Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/19/24 at 07:24:02 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Mini-Torii and loudspeaker pairing (Read 12805 times)
erik2a3
Seasoned Member

Mini-Torii and loudspeaker pairing
11/21/12 at 01:12:58

I continue to find the Mini Torii a truly flexible and consistently strong performer.  I have used it with Lowther PM5A drivers in rear-loaded horns, with two pair of more recent and older Klipsch Heresy, with corner-loaded Kipschorns, with Klipsch La Scalas, and with a diminutive pair of horn loaded full-range (well, not quite) Fostex drivers -- the last of these being part of a very reasonably priced kit from Madisound.  In all cases I find this amplifier among the least particular of many I own in terms of thoroughly involving peformance with all of the above speaker systems.  I do find it suits loudseaker loads in the nominal 8 ohm range perhaps a bit more than the two mentioned above that have a nominal impedance of 15 and 16 ohms.  That's just my perception though.  I find the power transfer better suited to the lower impedances, but the differences are not at all huge or glaringly obvious.

I've read many contributions here -- all of them well-written and well-intentioned -- concerning parts swapping.  If I may submit this, it might be an idea to become accostomed to the stock Mini Torii sound for a good while.  I say this because I truly understand the wish for more of a good thing!  I'm encouraging that new owners give the amp some time, just as it comes from Decware.  I did add a headphone jack to mine, but I have done absolutely zero to the circuit -- at either the signal end or power supply.  And I have tried a couple of different output and input/driver stage valves.  And if you do roll tubes quite a bit, don't yank them in and out constantly.  Don't turn the amp off and on in rapid succession while making changes.  Tubes sockets are durable, but doing lots of tube changing can also wear or loosen connections on socket contact points.  All of the above is suggested as personal experience and from making my own mistakes, on occasion the result of my own impatience.  I have all the caps I need to change if I wanted to -- both for the power supply and coupling between stages.  Same with potentiometers.  I just can't find a reason to justify the rounds of surgery required.  Too much of that and one can start having other issues...  Pretty awesome amp just as it is!

Have fun!
erik
  IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Re: Mini-Torii and loudspeaker pairing
Reply #1 - 11/21/12 at 14:09:48

Good points, EriK.  I'm glad you are enjoying your Mini Torii too.  

I'm currently waiting for a rectifier replacement that went off and a stash of other tubes for some tube-rolling.  In the meantime, I'm listening to historical performances in monaural recordings, not bad!

Can you speculate on the effects of using EZ80 instead of the stock EZ81 rectifiers, considering the former current rating is just 90 mA instead of 150 mA for the EZ81?  I'm rushing in a pair of rectifiers while waiting for the stash to arrive (no estimated dates in sight yet).  I know you have some experience with these circuits, so I thought I'd ask.

I can choose between Tesla, RFT and EH NOS, either EZ80 or EZ81.  What do you guys think?  Thanks for your thoughts.  Take care now.

David.

Toshiba-Foobar2K-ASIO Direct-WD 2.0Tb HDD-Schiit USB cable-Schiit Yggdrasil DAC-Decware Silver Ref IC's-Decware Mini Torii SE-8PR Kimber Kable spkr cbls-Decware DM945's-Tekton Lore 2-Velodyne DLS 3500 SUB-BJC SUB Cbls-Tripp Lite 500 Isolation Trnsf-Jellyfish S
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #2 - 11/21/12 at 15:00:37

From previous experience I'd suggest RFT. They made some awesome tubes.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #3 - 11/21/12 at 15:14:01

Yes, Lon, I was just reading related threads in some audio forums and I found other people sharing your view.  That's the one I'm getting then.

Thanks!

Toshiba-Foobar2K-ASIO Direct-WD 2.0Tb HDD-Schiit USB cable-Schiit Yggdrasil DAC-Decware Silver Ref IC's-Decware Mini Torii SE-8PR Kimber Kable spkr cbls-Decware DM945's-Tekton Lore 2-Velodyne DLS 3500 SUB-BJC SUB Cbls-Tripp Lite 500 Isolation Trnsf-Jellyfish S
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4 - 11/21/12 at 15:18:47

I used an RFT EX81 in my EICO HF81 and it was a great tube, so I think you may have a winner there.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #5 - 11/21/12 at 19:43:20

Done! Should be here within a week or so.  Great reviews.  Les Lammers suggested those too, unfortunately they're in that elusive package he kindly sent me.  I still have hopes to get those eventually.  I just need to have my music back asap, so these rushed RFT's will hopefully relieve the pain.  :)

IP Logged
Les Lammers
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 11/23/12 at 15:05:44

There are RFT EZ80's and 81's in the elusive package. I hope it does arrive. How are you having the tubes sent to you?

IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #7 - 11/23/12 at 16:08:38

I know, Les.  Unfortunately, according to my importer (Joe Hummer), the local postal service is unpredictable at best.  Besides, since there's a value declared on the package beyond the law's limit of US $50.00, it gets opened by customs.  

Now, customs is poorly manned and very inefficient normally, but is even more clugged up with the higher merchandise traffic going through for the end of the year holidays.

Joe normally does not attend small value imports (not worth his time), but I guess he felt for me (after I asked him about the elusive package) and he offered to bring it down himself through his import network.

He's rushing this, so I may get those by next week.  It will cost higher than I would like it to, but I need to listen to my amp (it'll be 30 days by next week).

He also offered in the future to have any packages sent to his export office contact in Miami and he'll take it from there. I think this is the way to go from now on.

IP Logged
Les Lammers
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 11/24/12 at 11:44:30

The box is likely stuck in Customs. I did not know about the $50 issue. I will go to the PO after 30 days and start the trace. That may help.

IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #9 - 11/24/12 at 18:16:20

Yes, I'm sorry for all the trouble, Les.  I wish I had consulted Joe earlier.  I'm hoping the package will be eventually released from customs (I'll be notified by customs through the post office, I guess) and I'll finally get it's contents in good conds.

IP Logged
Les Lammers
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 11/24/12 at 18:40:26

It's not a problem you created. I just wanted you to get the tubes. I think you will get them but I had no idea it would take this long. When you get the box you should be set for a while.

IP Logged
Les Lammers
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 11/24/12 at 19:34:56

Erik, good point about turning the amp on and off. Altering the circuit is generally not a good idea in most amps unless you have good reason to do so. I don't plan on doing anything else to mine...it's a keeper. Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print