell anyone here is that these speakers give you rock solid harmonic and tuneful bass extension that you just know it when you hear it. Yes 6-15 watt tube amps do well on this speaker. But you can give these the full force of a 100+ watt solid state or 35-60 watt push pull tube amp and the micro detail and dynamic all remain intact but the slam factor and big dynamics increase many times. TORII MkIII sound big on them though I dont have one myself. I am running many different amps on this speaker with the Decware CSP2 preamp in front of them. A bone stock Dynaco ST70 sounded simply delicious. It depends on what you want. Total transparent soundstage and imaging of low watt Decware single ended amplifiers is hard to match. Take a long time to find amps that do it without spending thousands.

Resistance is futile.
  IP Logged
Chris K
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 01/09/13 at 17:18:31

Lets not forget all the other fabulous qualities that make HR1 a pleasure to listen to. Soundstage/imaging champs! Mid-range tone and timbre so smooth. Wide envelope of sweet spot to listen in. Top end sparkle that don't bite you in the ears. Work well with lots of electronics. Stunning looks. Guys behind it LOVE their work and care about customer!

Resistance is futile.
  IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Reply #11 - 01/09/13 at 17:47:02

Ken,

Of course, how loud you want to listen...With the Mini Torii I can get right to my listening level, it's just enough, no headroom for some really low bass if I wanted to get any louder.

Torii-MKIII as loud as you would ever want to listen, period!!

But my favorite other than my original Blue Torii, (I only had a chance to try it out at Decfest this year) was a pair of  bridged Super Zen's and a CSP2 in front of them. The amps were brand new, as well as the CSP, it sounded awesome.

However, in Steve's room, as large as it is, may also been lacking in power. Where as the Torii-MKIII is more than enough.

Zygi

All Decware amps and sources, Turning Point Audio speakers
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #12 - 01/09/13 at 23:31:21

I listened to both the HR-1s and the ZOB's behind a Mini Torii. For the volume levels I like, the Torii MKIII is the only way to go.
Man, I wish the economy would level out for a few months, I will drop the hammer on a pair of Koa wood HR-1's so fast it will make Zygi's head spin.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Chris K
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 01/12/13 at 15:43:42

Bump!
A real GEM here guys someone give these a listen. They will amaze you. Really. Smiley

Resistance is futile.
  IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 01/29/13 at 01:18:32

After emailing back and forth with Bob about his "baby," I pulled the trigger last night. It came down to a pair of the Teresonic Ingenium, for which I had all but written the check, or the HR-1. I doubt I would be unhappy either way, but I also believe I chose wisely. Lord knows my wallet thinks so.

1: PS Audio DirectStream | BHK Preamp & Monoblocks | Legacy Audio Aeris
2: MSB Select II | Custom T2 & Mjolnir Carbon CC | Stax SR-009 & 007
3: Lumin A1 | HeadAmp GS-X mk2 |Meze Empyrean & HEDDphone
4. Schiit Vidar | RAAL Requisite SR1a
  IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #15 - 01/29/13 at 05:51:19

Quote:
After emailing back and forth with Bob about his "baby," I pulled the trigger last night. It came down to a pair of the Teresonic Ingenium, for which I had all but written the check, or the HR-1. I doubt I would be unhappy either way, but I also believe I chose wisely. Lord knows my wallet thinks so.

@PR

Not enought speakers in your house already with the ERR sextet?   Smiley

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 01/29/13 at 14:38:23

beowulf poked:

Quote:
Not enough speakers in your house already with the ERR sextet?  

Exactly what my girlfriend said: "I think you need more speakers Sweetheart." NOT! Wink

Anyway, my plan is to put one ERR set in the master bedroom, and depending on how good the HR-1s are with phantom center channel [trying it with the ERRs left me a little flat, so I am not super optimistic], I would give a second set to my eldest daughter who just bought her first house.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #17 - 01/29/13 at 14:46:25

Greg, there's a good chance the HR-1 will work better than the ERR in that scenario due to the more conventional sonic presentation aspect created by the front-firing drivers.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Chris K
Seasoned Member

Reply #18 - 01/29/13 at 15:14:40

The HR-1 does do a locked in center image even when sitting way off axis. I am in the process of trying to get together a surround set up consisting of only 4 HR-1's using phantom center and if the processor will do it distributing the subwoofer over the 4 speakers "phantom sub?". The deep bass impact the HR-1 has (2 of them) at least in my rooms is so good that four of them should be explosive. I'm not a big "blowem up" type movie viewer but I do appreciate the big impact sounds from effects in various movie genre when needed to convey realism and an immersive experience.

