Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 12:19:56 

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Ingress Audio - Bearing Isolation Roller Blocks (Read 65734 times)
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Ingress Audio - Bearing Isolation Roller Blocks
Reply #50 - 12/03/12 at 13:49:43

Mike emailed me that he bought a new tool for machining the aluminum and now the spherical cavity is better machined and he thinks there's a new sonic benefit. New ones will be the new machining.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
setamp
Verified Member

Reply #51 - 12/04/12 at 13:51:13

Lon,  I'll be interested to hear how the blocks work under your PWD MkII.  I am using this dac and am looking for a way to tone down the lower treble / upper mids.  I am using ceramic cones currently which are better than nothing and better than herbies tenderfeet but I suspect there is a more optimal solution.  I am running the PWD MkII with 2.02 firmware into my CSP2+ / Taboo with LCD2.1 headphones.  It's a good rig but with just a little hardness to overcome.

IP Logged
Robbls
Ex Member

Reply #52 - 12/05/12 at 08:45:04

Talk about with friends

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #53 - 12/08/12 at 13:50:41

SETamp, sorry I missed your post. I've got Herbie's Iso-Cups under my PWD Mk II with Deep Moss Quartz 1" balls (set up so that the balls don't make contact with the felt) and I'm very happy with this, considerably different than Tenderfeet and seems to not have any hardness (I had some treble hardness initially but after 500 hours or so I think it burned away, and I use the treble cut circuit on my Torii to tailor treble for my whole system, that may be helping too). I recently played around with just having the PWT sit on top of the PWD, and on Tenderfeet but found that if I use the same balls in Iso-Cups under it as well and avoid having the balls sit on the felt pads I get the best results for Redbook.

I love this DAC, it's great with hi-res through optical or coaxial, and I think I love the Redbook so much in part because I use the PWT and its HDMI connection; I think having the I2S connection makes a difference. Although not as pronounced as with the Torii, location of the Iso-Cups makes a significant sonic difference.

In between my last posts I've done some thinking and I think I will try the Ingress Audio rollerblocks under the PWD in time but my plans for my next pair is to try them under the CSP2+ as that will influence the sound from all my sources (PWT/PWD, Blu-ray and DVR through PWD, ZP3). I expect the rollerblocks to work better than the Herbie's Tenderfeet there now. If I can then order other sets of rollerblocks I'll try them under the PWT and under the PWD and perhaps after that the ZP3. If you decide to order a set and try them under the PWD before I do, let me know how they sound.

will, if you order three, I've now mine configured with one in the front and two in the back, seems better this way.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #54 - 12/08/12 at 14:45:45

Thanks Lon,

Have not ordered yet, but hope too.

All Modified: Balanced Transformer-DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender-RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro-ZBIT-CSP3-OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV, Simple Wave 300B-HR1/SVS Micro3000sub-Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
orangecrush
Seasoned Member

Reply #55 - 12/12/12 at 02:38:11

Received my forth set today for my power conditioner and also some of the tungsten carbide balls. The new bearings weigh almost twice as much. It's too early to form impressions yet, but i did notice the new bearings make listening at lower volumes much more satisfying.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #56 - 12/12/12 at 02:51:40

Cool! I'm still waiting on my second order. I'm going to try them  under the CSP2+ where I think they'll have a chance to shine. Don't think I'm going to spring for carbide balls.

If I can I may squeeze in another order at the end of next week. . . I'll be out of town for eight days which will help with the long waiting period for them to arrive.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #57 - 12/12/12 at 21:45:58

So OC, any difference/improvement with the rollerblocks under the power conditioner?  I've tried different footers under mine but I"m not sure there's any big differences. . . . .

IP Logged
orangecrush
Seasoned Member

Reply #58 - 12/13/12 at 01:42:33

Hey Lon, I can't say I can hear a difference with the power conditioner. I think, that because it's so heavy, the spikes did a good job. The biggest change was on the speakers and then the Dac. I am playing with the tungsten bearings right now.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #59 - 12/13/12 at 03:17:17

Interesting. I'm still waiting for my second order, going to go under the CSP2+. . . . If it's a keeper there I'll try another set next year under the DAC.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #60 - 12/13/12 at 23:04:09

Well, my next set arrived. I placed them under the CSP2+ replacing the Herbie's Audio Lab Tenderfeet there.

