03/29/24 at 12:15:24 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
SE84A? (Read 10427 times)
quietglow
Ex Member

SE84A?
12/05/12 at 00:52:19

I have an SE84A with a hum problem. Is this where I ought to ask it?

Thanks!

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Re: SE84A?
Reply #1 - 12/05/12 at 00:59:17

You have come to the right place.

Have you had it all these years or bought it second hand? What is it connected to and when does it exhibit the hum?

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
quietglow
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 12/05/12 at 01:07:29

Awesome. My amp is second hand -- I bought it from the original owner.

I am a relatively experienced amp owner (i.e. I've built a few tube amps from scratch, though its been a few years). I adore my SE84A, but it's developed an intermittent hum. The hum comes from both speakers and comes and goes. It's definitely something out of the ordinary (it's louder than the base hum). Interestingly, flipping the bias switch a couple of times seems to usually makes it stop temporarily. I haven't been able to determine if its still there if I pull the input tube.

Any ideas of what to check? I have a multimeter and can test.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 12/05/12 at 02:11:29

Hi quietglow, and welcome to the forum.

I think this may be related to the switch or the connections the switch has. UNLESS it's the input tube. I would try other input tubes, and I would take a look at the switch an its connections.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
quietglow
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 12/08/12 at 05:02:26

Okay so I did some more testing: when the hum is going on, I turned off the amp and removed the input tube. The hum was unchanged. Then I removed both output tubes. No hum. Then I replaced the output tubes one at a time. With either tube, in either channel, there was hum on that channel (i.e. when they were both in, there was hum on both channels).

This means its not input tube or switch right? I suppose its possible that both output tubes are bad, but that seems rather unlikely?

IP Logged
quietglow
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 12/08/12 at 05:11:28

How do people handle having the volume pot on the amp? I use a preamp for volume control and I've just left my SE84A with the volume pot at max. Maybe the output tubes are cooked after all.

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 12/08/12 at 13:25:55

You can ride the gain, i.e. adjust both devices to see what sounds best. It could be recording dependent at times.

A fresh tube set would bring the unit to life again. You have solved the hum problem.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
opnly_bafld
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 12/08/12 at 14:50:47

"How do people handle having the volume pot on the amp? I use a preamp for volume control and I've just left my SE84A with the volume pot at max."

When I used mine with a preamp I set the vc to just short of max, worked great this way.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print