Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/16/24 at 17:23:19 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Replacing stepped attenuator with much better! (Read 5818 times)
EdGuY
Seasoned Member

Fact is just a solid
opinion.

Replacing stepped attenuator with much better!
12/18/12 at 17:04:03

I've never been satisfied with these original stepped attenuators. So I decided to investigate whether there is a better to replace with. Decwares attenuator caused disruption of both units when adjusted. Similarly, the sound was not pure enough. I found a better attenuator with same characteristics  at http://www.hificollective.co.uk/ , which is a much-publicized, TKD 2CP-601S 100K (50$ each). I removed the original ones and replaced with these new ones. The end result is just amazing! No errors when adjusted, no impurity in sound! Believe me or not but the sound quality improved a lot.
In fact the exchange of one attenuator took only 10min. I spent more time to stud shortening.
I suggest to everyone of you to replace original attenuator (stepped or not) to this one and you will thank me for that. And this is not all, the original lasts for 10,000 turns, this new lasts for 50 million turns! this is what I call an improvement!
Image: left original, to the right TKD 2CP-601S 100K:

attenuators.jpg

Tannoy Prestige Canterbury GR,ST-300mg,IsoTek Aquarius EVO3,YARBO power.c,RGC-24,TORII MK3VCaps+silver wires+carbon resitors,CSP2+,DENON DP-A100+Karat17D3,GRADO PH-1,AURALiC Aries,GUSTARD X20-PRO ES9028PRO DAC,WA-Quantum chips,tubes WE 422A,GEC KT66,6N23P,USAF-596
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Replacing stepped attenuator with much better!
Reply #1 - 12/18/12 at 18:30:01

Interesting. I've been very impressed with the sound of the stepped attenuator in my CSP2+ and certainly don't plan to replace it.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
EdGuY
Seasoned Member

Fact is just a solid
opinion.

Reply #2 - 12/18/12 at 19:18:06

Whatever. But there is a big difference between those two and easy to improve amplifier to next level.

Tannoy Prestige Canterbury GR,ST-300mg,IsoTek Aquarius EVO3,YARBO power.c,RGC-24,TORII MK3VCaps+silver wires+carbon resitors,CSP2+,DENON DP-A100+Karat17D3,GRADO PH-1,AURALiC Aries,GUSTARD X20-PRO ES9028PRO DAC,WA-Quantum chips,tubes WE 422A,GEC KT66,6N23P,USAF-596
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 12/18/12 at 19:51:44

Well I'm not sure my CSP2+ has the attenuator you've posted.

Anyway, I don't feel a need to go to a "next level." Very happy with the sound and there's a point where more detail and transparency leads to less enjoyment with much of my musical sources. We're all different, rather than hear everything possible, I want to keep things musical. I have thousands of recordings that are far from audiophile.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print