Greg, I look forward to your impressions of HR-1. Let us know when they are on the way. I'll gladly walk you through breakin period. This will be fun.

Resistance is futile.
  IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #19 - 01/29/13 at 21:51:15

Lon said:
Quote:
Greg, there's a good chance the HR-1 will work better than the ERR in that scenario due to the more conventional sonic presentation aspect created by the front-firing drivers.

And Chris reinforced that:
Quote:
The HR-1 does do a locked in center image even when sitting way off axis. I am in the process of trying to get together a surround set up consisting of only 4 HR-1's using phantom center and if the processor will do it distributing the subwoofer over the 4 speakers "phantom sub?". The deep bass impact the HR-1 has (2 of them) at least in my rooms is so good that four of them should be explosive. I'm not a big "blowem up" type movie viewer but I do appreciate the big impact sounds from effects in various movie genre when needed to convey realism and an immersive experience.

Lon and Chris, that makes sense, and it is one of the things I wondered about. I didn't post about it here, but I had a pair of servo subs built using Rhythmik Audio woofers and power amps in custom enclosures designed to mate and match the ERRs. Fast, deep, clean. I am not an LFE addict, but good LFE can enhance the cinematic experience. Try out the Inception BluRay with a good sub, or the Titanic re-release. Amazing. And my ERRs were not lacking in the bass. But when I also connected one of the subs to the regular outputs of the Ultra, the lower octave opened up beautifully. It is now much harder for me to listen to the ERRs without the sub, without feeling like I am missing something. That is especially true on good organ works, and some of the Stanley Clarke and Renaud Garcia-Fons. They sound better with a properly matched sub.

IP Logged
EVOLVIST
Verified Member

Reply #20 - 05/05/17 at 06:08:10

Okay, I'm going to necro this thread.

The ERRx for an untreated 12x12 room or the HR-1 for the same room?

I'm talking Metallica to Mozart, Don Williams to Prince. Something that can do it all, or am I barking up the wrong tree?

If I dug tubes I would go for an Dec amp, but as is, I have a Benchmark AHB2 amp, and I'm between DACs at the moment, having sold my Chord DAVE, and looking into either a Linn Klimax DS or a Metrum Adagio.

So, now you know where I'm coming from. Oh, and I have a spare JL F110 sub that I never use if that might be a part of the mix.

Thanks for your help.

Nick

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #21 - 05/05/17 at 11:33:42

I think the HR-1 is the one that can handle that range of music the best. The ERRx will not quite cover it as thoroughly and with as much authority. And you won't need a sub.

I have the ERR model before this latest, and two pairs of HR-1. . . love them both but the HR-1 are in use.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #22 - 05/05/17 at 14:41:17

I agree - HR-1 are speakers you keep and use for everything.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23 - 05/05/17 at 15:20:39

Yes, they stopped my search. They work so damned well with my Torii Mk III that I think I'll always have this combo as my musical playback heartbeat. And they work excellently for video sound playback as well. . . no sub or rears needed for me.

IP Logged
EVOLVIST
Verified Member

Reply #24 - 05/06/17 at 00:22:15

I actually spoke to Steve today and he said to go for the ERRX. I think mainly because my room is a little smaller than posted, at a realistic 12X10X8. Also, I have nothing in this room. What's equally interesting, and I would like to see what the reaction of the speaker in my room are, but if my listening position is south, and the speakers are set up north, both the left and right corners of my south listening position form alcoves. On the right side is an open area that leads to a hallways, and on the left it is open, which leads to the kitchen.

In other words there are portals to my right and left. So, I would be very surprised if I got any standing bass because of the open corners.

The floors, however, are not carpeted, so I might do well to get a nice thick rug, which I was planning on doing anyway for aesthetic reasons, along with drapes behind the windows, which will be at the speaker's backs.

What's interesting, and I wouldn't go hog wild with it, but I pulled the trigger on the Linn Klimax DS, which has "space optimization." It's far less intrusive than microphone-based room EQ stuff. It might be able to fine tune things, or I might not even need it.

