Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 13:44:19 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
CSP2+ and Taboo Question (Read 8479 times)
JimM
Verified Member

CSP2+ and Taboo Question
10/03/12 at 19:47:04

I recently took delivery of a Taboo amp and it's still breaking in though sounds quite impressive so far. It's driving a pair of Zu Essence speakers and being fed by an Audio Research SP9 Mk III pre. I understand that the output of most pre amps available today might not be sufficient to drive the Taboo to deliver it's best. While the Taboo is rated at 6 wpc, the consensus is with my SP9 using a 12AT7 or 12AX7 in the driver I can expect about 4 watts. Surprisingly this 4 watts has a much bigger sound than my 3.5 Bottlehead Paramours (which just seem to run out of gas just as things get interesting). Here's my question. Are there any Taboo users who have had experience driving it with both a pre with a more conventional output and then a CSP2+ which is capable of a higher output? Notwithstanding any sonic differences, was there a significant difference in volume between the two pre amps?

Thanks. Jim

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: CSP2+ and Taboo Question
Reply #1 - 10/03/12 at 20:08:55

Can't answer regarding the Taboo as I've not heard one. I did use a CSP2 with a pair of monoblocks that Steve built that were five or six amps, and the CSP2 did make the perceived volume louder. ..by about 15 percent or so (?)

I mainly wanted to say: Welcome!

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
JimM
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 10/03/12 at 22:21:18

Lon, thanks for the welcome. I've been following the Taboo since it's intoduction a few years back and decided to pull the trigger this past April. So far, so good.

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 10/04/12 at 01:13:36

I have posted extensive impressions of the TABOO/CSP2 combination. The main thing to remember is that with the CSP2 pushing the TABOO it fleshes out its full potential. That means more volume, more weight and authority.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
ZENCDUSER

Reply #4 - 10/04/12 at 02:03:49

Hey River,
What is your impression of the CSP+ with the SE84C?  Did you find the same type and level of improvement?

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 10/04/12 at 14:18:56

The ZEN has more gain than the TABOO. So the ZEN is not so much in need of more volume via a preamplifier. The CSP2 adds increased weight and authority to the ZEN sound, without necessarily increasing volume. When you turn the ZEN up around 85-90% of full volume it starts clipping. The sound is nice, though. With the preamp, you can put the volume all the way up on the ZEN and have more control using the CSP2.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6 - 10/04/12 at 15:34:56

Rivieraranch wrote on 10/04/12 at 14:18:56:
. When you turn the ZEN up around 85-90% of full volume it starts clipping. The sound is nice, though. With the preamp, you can put the volume all the way up on the ZEN and have more control using the CSP2.

That clipping would be source and system dependent.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print