A disctinctly positive change to the sound. The root change seems to be a blacker background. Which means dynamics are a bit more pronounced and images a bit heftier. I'm going to order more.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #61 - 12/16/12 at 13:23:05

I notice that like the Iso-Cups these roller blocks influence different sounds according to their placement. I have those under the speakers about an inch in from the back corners and about an inch and a half in from the front center, and under the CSP2+ two placed so that the outer edges are just at the chassie edge, and likewise in the center of the front chassis bottom.

I ordered four more sets, which should arrive around the new year. Planned placement is under my ZP3, my PWD Mk II, my PWT and my Denon DCD-A100. Sets of three. And then I'll decide whether to order a set of four for under the Torii. . . .

IP Logged
orangecrush
Seasoned Member

Reply #62 - 12/16/12 at 17:40:06

That's awesome Lon. I have the same placement under my Dac. The tungsten bearings are a very subtle upgrade at best. Very hard to pick out the differences. I would stay with the steel bearings. I really want to try them under the Torrii as well, maybe over the holidays.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #63 - 12/16/12 at 19:18:57

Well, with these under the preamp I can say that these are better than the Herbie's Audio Lab Tenderfeet. The next batch will let me know if they are better than Iso-Cups under source components. That's a bit of a stiffer contest but I think they may win.

As I think you mentioned before, the Iso-Cups are so good under the Torii I'm loathe to move them out!

IP Logged
setamp
Verified Member

Reply #64 - 12/24/12 at 13:31:10

I received 1 set on Friday and was able to experiment a little over the weekend.  I found the component to benefit the most was my CSP2+.  I will definitely add another set either under my PWDmkII or Taboo.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #65 - 01/05/13 at 17:40:42

Just a quick note (my computer died while I was on vacation in Ohio and I'm having it repaired). . . .

I got three sets of the roller blocks and played around with placement. My general conclusions: four under a speaker or component sounds better than three; these sound better than Herbie Audio Lab Tenderfeet, but I still prefer the Isocups under the Torii by quite a bit, and under source components but a lesser bit.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #66 - 01/07/13 at 19:53:17

Played around with all my isolation components some more. . .

I love these rollerblocks for speakers. I have them under the speakers in both my systems now. But. . . I've removed them from under components in the main system because I feel that even the Herbie's Audio Lab Tenderfeet work a bit better for me, and the Iso-Cups even more so. (My situation with my CSP2+ and ZP3 may be a bit different than others as I'm using really thick PS Audio power cables (AC-12) and they need a firmer, less jiggly, footer as the angle of the cord tends to pull on the component).

It's been fun playing around with these. They now are under most components in my second system.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #67 - 01/10/13 at 15:35:15

Got a notice from Ingress Audio Engineering that they are now shipping with one of the blocks featuring a recessed groove and O-ring.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #68 - 01/11/13 at 16:44:42

Thanks orangecrush & Lon for your great input on this product! I look forward to trying them....and affordable.  -Stone

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #69 - 02/24/14 at 22:35:44

Well, I eventually found I did not prefer these under components in comparison to the Herbie's Audio Lab Iso-Cups, and though they may work a bit better under my CSP2+s and ZP3 the way I have these set up they move about too much and I have gone back to using Herbie's Audio Lab Tall Tenderfeet there.

But under speakers? The Roller Blocks rule. I have them under all three sets of Decware speakers in use in my house and Dad's. And this week I decided to try to place large Herbie's Audio Lab Grungebuster Dots between the speaker and the top of the Roller Blocks. This has been a positive change and I'm keeping it for a while.

Man twenty years ago I would have thought I was nuts playing around with isolation control products, but I find they make a difference and I like this as much as tube-rolling, sometimes more.

