Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/16/24 at 07:28:39 

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Anyone tried the inexpensive Shuguang 274B rectis? (Read 59184 times)
orangecrush
Seasoned Member

Re: Anyone tried the inexpensive Shuguang 274B rectis?
Reply #50 - 11/17/12 at 23:22:36

Yeah, it is a huge sound stage! For my taste its not exaggerated but more front row. I think it depends where you want to sit. I do agree  some music it can be bit in your face but, I usually just turn down the volume a tad. It seems to be louder. The highs are so extended yet so smooth.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #51 - 11/17/12 at 23:32:30

Yes, I like the highs. I'm not as fond of the lower frequencies, wish there was a bit more heft. The soundstage does seem a bit exaggerated to me. Anyway, I'm not a first row fan, so it's taking me some time to get a grip.

I'm getting used to these and like them a lot. Once I get about 150 hours on them or so I'll decide whether they'll be a back up pair or my steady diet. At this point I'd recommend them to any Torii user, they may not end up being a favorite (I miss several pairs of RCA 5U4Gs right now myself, just for that imaging and sound stage "neutrality". but they should be tried out, they're got a lot to offer, and don't seem to be electrically stressed.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
orangecrush
Seasoned Member

Reply #52 - 11/18/12 at 06:05:54

Sorry along I can't remember anymore, are you using RCA 5U4G coke bottles or the straight shoulder ones?

I found the ST coke bottles to be light in the bass department, but never tried any of the regular straight shoulder types.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #53 - 11/18/12 at 12:51:59

I've actually used both and have had good bass from both types. Had been using some excellent coke bottle types until one won't play in the right channel of my Torii III which has issues with bube contact, and I have two pair of straight shoulders that I like to use in both Toriis. I find these tubes give a touch of lower mid, upper bass warmth that I'm very used to and like very much and the Valve Art don't yet exhibit.

Maybe I'll get over it. Putting the Power Plant Premier into "multi-wave" mode helps a bit. More likely after I hear how these Valve Arts sound after 150 or 200 hours and they aren't significantly changed I'll keep them as a back up pair or use them in the Torii II.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #54 - 11/19/12 at 19:32:19

The Valve Art 274B pair had about 80 hours on them and I decided to put them in backup status for a while. I put the RCA 5U4G rectifiers that I had been using just before and signed a bit of relief. These present just that little bit of warmth that I had been missing the last few days. The output dropped a bit, which surprised me a little. I think the 274B will be in again in time, but right now with the ZP3 being broken in I'm happy and familiar with this sound and have one less thing to critically listen to / for.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #55 - 01/18/13 at 20:51:26

Anyone enjoying these valves and want to try them cryo'd I pulled Ron Sheldon of cryoset.com's coat tails towards them and he has some cryo'd now.

IP Logged
orangecrush
Seasoned Member

Reply #56 - 01/20/13 at 00:42:02

Thanks Northery heads up Lon. I will order a set.

IP Logged
orangecrush
Seasoned Member

Reply #57 - 01/20/13 at 00:43:04

Thanks for the heads up Lon. I will order a set.

IP Logged
Alfa58
Verified Member

Reply #58 - 01/20/13 at 02:07:55

Cool!  The Torii Mk2 that I just acquired came with the Valve Art version of the 274B, sounds good.  Might grab some of these for future use.

- Michael

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #59 - 01/20/13 at 05:14:58

Thanks also Lon. Ordered some today.

All Modified: Balanced Transformer-DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender-RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro-ZBIT-CSP3-OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV, Simple Wave 300B-HR1/SVS Micro3000sub-Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Alfa58
Verified Member

Reply #60 - 01/20/13 at 19:25:01

I have the Valve Art 274Bs that came with my Torii Mk2 (modified to run these).  I was noticing a bit of sibilance, decided to try the NOS RCA 5U4Gs that I have, and the issue disappeared.  They are relatively new, so it could be that they aren't burned in yet, but wondering if anyone has compared the Valve Arts to the Shuguangs?  

- Michael

IP Logged
orangecrush
Seasoned Member

Reply #61 - 02/24/13 at 21:30:48

PaleRider (Greg), did you try the 274B yet?

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #62 - 02/25/13 at 06:12:05

Sorry, not yet. I had hoped to do so this weekend, but I just ran out of time.

1: PS Audio DirectStream | BHK Preamp & Monoblocks | Legacy Audio Aeris
2: MSB Select II | Custom T2 & Mjolnir Carbon CC | Stax SR-009 & 007
3: Lumin A1 | HeadAmp GS-X mk2 |Meze Empyrean & HEDDphone
4. Schiit Vidar | RAAL Requisite SR1a
  IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #63 - 02/25/13 at 14:04:24

Italia64 wrote:
Quote:
I have the Valve Art 274Bs that came with my Torii Mk2 (modified to run these).

Italia64, maybe you have mentioned this elsewhere, but what modifications were made to your Torii for the 274B tubes?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #64 - 02/25/13 at 14:11:06

Yes, I'm running these for the nonce in my Torii Mk II and Mk III (cryo'd in the III) and no modification was necessary. They're more like 5U4G than other 274Bs.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #65 - 02/28/13 at 14:04:44

I'm liking the cryo'd version of this considerably more than the non-cryo'd. There's a mellowness and a richness, a slight darkness as well, which was what I needed from this tube in my system. The soundstage is still more forward than I like. . . but I'm acclimating and the positives are convincing me to leave these in.

I got a pair of matched RCA 5Y3GT however to try, I'm burning them in as part of a complement in my Torii Mk II before putting them in the Mk III. Maybe over the weekend. . . . Preliminary listening there makes me think they'll sound great. It's one tube type I have not yet tried in the Toriis.

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #66 - 03/04/13 at 20:35:26

I finally got a chance to try the Preferred Shuguang 274B that I ordered from The Tube Store, and compare them to the Philips 5R4GYS I obtained from Upscale Audio.

I tried each in my recently returned Ultra, and in my front side Torii. It's a bit of a toss-up in the Ultra, where I perceive the soundstage to be a bit wider, and the background blacker, but in the Torii, the Philips exhibits better and tighter mid-bass and bass control. On double bass, the difference is not subtle. For half the price, though, the Shuguang 274B is a bargain.

I have not yet tried the ValveArt 274B from Cryoset, but I am going to. As I understand it, it is the same maker/make as the Shuguang. Getting it cryo'ed from Cryoset even cheaper is just sweet.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print