Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 10:59:43 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
HDT MKII = Awesome (Read 6627 times)
Don W

HDT MKII = Awesome
10/20/12 at 15:37:09

There just isn't much discussion of the HDT MKII on this board, or anywhere else for that matter, so I thought I should comment on the pair I picked up used recently. They were located so close to me that the seller delivered them to my door - I couldn't resist! And I just have to say, these speakers are really something. The way they fill the room with music truly surprised me the first time I heard them. I thought the advertised efficiency rating of 94 must be a mistake, surely they were louder than that. They have all the punch, presence and detail you could hope for at even the lowest volumes. The bass is solid, deep, fully present and very musical. The mids are clean and clear and the highs are well articulated with a very beautiful presence. These speakers sound just like you would expect a really nice pair of HI-FI speakers to sound like. Music just sounds GOOD on these speakers. It doesn't matter all that much where you sit, either. The sound stage fills the whole room quite well, though there is a sweet spot where channel separation becomes more noticeable if you want that.

I also have the ERRs and the MG944s. Something I like to do is play these two speakers simultaneously, one pair through the Mini-Torri and the other through the Taboo, where both amps are sourced by the same DAC that has two outputs. They complement each other very well. You get the full base of the MG944s combined with the openness of the ERRs. The HDT MKIIs are a lot like the ERRs and MG944s combined into a single speaker. Somehow.

Decware: Taboo, CSP2+, Mini-Torii, MG944, ERR, Zen Styx, DSR-II interconnects, DHC-1 power cables. Other: Audeze LCD-3 w/ Q cables, EE Mini-Max DAC Plus, Audio-gd SA-1 DAC, Audio-gd DI-DSP USB to Coaxial converter. Homemade PC with JRiver Media Center.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: HDT MKII = Awesome
Reply #1 - 10/20/12 at 15:54:57

Congrats Don! You have an embarrassment of riches there! Smiley

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Don W

Reply #2 - 10/21/12 at 00:39:22

You are right, Lon. A good thing about not having children and being single is extra fun money. But someday I suppose I will need to make choices and let some of my Decware go to other homes. I entered the world of audiophile and was somehow fortunate enough to discover Decware right away. Since then I have had an incurable curiosity for all things Decware. Kind of like another person might collect the work of a single artist they love. Now I'm itching to find out what the Super Zen is all about...

Decware: Taboo, CSP2+, Mini-Torii, MG944, ERR, Zen Styx, DSR-II interconnects, DHC-1 power cables. Other: Audeze LCD-3 w/ Q cables, EE Mini-Max DAC Plus, Audio-gd SA-1 DAC, Audio-gd DI-DSP USB to Coaxial converter. Homemade PC with JRiver Media Center.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 10/21/12 at 02:42:08

I understand. I sold extra Decware amps that I had accumulated to satisfy my own curiosity, and gave away my RL-2s. One of these days if I get a new bedroom (still not sure if I'll move to another house, and if so where) I might try a Super Zen in place of my Torii Mk II. Would be so cool with a set of the DNA Horns I bet. Those are also Decware products I'm curious about.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print