Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 11:30:12 

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
NEW LCD2 Headphone amplifier coming soon. (Read 102601 times)
mmlogic
Verified Member

Re: NEW LCD2 Headphone amplifier coming soon.
Reply #50 - 02/15/13 at 03:49:22

I wonder how GRADO PS1000 will sound with this beautiful machine, haven't listened to LCD2 for a long time since I got my PS1000.

IP Logged
polys
Verified Member

Reply #51 - 02/15/13 at 10:17:59

From reports the Taboo is an excellent match for Grado's.
Good news for me, because I'll be using the SR325i + LCD-2r2.
Do the PS1000's respond to amping the same as the other Grado's though?

Here's some quotes from Headfi

Quote:
SemiAudiophile
I take back what I said earlier, it sounds fantastic with my Magnum Grado's as well; super detailed, spacious, tight, and dynamic. I think I just had a gain/sensitivity issue earlier.

Quote:
Nick Dangerous
The Decware Taboo pumps out some really nice bass. It must be due to the fully tube-rectified circuit. It's very nice. In fact, it's just the ticket for Grados. They really kick on the Taboo. Another difference is the aptly-named "Lucid Mode", a kind of natural tube crossfeed which expands the soundstage. It's noticeable, it's interesting, I like the effect, and again... it's just the ticket for Grados which typically have a soundstage about the size of a frozen pea. It could very well be that the Taboo ends up being my new favorite Grado amp.

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #52 - 02/18/13 at 04:42:01

Checked with Steve, and he is a big fan of the cryo beeswax caps. So, I am foregoing the VCAPS.

1: PS Audio DirectStream | BHK Preamp & Monoblocks | Legacy Audio Aeris
2: MSB Select II | Custom T2 & Mjolnir Carbon CC | Stax SR-009 & 007
3: Lumin A1 | HeadAmp GS-X mk2 |Meze Empyrean & HEDDphone
4. Schiit Vidar | RAAL Requisite SR1a
  IP Logged
MoNelly
Verified Member

Reply #53 - 02/18/13 at 06:08:26

Would a switch that lets you move between headphone and speaker outputs be possible? I seem to remember reading about that option on previous amps, but also seem to remember Steve not liking its sonic impact. Would be nice to not have to unplug speaker cables...

IP Logged
AiDee
Verified Member

Reply #54 - 02/19/13 at 17:49:29

Steve described the speaker/phones switch as a mistake IIRC. That said, my late 2011 taboo was delivered with the switch. It sounds terrific.

Pale Rider, good to know Steve highly rates the beeswax caps. Thanks for following up.

IP Logged
AiDee
Verified Member

Reply #55 - 02/20/13 at 02:26:15

polys/mmlogic: Just tried my Grado RS1. Changing between CSP2+ and Taboo is very noticeable.

CSP2 very smooth; Taboo very dimensional and holographic. Lucid mode makes a large difference. Rather seductive.

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #56 - 02/20/13 at 02:30:11

[font=Times New Roman]I asked for a speaker cutoff switch on mine when it was up there having the headphone modification put in. It works fine. I, too, notice a lot of added weight and dimensionality when using the TABOO as opposed to the CSP2+ with my Sennheiser HD580's. [/font]

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #57 - 02/23/13 at 01:02:21

Folks,

I have been craving the Taboo sound, and apparently, like others who seem to have found it too low volume for their particular speakers or room never went there. Now that Steve has addressed this, I ordered one as an alternate amp to my Torii MkIII (with my Zstage in mind in front), as a Decware backup amp in case of the dreaded event when the Torii has to go back to IL, a chance to hear these famously transparent tubes and lucid mode, and finally, I realize I will probably like the headphone experience too and this could be a great thing.....

I have never been a headphone guy except recording, and have to admit, now that I made the decision on the Taboo, I am excited about the possibility of headphone listening...never gave it much thought before this.

So first question...why 4 pin or three pin on ordering the balanced plugs. Is four compatible with three, or are they mutually exclusive. Thoughts on what I should order???

Also, for those of you with headphone listening experience, which phones should I be window shopping as I wait for the Taboo?

Thanks.

Will

All Modified: Balanced Transformer-DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender-RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro-ZBIT-CSP3-OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV, Simple Wave 300B-HR1/SVS Micro3000sub-Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #58 - 02/23/13 at 19:17:03

Will, 3-pin mini-XLR will require two plugs/jacks. 4-pin is a single plug/jack, and so, if you have two sockets, you can have two listeners. Whether OEM or aftermarket, the headphone market is flooded with reasonably priced and preposterously priced versions of both. Check out this thread, and millions of others, on Head-Fi.

