Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 17:08:54 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Comparison between Rachel and I.2 (Read 14403 times)
ZENCDUSER

Comparison between Rachel and I.2
08/30/12 at 02:39:04

I know not many units are out there, but would like to hear Steve's or anyone's views between the two.  I understand Rachel is bridgeable, has meters to monitor tube performance, and doesn't have the dual power supply (and consequently one less tube). But I'm curious if there is a difference in sound between the I.2 and Rachel

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Comparison between Rachel and I.2
Reply #1 - 08/30/12 at 03:02:56

I haven't heard the new one. But. .. I don't think Steve would have put it out unless it sounded improved! Smiley

My guess is that the noise floor is lower and it sounds overall "crisper." But that's just a guess. I really loved my .2.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
ZENCDUSER

Reply #2 - 08/31/12 at 15:47:03

I hope so Lon!  I left a message a few days ago and am still waiting for a response. I'm asking because this is the first time where I didnt see a mention of sound improvement.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 08/31/12 at 16:01:27

Did you see this thread? Steve says it's a "lucid" improvement in the fist post . . . .

https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1327279616

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #4 - 08/31/12 at 18:08:47

Quote:
I hope so Lon!  I left a message a few days ago and am still waiting for a response. I'm asking because this is the first time where I didnt see a mention of sound improvement.

Sorry, I never got your message.  The new amp has better transparency and improved imaging.  Otherwise it sounds exactly the same as the SE34I.2

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
ZENCDUSER

Reply #5 - 08/31/12 at 20:49:55

Thanks Steve and Lon!  I see the link shows lucid was a tlittle too much to include now. Having owned a Select, SEOTL, and Carina  in the past I've come to the conlcusion that I need a little more power for my taste and listening habits. SS is great (particularly bass and overall ease of sound), but I'm returning to the tube ranks. I was cautiously looking at the I2 before I just learned it had been replaced. Cautious because I've never heard an EL34 integrated that I liked over the tube amps I've owned...but optimistic the Decware integrated carries the core family sound. The forums suggest that!  I guess the next question would be if mono SE84C+s would be even better  :)  I have 98db Tekton Lores

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #6 - 09/01/12 at 04:30:01

What is the impedance of the Lores?

WWW   IP Logged
ZENCDUSER

Reply #7 - 09/04/12 at 21:53:16

Steve,
The Lores are 98bd at 8 Ohm. Eric at Tekton stated the impedance in the bass is generally 8, the upper freqs are around 5.5, with the highest impedance being around 18ohm at 1 khz.   Also, a lot of his customers use various Decware amplification!

But now that you have the Super Zen coming I'm tempted to try that, since my last speaker with the Select was a pair of Forte 1s, which had a more complex crossover but sounded well with the Select

IP Logged
Morganc

Reply #8 - 09/06/12 at 01:38:23

I had a pair of Lores with the Mini Torii and the results were spectacular.   Amazing combo actually.   Good luck on the decision Smiley.

IP Logged
ZENCDUSER

Reply #9 - 09/06/12 at 04:56:21

Thanks Morgan.  I've been running the Lores with a Dayens Ecstasy IIb integrated (big brother of their Ampino) with stunning sound. 70 watts SS, but with much of the tube qualities!   The bass, tone, control, power, dynamics are something I dont want to be without again...but crave a little more tube (or tube like) magic and openness.

IP Logged
ZENCDUSER

Reply #10 - 09/07/12 at 05:53:03

Morgan, what did you get rid of..the Lores or the Mini? I spoke with Steve today and perhaps the mini Torri would be best for me since I do not want to concede any bass extension or control.  Another option is two mono Super Zens which will see 4 ohms (versus the Lores 8 ohms).  I have another option: upgrade the Mundorf Mcap ZN capacitors (2) in the signal path of my integrated to Mundorf Supreme Silver in Oil.  That may give me very close to what I want...while retaining that powerful deep bass and control.  I'm familiar with their sound....which is stunning. Lush with detail and soundstage

IP Logged
Morganc

Reply #11 - 09/07/12 at 18:21:12

I picked up the Lores from a friend locally and just wanted to hear what all the buzz was about.  They were too small for my main rig so I had them in my bedroom with the Mini Torii and the sound was so nice in the small room.  However, as I was and am still raising funds for a new home, I had to sell the Lores and I regretfully sold the MT also Sad.  Now I am looking to buy another, as it was a beauty with amazing tone and timbre.  

Good luck on your choice.  The mini tori is amazing.  Another option would be adding a tube buffer into your system.  I have one actually that could use  a new home if you are interested, shoot me a pm.

Cheers,
Morgan

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print