Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 20:49:25 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
These DFR8's just arent good enough… ;-) (Read 29806 times)
Damien
Seasoned Member

These DFR8's just arent good enough… ;-)
10/22/12 at 21:15:33

The DFR8's in my Open Baffle's have been replaced!  

With FRX2's

A celebration is in order…

Taboo, CSP2+, ZOB's, FRX2's
WWW k919596   IP Logged
Damien
Seasoned Member

Re: These DFR8's just arent good enough… ;-)
Reply #1 - 10/22/12 at 21:36:47

I have been listening without my Subwoofer and the bass from these things is amazing. There is a huge difference between the DFR8's and these.

The switch on the FRX2's that changes the loading is a very obvious change in dynamics both of which are pleasant. So far (Classic Rock) I like it pointing to the positive speaker terminal. *

I saw 4krow saying something about 40 hours burn in… well I have about 1 hour in, 39 to go. I know the DFR8's really started to shine after a proper burn in.

I took this opportunity to do a job on the ZOB cabinets I built that I had not yet done. On the back side of the speaker cutouts I finally made a rounded over edge instead of just a straight hole.

Dire Straits - Telegraph Road right now … I think my ZOB resonance chamber is … well.. resonating.

* I know nothing about what this switch really does even after reading Steve's explanation….

WWW k919596   IP Logged
Damien
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 10/23/12 at 16:42:21

Already changed my mind about that switch position...

WWW k919596   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 10/23/12 at 16:46:17

Looks like an awesome driver! Glad you are enjoying the speakers.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #4 - 11/04/12 at 03:29:13

Damien,

Those are a nice looking pair of ZOB's... got any more pictures of those with the new drivers?  Keep us posted as these drivers break-in.

Thanks,

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Damien
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 11/05/12 at 19:44:57

Thanks Steve.  Went with walnut and a 'picture frame' style on the edge dressing.  The veneer is bird's eye maple.

Here are a few more pics I just took. Linked instead of inline they're kinda big. Also I am no photographer, sorry

http://www.macmeisters.com/~damien/IMG_0596.JPG
http://www.macmeisters.com/~damien/IMG_0597.JPG
http://www.macmeisters.com/~damien/IMG_0601.JPG
http://www.macmeisters.com/~damien/IMG_0602.JPG
http://www.macmeisters.com/~damien/IMG_0603.JPG

WWW k919596   IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #6 - 01/17/13 at 21:41:11

'D'  Glad to see that you got the FRX2! I have NEVER enjoyed a speaker so much. And yes, the bass is just the way I like it. I do use a sub occasionally, but overall, I am happy with these just the way they are. I am feeding them some PP 6v6 watts, and will never change a thing from here on out(yah right!) Post some photos of the rear of your speakers so I can see what you did there too. I also rounded the hole, and it just looks better.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
hifitubes
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 02/25/13 at 11:49:11

Hi Guys,

I'm sitting here thinking I need a pair of these. I was just emailed by Steve, as I'm on the list, and I turned him down.

But now I have a whizzer fall off one speaker and problems with the other and I'm frankly just frustrated....so the opportunity may arise for me to go OB and use my Decware Rachel driven direct by Zodiac Gold.

No crossover, good FR, talk of some bass (I have a sub I can us if need be)....the ONLY issue would be I have to place them on a simple, ultra minimal baffle as my rack runs across the front room already 20-24" off the floor. About ear hit when sitting.

Thoughts? I think the gear and my room could mate well. Diffusion and absorption up and we are tweaking it now with Audiolense.

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #8 - 02/25/13 at 22:48:51

I am very happy to hear about your new drivers! I cannot begin to tell you how much I LOVE these drivers in my system. I have looked for this kind of sound forever and just couldn't get it all together with other designs.
Generally, I like the switch to be set to the black speaker post, as it is a more open sound. There are definately times when I use the other position because of a recording that is too harsh to begin with. Please keep us informed on the progress. I have waited a long time for you to get these and 'tell the rest of the story'.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
hifitubes
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 02/26/13 at 04:17:30

Thanks! I'm curious how much bass these would produce on a relatively smaller baffle and they would be about 2 feet off the wall and maybe 3.5 feet from side walls.

