03/28/24 at 22:41:42 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
having an issue (Read 6000 times)
JD
Seasoned Member

having an issue
10/24/12 at 01:14:11

I'm not getting equal volume out of my speakers (ERR's).  When I change the speaker cables the sound switches from either stronger/louder right or left depending on hookup. The sound isn't better or worse just not as strong. It's not the speakers because they both can get louder when I swap the speaker cables. I just switched the bias switch and it popped in one speaker the same one that is lower volume.  I swapped the cables, lowered the volume and switched the bias switch and it popped again just quieter with the lesser volume.
amp is zen torii and cables are decware as well.
ideas on how to fix?
thanks

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: having an issue
Reply #1 - 10/24/12 at 01:55:20

You may have some mismatched power tubes in one channel? One tube in one pair that has run its course? If you had a spare pair or quartet of tubes you could try that  . . . My best guess.

Or alternately you may have a different tube type in the input spot on one channel, or one of the two tubes is malfunctioning. . . ?

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #2 - 10/24/12 at 02:00:44

Also, check the ohm selection switches in the back corners of the amp to make sure each are in the same position. . . .Probably should check the treble and bass knobs as well.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 10/24/12 at 02:27:27

Appreciate the quick and correct advice Lon.  Changed the whole lot of power tubes and the volume is equal.  Now back to the listening.  It took me a little while to isolate the issue with the radiant sound of the new ERR's and the acoustics of my new place.  It seemed more or less evident depending on the recording/song and speaker placement. They are so full it was even tough to notice a glitch.
thanks again

JD

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4 - 10/24/12 at 04:06:43

JD, glad it was such an easy fix. Those ERRs are just amazing, the sound field radiation is so enveloping I agree that it is often hard to tell when there's a bit of channel imbalance!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print