03/29/24 at 16:33:47 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Finished Build (Read 4494 times)
wschofield
Verified Member

Finished Build
12/31/12 at 20:54:42

Here is my zkit build.  I am very pleased with the results.  It makes more then enough power to drive my Audio Nirvana super 8 in my very small room.  I need to updrage my TT it is now embarassed by the Burson DAC with this amp.  I find that I get the best results with a high gain signal from the Burson and even run my Lehmann phono pre thoguh the Burson.  I have not had a chance to really break in the amp and I will need to upgrade the speaker cables (any suggests are very welcome).  Needless to say right now the sound stage and detail is amazing!! I have lived with high output soild state amps and low senstivity monitors for some time and they have nothing on the stage this thing can produce.  Not to mentoin that speaker and amp together cost only 600 (not including the tool cost).

IMG_5955.jpg
  IP Logged
wschofield
Verified Member

Re: Finished Build
Reply #1 - 12/31/12 at 20:57:26

System overview

IMG_5960.jpg
  IP Logged
mboxler

Reply #2 - 12/31/12 at 22:45:16

Very Nice!  What tubes are you using?  Did you build the speakers, too?  Any pictures of the inside?    

Mike

IP Logged
Real
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 01/01/13 at 15:29:40

It looks great.
I like the power switch on top.
I'm planing on doing the same.
I'm still waiting for parts.

IP Logged
wschofield
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 01/01/13 at 15:44:14

I am running 6N1P and 6P15P-EV and I have a pair of EL84 I have run a little.  Need more time with the amp to say what the difference between the output tubes are.  I also built the speakers fallowing generally recommended plan from their creator although I use a port of 3 inches plus a 2.5mH inductor and 8 ohm resistor in parallel to reduce the HF and bring up the base. As you can see from the picture the internal pictures if I did it over I would go with a larger case as things got tight in there.  Also failed to measure twice before drilling and my transformers are on the wrong side of the board, thankfully the wires where just long enough.  I also found that the 100 ohm resistor from the heaters to ground reduced the hum to almost nothing.  In fact the input transformer itself is louder then the drivers.  Next up is a better TT and phono-pre amp.

IMG_0428.jpg
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print