Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 16:02:37 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Am I wasting my time with these speakers and 2W (Read 4627 times)
charlie
Verified Member

Am I wasting my time with these speakers and 2W
10/20/12 at 18:40:27

I am very interested in building a ZKit1.  I would be using it with a pair of Soliloquy 5.0 speakers.  They are reportedly tube friendly, but manufacturer recommendation is 8W minimum.

My speakers are 10 Ohm, and 88dB sensitive.

I realize that there are no guarentees, I'm more looking for:

It is reasonable to try or you are crazy , don't waste you time/money (both of which I have very little of).

I generally listen to Dave Mattews Band, James Taylor, Norah Jones, Diana Krall, and at reasonable levels.

If it is reasonable to try where is a good place to get the tubes?

Thanks for reading.

Have a great day,
Charlie

IP Logged
dank
Seasoned Member

pair of dual 18
Imperials

Re: Am I wasting my time with these speakers and 2W
Reply #1 - 10/20/12 at 22:55:24

Charlie

I assume you have an amp now that you are using.

Whether a Zkit1 will be satisfactory all boils down to how loud you want the system to play.  You would be in the 88-91 db range, 1 meter away from the speakers.  If in doubt at all, I'd spend the $25 on Ebay to buy a spl meter and see if that volume level is loud enough for you (Radio Shack use to sell one, but I think they no longer do).

You could also but two Zkit1's, bridge them, and run dual monoblocks.  This would get you in the 91-94 db range, 1 meter away.  Of coarse, its twice as expensive.

To get optimum power out of the Zkit1 into 10 ohm speakers, a different output transformer should be used.  You will not get 2w out of a Zkit1 into 10 ohm speakers using the suggested output transformer, Edcor GSXE10-6-8k.  I'm no transformer expert, but my best guess would be GSXE10-8-5k.  A call to Steve would be a good idea to confirm this.

My favorite output tube is the Russian 6p15p tube, available on Ebay, 4 for $14.  My favorite input tube is the 6N1P, which you can also get on Ebay for a couple bucks.

Dan

IP Logged
charlie
Verified Member

Re: Am I wasting my time with these speakers and 2W
Reply #2 - 10/21/12 at 01:13:51

I have that meter.  Been using it for years to calibrate the ht. Great idea, I'll give it's shot.

I also found the area where I could get the tubes from Decware site so I would just do that.

Thanks for the advice.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print