I have a sub that could augment too.

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #10 - 02/26/13 at 21:22:11

Baffle size helps determine bass output. Generally, bigger is better. Also OB speakers will be better suited away from walls, more than 3' from the rear and 4-6' from side walls. Less backwave cancellation occurs this way, providing higher output in the lower registers. Can't say for certain but I have wondered what enclosure that the FRX would work in. Seeing how they were developed for the OB design, it would be slim to none. I usually experiment with drivers, but in this case, there just isn't a reason.

IP Logged
hifitubes
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 03/07/13 at 19:18:54

I thought the FRX2 can use 7 watts/ch max?

You using the AN 6V6 on them?

IP Logged
opnlybafld
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 03/07/13 at 23:00:45

FRX2
According to the spec's they are rated at 15 watts nominal/ 30 max.

The Qt is .76 ~ FS is high at 70Hz.
The Qt indicates that they should produce a decent amount of bass on a flat baffle*, but the FS on the other hand might suggest a higher roll off.
Not sure if they will go low enough to mate to a sub. Undecided

High Q helper woofers in an H baffle would definitely do the trick. Wink

Distance from front wall is important since the delay of the reflected sound will either add to our enjoyment or take away from it.

From the AudioKinesis website ".............reflections arriving earlier than 10 milliseconds after the direct sound tend to be detrimental to tonality, clarity, and imaging. On the other hand, reflections arriving later than 10 milliseconds behind the direct sound add richness and liveliness and a sense of envelopment with little or no detriment. Now this10 millisecond interval - corresponding to a path length difference of 11 feet - is not a hard-and-fast barrier; rather, it’s more like a fuzzy transition zone."

Lin
*baffle should be max 2x the width of the driver, less is better

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #13 - 03/14/13 at 01:18:03

I have to say that I had the same question about sub use. My findings are that the recording has a lot to do with it. Patricia Barber for example has an incredible amount of bass in her recordings. On the other side of the coin, some other recordings that you expect to have bass, don't(sorry, nothing comes to mind at the moment). But in those cases where I want to augment the bass, I use the sub at a very LOW level.

IP Logged
Damien
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 04/03/13 at 19:40:18

I barely have my sub on. You can tell it's working but you can't identify it as a source for the bass. At least you can't with my ears Wink

Now that the FRX2's have some time on them the natural bass is coming into it's own and like others here I can listen to many kinds of music without the sub on at all. But my classic rock still likes a little bass boost

The backs of my speakers are just flat black and uninteresting

http://www.macmeisters.com/~damien/built/page1/page1.html.

WWW k919596   IP Logged
deanincalgary
Verified Member

Reply #15 - 04/12/13 at 17:30:30

I have about 40 hours on my FRX2's

AWESOME!!

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #16 - 04/14/14 at 23:15:07

It's great to hear from another FRX2 owner. As it has been suggested, the drivers respond to the level of quality that drives them. I am very glad to have Rachel on my side now. I will say however, that the Audio Nirvana 6V6 was a fantastic amp as well. In some ways, I wish that I could switch between amps, just like that. Speaking of equipment, what are you using for a source/amp/etc?

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #17 - 03/06/15 at 02:19:40

Never tried the DFR8 drivers in this design, but I did just order a set of co-axial 8" speakers to fool around with. Don't worry, the FRX2 is easily my favorite sound, but I like to experiment. Now, as an aside, here is the latest experiment with BIC speaker that I just bought. Couldn't leave it alone. See next post.

P3050001_472x640.jpg

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #18 - 03/06/15 at 02:21:40

change tweeter to ribbon

P3050002_397x640.jpg

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #19 - 03/06/15 at 02:23:20

ADD A SHORT HORN. Actually sound better than I counted on.

P3050003_465x640.jpg

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print