With my New Taboo [has a nice ring] on the way, I am getting my Audez'e set up for 4-pin, and swapping the Thunderpants over to the Liquid Fire.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #59 - 02/24/13 at 02:45:24

Thanks Greg

All Modified: Balanced Transformer-DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender-RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro-ZBIT-CSP3-OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV, Simple Wave 300B-HR1/SVS Micro3000sub-Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #60 - 02/24/13 at 16:01:29

You bet Will. As for headphone models, well,you didn't mention budget but I am a big fan of the Audez'e. There are lots of good cans out there. Spend some time at Head-Fi.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #61 - 02/24/13 at 17:11:02

Yes...what a labyrinth....1600 and some pages on the thread of recommended headphones....Sounds like skipping right to the Audez'e is logical, but costly...is it pretty much the place most will end up given the budget?

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #62 - 02/25/13 at 17:24:39

Well, it's such a matter of personal taste. And of course, comfort is a factor in a way unlike any other aspect of hifi. There are times when I much prefer my IEMs, for example, and the IEM aural experience is not at all like Audez'e, or my Senn 800s, etc. Some folks swear by the HiFiMan planars , but in the one time I tried a set at a HeadFi meet, I was meh. All I can say is that I am happier with the LCD-2 than any other can I have owned. They were as eye-opening and engaging as my very first Senn HD414 when I was a kid.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #63 - 02/25/13 at 18:27:36

Hey thanks for the further explanations and pointers.... Yes the personal thing is sure real, but from my point of near total ignorance of what is around these days, especially from the point of view of died in the wool, audio head, headphone listeners, this helps!

IP Logged
AiDee
Verified Member

Reply #64 - 02/26/13 at 21:14:58

will, your headphone choices are simplified by choosing the Taboo, which really is optimized for Magne-planar headphones (although some report good experiences with other low-impedance hps like Grado).

Magne-planar largely restricts you to Audez'e (LCD2, LCD3) or HiFiMan (but not the HE-6, which is a beast to drive and needs a speaker amp of 40W or more, reportedly).

Like many, many others I can vouch for the LCD2 as a terrific hp and a great match with the 'old' Taboo. It excels at communicating timbre and hence sounds outstandingly 'natural'. It plumbs the low-mids and bass regions with a depth, resolution and presence few other phones achieve. It's also sometimes described as an hp for speaker-lovers. Certainly, it was the first hp that got close to speakers for me.

However, there are other factors, like those Pale Rider mentioned. It is all about comfort and personal preference in the end.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #65 - 03/04/13 at 18:50:12

AiDee,

Good points all around.

I appreciate it.

IP Logged
Landmantx
Verified Member

Reply #66 - 03/06/13 at 05:26:14

Steve, on the phone you mentioned a budget Tascam DAC that would work well with the Taboo.  Could you please share the model of that one so I can get it on order soon?  

Thanks,
Matt

Taboo MK3
CSP2+
  IP Logged
AiDee
Verified Member

Reply #67 - 03/10/13 at 00:39:00

Matt, among budget DACs the Beresford Bushmaster is extremely good - better than Schiit's budget offering the Bifrost imho. Take a look on head-fi for impressions from the few brave enough to try it.

IP Logged
Landmantx
Verified Member

Reply #68 - 03/10/13 at 17:35:35

Thanks AiDee!  You are a trusted Head-fi'er and one of the reasons I ended up here at Decware. I did see a lot of flaming regarding the Beresford online.  Strangely, no where did I see ANYONE that heard it say anything other than praise for its sound for the money.  It is funny how people will write off something they have NEVER heard just because of a personality difference or because the price is too low.  It seems Decware gets a lot of those same audio snobs in uproars because it's "too cheap" or "underpowered" to even be considered.  I guess I always go my own direction, but I am pleased with my Decware decision.

I am going to get my Beresford on order here pretty soon.

Taboo MK3
CSP2+
  IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #69 - 03/10/13 at 22:18:12

@Landmantx: a DAC for what purpose and what budget? For laptop, desktop, or what? Dollar limit? I am not a Beresford fan, but not a flamer either. For a portable, musical solution good with laptops, the Meridian is quite nice. But a lot depends on your application.