IP Logged
orangecrush
Seasoned Member

Reply #70 - 02/24/14 at 23:10:59

I agree 100% Lon. Under speakers there is nothing better. The only component I have them under is my very heavy BPT-1 balanced isolation transformer. But they are threaded in. No sure how much difference I can tell in that application.

Iso-cups sound best under my Torii.

I am trying those Waipuna myrtle wood feet under my DAC and so far I like them.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #71 - 02/25/14 at 01:10:23

Are any of you using these on carpet? Or all wood floors?

I've got cheap spikes on the Herbie's Giant Gliders because I've got thick berber carpet and padding, and I honestly wasn't wow'd...except that they are super easy to adjust with the gliders! LOL

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #72 - 02/25/14 at 01:22:27

Interesting, looked those Waipuna up. Look as if they would be too lively for my system, both brass footers and myrtlewood footers have seemed that way in my system when I've tried them. But if they work they are certainly affordable.

Eric,
Yes, I've been using mine on carpeted floors. Works fine: the weight of the speakers flattens the carpet under the bottom piece and then the top piece floats on the bearing. I like what adding the Grungebuster does.

IP Logged
orangecrush
Seasoned Member

Reply #73 - 02/25/14 at 01:28:06

Mine are on laminate floors.

Lon, yes they do tend to be a bit lively under other components, especially with tubes. But I really like under my solid state DAC. They seem to bring some organic like smoothness without any dulling or damping if that makes any sense.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #74 - 02/25/14 at 01:33:01

Oh that makes sense. Brass and myrtlewood were both too lively for me under SS source components in the past. I find the black Iso-Cup bases with the Deep Moss Quartz gemstone balls give the just the right balance for me, I'm sticking with 'em. Smiley

IP Logged
orangecrush
Seasoned Member

Reply #75 - 02/25/14 at 01:36:01

LOL

I am using the clear iso cups with the base and the cheap lampblack balls.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #76 - 02/25/14 at 01:58:56

I have the clear bases with the high end base in my second system now. The differences between the balls are subtle, but real, the gemstone balls really do seem to subtly influence the sound the way that Steve Herbelin has described them. The black base sounds about the same as the clear base with the high-end base. I have had fun experimenting with the different gemstone balls, I've tried about four. I use the Mexican Agate under my PPP, the Deep Moss Quartz with all the other bases.

IP Logged
orangecrush
Seasoned Member

Reply #77 - 02/25/14 at 01:59:57

I am going to get some. Thanks Lon.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #78 - 05/03/16 at 14:24:09

I've been using the Roller Blocks under my speakers. My speakers reside up near the wall just sitting on their bases when not in use or when in use when my wife is around (not ideal sonically). When I get a listening session I bring them out three to five feet from the front wall anyplace them on Ingress Engineering Roller Blocks. I've been using the steel ball bearings for a few years. I have four ceramic bearings Ingress sent me that sound a tad better (a tiny bit warmer and clearer) but I don't have enough to put under both speakers. My big pleasure in the Delrin platter I bought for my Rega turntable made me think to try Delrin 3/8" bearings, and I'm on my second day now and do like them. They close the gap a bit between digital and analog, and add a bit of warmth to analog. They are the opposite I think of the direction that Ingress and other roller block makers move, that is they are softer than steel, rather than harder than steel which the manufacturers seem to think is the route to better fidelity. Well, these Delrin bearings may color things a tiny thin hair, but that's what we are mostly doing with tubes and isolation components etc.: subtly coloring things as we like them. Anyway Delrin bearings are cheap and if you use roller blocks they are worth experimenting with.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #79 - 12/28/17 at 20:56:28

I'm no longer using the Ingress Rollerblocks under my speakers (or anywhere actuallY). I've found that since I have the ZROCK2 to augment lower frequencies that the early (one bearing) version of the VooDoo Cable Iso-Pods works best under my HR-1s. Really open midrange and sweet treble. As these tend to diminish lower frequency output a bit a touch of the EQ from the ZROCK2 makes compelling sound. I hate to shut the system down.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print