Anyway, I have a buyer for my monster speakers, now that I'm moving into a smaller room. Up close and personal, according to Steve, he thinks it will handle that metal, funk, R&B, as well as some good ol' Neil Young and chamber music.

*shrug*

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #25 - 05/06/17 at 00:43:48

The listening level thing seems pretty tricky...different sources, preferences, room sizes, music, etc.

But here, with my 2.25v out DAC, I was not able to get enough power out of the Rachel for my HR-1s, with or without CSP3. I really don't get where the idea of the CSP3 adding power/volume comes from with my source and the Decware I have used. In this setup, though the CSP3 alters the quality of the signal, the Rachel combination still distorted close enough to the same audible volume for the CSP3 to seem relatively irrelevant volume-wise.

My room is an open space...roughly 30 x 14, with the small dining area, and entrance forming an open T on one end of the 27' (the 27' including the top of this T). The adjacent kitchen wall has large openings off the top of the T, in effect widening the whole space. The rooms are more complicated than this, being adobe and having little shifts, open segues and alcoves. The ceiling is about 9.5 ft for about half, and 8 ft for the rest with exposed beams coming down from the ceilings.

In my room, the Rachel with the HR-1s was quite good on some material, but for quieter playing recordings, or those that need more headroom, or for DVDs, it was often too quiet for me, or too close to edging into distortion at room filling levels. I realized that with these speakers, in my room, the Torii power is important.

All Modified: Balanced Transformer-DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender-RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro-ZBIT-CSP3-OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV, Simple Wave 300B-HR1/SVS Micro3000sub-Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #26 - 05/06/17 at 15:45:50

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #27 - 05/06/17 at 18:28:07

Quote:
I really don't get where the idea of the CSP3 adding power/volume comes from with my source and the Decware I have used. In this setup, though the CSP3 alters the quality of the signal, the Rachel combination still distorted close enough to the same audible volume for the CSP3 to seem relatively irrelevant volume-wise.

This makes sense since the CSP3 doesn't change the voltage that brings the amp to maximum.  My CSP3 makes a difference with my vinyl rig but that is because I'm getting only 1 volt out of my ZP3 and it takes 2 volts for my ZMA to max out.  So yes, louder will need more watts from the amp.  I have a very large room (18X31 with very high vaulted ceiling) and my ZMA and HR1s fill the space but sometime leave me wanting more.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
EVOLVIST
Verified Member

Reply #28 - 05/06/17 at 18:51:04

Quote:
Posted by: mark58 Posted on: Today at 15:45:50

Evolvist, you did see this ad...right?  https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1494076573/0#0

Thank you, Mark. I think maybe he/she has sold them by now, though.

(and I'm not sure if I quoted you the right way on the forum. heh.)

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #29 - 05/06/17 at 23:10:03

Evolvist,

I have never heard HR-1’s, but I do have MG944’s and ERRx’s (the latest version).

I also spoke to Steve a while back and he recommended ERRx’s for me.  I don’t have a dedicated room and I was looking for a more immersive soundstage.   I was hesitant too.  In my mind, I kept thinking these couldn’t be good for some of the music I listen to.  I think I even said to Steve, but I listen to electronic music, and he reassured me they sounded great with all music.

It has been a while since I’ve listened to heavy metal music.  These days I have jazz, indie rock, electronic, dance/techno, folk, country,  classical piano in rotation.  That said, once these speakers warm up (they seem to take a bit longer from cold vs. my MG944’s), they are really engaging and musical with all types of music.  They are crystal clear and image extremely well.  I think I was expecting them to have diffuse imaging, but they aren’t like that at all.

I really like my MG944’s too and I have no doubt that the HR-1’s marry the best of both.  

IP Logged
EVOLVIST
Verified Member

Reply #30 - 05/07/17 at 04:02:24

Thank you, Dave.  Yeah, I'm thinking of taking Steve's advise. We spoke about my room, and he could have sold me on the HR-1, which is what I called about.

Now, the heavy metal, I just mentioned that as an extreme, but I rarely listen to metal. I just want to make sure that if I'm feeling nostalgic and want to hear a little old Maiden or Master of Puppets that I won't be limited.

Actually, I probably listen to more classic rock, R&B, funk, small ensamble classical, jazz and blues more than anything. Heh. Give me some old skool Beastie Boys, when we're talking what I grew up on.

So, it sounds like I'm covered for my small room. If I'm really feeling froggy I might just pick up the Tori Jr amp.  :)

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print