IP Logged
Landmantx
Verified Member

Reply #70 - 03/11/13 at 00:41:44

My initial plan is to just play tunes off iTunes from my iMac over LCD 2 headphones. Over time, I plan to buy some speakers (Probably the ERR replacement if it ever comes).  I really just want a neutral, yet musical DAC that will get me by. I really don't know that I could reliably pick a $2000 DAC from a $250 DAC in a blind test.

I did like the idea of a wireless DAC, but it adds so much to the cost that you might as well buy a Mac Mini for the bedside rig.

Who knows, I jumped on this amp before I had it all planned out and now I am working to get it all purchased prior to May when the Taboo gets here.

I considered the Meridian for it's size, but hesitated due to lack of inputs and outputs. I am sure it would work fine though.  

By the way, I loved seeing your 6 ERRs!  Overkill?  Naaahhhhh Smiley

Taboo MK3
CSP2+
  IP Logged
LeFrancoy
Verified Member

Reply #71 - 03/11/13 at 04:19:10

Quick (or stupid) question here...

About the input tube upgrade between the MKII and MKIII, is it a new socket or simply a new tube in the same tube socket as the MKII?

Thanks!

IP Logged
AiDee
Verified Member

Reply #72 - 03/16/13 at 18:27:09

LeFrancoy if I understand your question - it is a different tube, same socket. That is, the driver tube is now from a different tube family. Total tubes are the same (4).

IP Logged
Longbowbbs

Life is a journey,
not a guided tour.

Reply #73 - 03/19/13 at 01:31:53

Well, Frank I has sold his CSP2+ and will be using the Taboo MK III alone!

http://www.head-fi.org/t/655788/the-decware-taboo-mk-111-appreciation-thread

Upgradeus Interruptus
MacMini,W4S DAC-2 DSDse,Denon DVD-5900, Decware CSP2+, Taboo MK III, Sennheiser HD800's, DM945's, DefTech Supercube 3
http://www.head-fi.org/t/654644/a-visit-to-decware
  IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #74 - 03/19/13 at 02:19:29

Quote:
Well, Frank I has sold his CSP2+ and will be using the Taboo MK III alone!

Interesting, inasmuch as he still says the combo together is superior. Can't wait to hear mine. I plan to try it with and without the Ultra, though long term, I am likely to use it standalone.

IP Logged
Landmantx
Verified Member

Reply #75 - 03/19/13 at 17:53:33

I have yet to hear the Taboo MK3 with the CSP2+, but I can say that the Taboo 2 has far more authority and command with the pre-amp at the expense of a large amount of added warmth. Now, I only heard the combo at a meet, so I haven't explored it in that much detail.  To my untrained ears it made the HD800 sound almost exactly like the LCD3 sounds over a quality SS amp. Depending on your preferrences, that could be good or bad. Nick Dangerous preferred the CSP2+ alone with his HD800's even after hearing them together.  I preferred them together as I like a more warm "tubey" sound and enjoyed the raw horsepower of the combo at the expense of finesse. I went ahead and bought Franks Taboo to keep it in the Decware, Head-fi family and to give me maximum flexiblity. I will not speak for Frank, as I don't want to spoil his coming review, but I believe he is not of the opinion that the Taboo 3 is the "one amp to rule them all" that we all hope to someday find at a price we could afford of course.  Go figure, that is why this hobby is so frustrating.  I think once again it is all going to be about pairings, and with the right ones this amp is going to sing.  That said, he did imply that he is planning to add one to his collection though  :)

Taboo MK3
CSP2+
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #76 - 03/19/13 at 19:38:21

Don't know how you feel about rolling tubes, but you can make pretty powerful changes in the quality and quantity of "warmth" with Decware's revealing, clean and simple designs.

I have no CSP2+ but understand that it is shipped "warm" since most prefer it that way, and even exploring only the front tube can make a big difference in the feeling of the pre and whatever follows.

IP Logged
MoNelly
Verified Member

Reply #77 - 03/20/13 at 06:35:36

Hey Steve,

What's the headphone output impedance on the new Taboo?

Thanks!

IP Logged
Longbowbbs

Life is a journey,
not a guided tour.

Reply #78 - 04/14/13 at 05:04:00

Couple of Taboo MK III pics...

[/URL]

Upgradeus Interruptus
MacMini,W4S DAC-2 DSDse,Denon DVD-5900, Decware CSP2+, Taboo MK III, Sennheiser HD800's, DM945's, DefTech Supercube 3
http://www.head-fi.org/t/654644/a-visit-to-decware
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print