Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 16:30:49 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
DNA Tang band speakers are discontinued!! (Read 13553 times)
baddog1946
Ex Member

DNA Tang band speakers are discontinued!!
12/29/12 at 17:20:33

I just bought the DNA plans and I am more tham a little dismayed that the Tang Band drivers have been discontinued.
What are we to do now with the plans? Does this mean a re-work and the a new set of plans for fre or will Steve come up with a new replacement driver that works as well n the existing cabinet.?

IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Re: DNA Tang band speakers are discontinued!!
Reply #1 - 12/30/12 at 16:19:23

baddog,

The drivers are not discontinued, Tang Band is still manufacturing them, they're just no longer stocked by anyone in the US. Slow sales and price point, being the reason.

Solen.ca has what looks like two in stock,  286.96 Canadian. The funny thing I noticed this morning was Solen also has some of the W6-1916 (the 6" version)  in stock for 219.87 Canadian.

As to whether Steve is going to look into another replacement driver for the current plans, I can not honestly say. I like what this little guy does so well with the bass in my room, I'm going to continue looking for something that will work. It may not be a single driver, but it will be good. I have tried the driver from the Trapeziums with better results than the TangBand driver as far as the very bottom octave was concerned, but alas that driver has fallen on the same fate.

I plan to order a few candidates this coming week, we'll see how that proceeds.

Zygi

All Decware amps and sources, Turning Point Audio speakers
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #2 - 12/30/12 at 16:31:53

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Reply #3 - 12/30/12 at 17:01:56

Funny Donnie...is that what you are thinking to install in your Jeep?

Isn't it funny, I see a lot of cars with wheels costing three time as much as the car they are installed on, now you would have these same cars with a subwoofer costing 4 times the price of the car.

Hell, most of these POS couldn't even carry the extra weight of that thing, but they would buy it anyway....

Not thinking this would work very well for the DNA's!! Nice try however!!!
Zygi

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #4 - 12/30/12 at 18:39:31

Zygi,
I'm getting 4 of them and scaling up a HWK15 box for them. The 8k of amplification will come from a pull behind power station, diesel or if I can get the right permits, nuclear. The head unit will be a Kraco 8 track that I have been saving for the right project.
I still have one 8 track tape saved, Captain & Tennille's Greatest Hits.
So when you hear "Muskrat Love" cranked at 175 db's,look around for a red Jeep pulling a glowing trailer.

IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Reply #5 - 12/30/12 at 21:11:19

Donnie, that red Jeep would look funny pulling a 797 Cat Diesel. Nuclear would be more appropriate.

I'll be expecting to hear Captain and Tennillle when you pull into Steve drive at next Decfest!!!

Baddog...didn't mean to hijack your thread...Sorry!!!

IP Logged
opnly_bafld
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 01/03/13 at 00:19:09

I e-mailed TB re: the W5 1880 driver and this was the reply:

"Our North America distributor has not order this model since 2010.

We can not be very sure if they will or will not keep ordering this model in near future.

If you would like to get it, we would be happy to make it for you, but the shipping charge from Asia to US would be ridiculous high. If you insist, we can do it for you.

On the other hand, I would suggest you write an email or call parts express America and tell them you would like to get this driver. They might begin to order this driver!"

IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Reply #7 - 01/03/13 at 19:48:31

Lin,

She (at least who I dealt with at TB) wasn't kidding about the shipping.  They had wrapped the boxes in at least 10 pieces each of 90 degree ultra thin sheet metal, then re-boxed those and wrapped again the same thin sheet metal. I looked like I had gotten into a cat fight and lost.

I tried P.E. but no go....maybe if enough people showed interest???? It took 3 years to sell off their inventory, can't hardly blame them!

Zygi

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #8 - 01/03/13 at 23:29:40

I Googled this speaker and found a few places in Europe that showed that they carried them. I couldn't figure out if they had them in stock though. That might be something that might be worth looking into.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 01/05/13 at 16:36:01

I wrote Tang Band and they sent me to this place in Europe:

axiomedia (can't list site address as I don't have enough posts)

I got a response back from:  davide@axiomedia.it

thank you for contacting us.
Tang Band W5-1880 cost €109.
Freight cost is €55 with FedEx.

This is a per driver cost.

In the mean time, I found a lightly used pair in the U.S.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #10 - 01/05/13 at 16:45:29

http://www.axiomedia.it/UK/TB_5.html
$142.44 for the driver and $71.87 for shipping.

IP Logged
kiwi Pete
Verified Member

Reply #11 - 06/28/13 at 04:23:59

I've just come across the DNA horns on the DIYaudio forum and would quite like to build them with the orginal Tang Bands which are hard to get.

There is however a 4" model, the TB W4-1879 that has a spec that is virtually identical and that is available at Parts-Express.com.

Would I be able to drop this straight in, without any mods (other than cutting a smaller hole)??

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 06/28/13 at 12:59:32

See my post in the next thread and also Steve's posts about replacements.  I don't know the 4" Tang Band, but there are other options listed that have the approval of Steve and/or Zygi, who builds the Decware speakers.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
rmeinke
Verified Member

Reply #13 - 08/23/16 at 20:50:28

Hello fellas,
I have a pair of the Tang Band W5-1880's that I was saving but don't won't be getting to them soon so wanted to offer to folks on this forum first.

$300 is what I am asking, about the same price as the current 4" Bamboo at PE.  As you guys all know, this is one of the finest full-range driver made and a jewel in the TB lineup.

Buyer to pay exact shipping.  Should fit in a USPS Large Flat Rate box so reasonable.

Thank you,
Rich

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print