Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
HWK 15 Question. (Read 5813 times)
bwolf1115
Verified Member

HWK 15 Question.
11/02/12 at 15:13:12

Hello Gentleman,

I started my quest for the HWK15 about 3 months ago after i won and auction on eBay for a pair of the Dayton series II woofers. In my search for an enclosure design for these i stumbled upon a post on a forum relating to the HWK i was immediately interested bought the plans and built my version. I'm running the true Iso alignment but i have made some modifications. I had a PSP 6" Aero port left over from my days in competition car audio so i used that in substitution of the coffee can method Smiley.  I also added a Dayton 250w plate amp to the rear panel opposite of the port. I know it will shrink the volume but the difference was minimal.  Here in lies a problem. During some very low bass notes i get a loud pop from the front sub (in the 6") port section. Obviously the sub is bottoming out and even though im feeding them quite a bit less power than there rated for. Any ideas from the more seasoned vets of the HWK 15 as to what could be causing this issue?

IP Logged
HT-EXT
Seasoned Member

NYUK NYUK NYUK

Re: HWK 15 Question.
Reply #1 - 12/24/12 at 17:05:19

Don't get me wrong the Dayton Series II are excellent woofer but are limited to about 8mm xmax and if the plate has a bass boost built in, it will cause the woofers to bottom out. If you could step up to a sub that has about 12mm/15mm xmax you should be able to cure this problem and it play a little lower. You could try a shorter port but I doubt that will cure the problem. Changing the align might make a difference but I am not sure it will solve anything either. The best thing about the HWK is all the experiments you can try. If you need more info let me know.

HT-EXT

" I TRY TO THINK BUT NUT'EN HAPPENS! " CURLY
  IP Logged
bwolf1115
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 01/07/13 at 13:41:58

Is there a cost effective sub you would recommend?

IP Logged
HT-EXT
Seasoned Member

NYUK NYUK NYUK

Reply #3 - 01/18/13 at 03:05:33

Cost effective is whatever the budget can stand. Here is a list to start :

http://www.parts-express.com/cat/subwoofers/14?kg=497|3925

1 HO for big power and low booms

1 HF for average power but excellent bass

It all depends on the budget and how low or loud you want to go...

HT-EXT

" I TRY TO THINK BUT NUT'EN HAPPENS! " CURLY
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print