Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Left channel is off!
10/26/12 at 19:50:03

Hi!

I was listening to my Mini Tori-based rig, and all of a sudden my left channel went off.  On inspection I noticed the large OA3 output voltage regulator tube on the left channel was off.  All other tubes seemed lit (except for the OC2 input voltage regulators, which don't ever really show light that can be seen during daytime).

I switched the OA3's to make sure this was the faulty tube and, alas, this time around the suspect OA3 when lit on the right channel and the other one off on the left. On even closer inspection, I noticed that now my left-hand channel's EZ81 rectifier was off!

So, apparently my JJ EZ81 went off, and this probably killed the feed to the OA3 on that side.  Since I now know both OA3's are fine, I'm concluding the faulty tube is indeed the JJ EZ81.

This is consistent with the history of faulty JJ EZ81 rectifiers with the Mini, as per forum reports.  Anyway, I was making plans already to do some tube-rolling, including these, so I'll just have to wait ... Bummer!

Any ideas what may have caused this, other than the QC issue with JJ's?

The faulty tube's description:  JJ EZ81

Toshiba-Foobar2K-ASIO Direct-WD 2.0Tb HDD-Schiit USB cable-Schiit Yggdrasil DAC-Decware Silver Ref IC's-Decware Mini Torii SE-8PR Kimber Kable spkr cbls-Decware DM945's-Tekton Lore 2-Velodyne DLS 3500 SUB-BJC SUB Cbls-Tripp Lite 500 Isolation Trnsf-Jellyfish S
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Left channel is off!
Reply #1 - 10/26/12 at 19:54:26

Truly a bummer! Tube failures can be mysterious, sometimes their number is just up so to speak. I'm no expert, but as all other tubes seem functional I would wager that any problem is specific to the tube. Have you tried "wiggling" the tube in the socket a bit to see if it will fire up? On my Torii the right rectifier sometimes needs this attention. I really can't seem to send it back to be looked at. . . .

Hopefully you can find a replacement Sylvania or a pair locally.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #2 - 10/26/12 at 20:30:19

Lon,

I'm sorry.  I just edited my original message.  Turns out the faulty tube is the JJ EZ81, not the OA3.  Apparently this rectifier controls the feed to the OA3, so when the JJ EZ81 went off it turned off the OA3.  Both OA3's lit when coupled with the still working JJ EZ81.

Regarding local tube replacement, it's not possible that I know of.  Very few people here appreciate this tube amp hobby.  The only valve amp audio store I know sells only McIntosh amps, and these probably do not use this type of rectifier.

I will try your suggestion of 'wiggling' the tube in its socket.  This, of course, is done when the amp is off, right?

I may be asking Les to send me some over from Florida.  Thanks, Lon.

Toshiba-Foobar2K-ASIO Direct-WD 2.0Tb HDD-Schiit USB cable-Schiit Yggdrasil DAC-Decware Silver Ref IC's-Decware Mini Torii SE-8PR Kimber Kable spkr cbls-Decware DM945's-Tekton Lore 2-Velodyne DLS 3500 SUB-BJC SUB Cbls-Tripp Lite 500 Isolation Trnsf-Jellyfish S
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 10/26/12 at 21:35:22

That's the way it works in the Torii Mk III as well, the rectifier feeds the two voltage regulation tubes, the rectifier can be out or not working and the power tubes and input tubes glow.

It just occurs to me the test that you probably have already done is to swap the rectifier tubes to ascertain whether the left tube works in the right position.

The good news is that the rectifier may be easier to find locally than the OA3, OB3, etc. You may also find a pair of the other rectifier types used in the amps through the McIntosh dealer; they likely use one type of these tubes.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #4 - 10/26/12 at 22:23:55

Lon,

Yes, I tried swapping the rectifiers to corroborate the faulty one.  There's no doubt.  I also tried 'wiggling' it in its socket, to no avail.

I will try to contact this McIntosh store just to check, as per your suggestion.  We'll see.

Thanks,
David

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5 - 10/26/12 at 22:28:30

David, I'm really hoping they can provide tubes. I know what it's like to have your amp down! I know you'll keep us posted.

IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #6 - 10/26/12 at 22:41:59

Yeah, freakish!  Oh well, this way I get involved in tube-rolling earlier than I thought, although 'the hard way'   Smiley  Thanks for the good wishes!

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 10/27/12 at 00:12:49

Les who?

And this illustrates why you should have spare tubes.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #8 - 10/27/12 at 01:07:01

That would be Les Lammers, one of our "Senior Members." Smiley

IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #9 - 10/27/12 at 01:30:44

That's right, Rivieraranch, I think you warned me a long time ago . .. You were right!

IP Logged
opnly_bafld
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 10/27/12 at 01:33:33

"And this illustrates why you should have spare tubes."

....or several amps. Wink

IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #11 - 10/27/12 at 01:55:16

Yeah! But I don't feel like selling my bike anytime soon!   Smiley

BTW, have you acquired a Decware amp already?

IP Logged
opnly_bafld
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 10/27/12 at 02:36:36

"Yeah! But I don't feel like selling my bike anytime soon!"

I can understand that. Wink

"BTW, have you acquired a Decware amp already?"

Nope

Hope you get the MT up and running 100% again real soon.

IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #13 - 10/27/12 at 15:33:50

Thanks for your good wishes, Lin.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #14 - 10/27/12 at 16:20:54

You're welcome David. Despite possible misunderstandings in the recent past, that's all I've ever had towards you.

Hopefully the amp can be running again very soon!

IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #15 - 10/27/12 at 23:57:57

Same here, Lon, absolutely.  Thanks for expressing that, it reflects on you!   Smiley

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #16 - 10/28/12 at 01:07:52

Been thinking about your amp being disabled. Listening to any one speaker mono?  :)

IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #17 - 10/28/12 at 03:23:51

Now that you mention it, I do have some Furtwangler, Toscanini, Nikish, Solomon, Kempff, Lipatti, Casals, Gigli, and the like, in monaural recordings.  Most are great historical interpretations.  There are also some Swing and early Bebop jazz monos too ...

I will give them a try, although I don't usually enjoy the harsh sound.  I haven't listened to these since acquiring the Decware gear, but the music itself is great indeed.

Good suggestion!  Thanks, Lon.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #18 - 10/28/12 at 12:42:50

Those might sound better on the Decware equipment. When I got my first Decware amp 14 years or so ago I was amazed at how it made music from the 'teens through the 'forties sound so good. And mono with one speaker is a trip! Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print