03/29/24 at 16:30:28 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ringing Rectifiers (Read 3907 times)
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Ringing Rectifiers
11/28/12 at 01:59:59

I have tried two sets of Sylvania 5U4G rectifiers in my TORII MK III and both sets exhibit mechanical noise and a slight medium pitched ringing. It sounds like water running through a pipe or hose. I pulled the second set out and substituted some Svetlana Winged C rectifiers. They are quiet as sin in there.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Re: Ringing Rectifiers
Reply #1 - 11/28/12 at 04:12:35

Weird. I have never run into this with a NOS rectifier. My original Rubys sounded sort of like an internal mechanical vibration/rattle of fine metal against something...sort of tinsely if I recall. Definitely irritating.

Asked Steve on those and he said it would probably pass as the new tube works in, and it did.

Are they true NOS, the same year and so on, or same tube altogether.

All Modified: Balanced Transformer-DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender-RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro-ZBIT-CSP3-OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV, Simple Wave 300B-HR1/SVS Micro3000sub-Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 11/28/12 at 11:38:27

I think they were all used. In fact, I'm sure of it. They had marks on the bottom of the base, which usually means they were pulled. One set is a matched pair with same date codes. The other are similar but both with bottom getters. I agree that the sound is "tinsely" with these, too. The Russians make no noise at all.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 11/28/12 at 14:55:58

Odd to get 4 with the same issue! Sounds like the same thing I had, but these being used, I wonder if this is just bad. Can't say from experience. I have quite a few Sylvania 5U4GB (no 5U4GB-ST), and all are fine. I like their sounds in general too. Nice choices for fine tuning.

All Modified: Balanced Transformer-DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender-RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro-ZBIT-CSP3-OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV, Simple Wave 300B-HR1/SVS Micro3000sub-Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print