Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 20:22:39 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
WO32s are finally done (Read 17466 times)
deucekazoo
Seasoned Member

WO32s are finally done
08/24/12 at 14:18:34

I have had the plans for ever and finally found time to build them. I made them out of birch plywood. I made two of them, this way I can run them in stereo under each speaker. The idea was to have them double as a stand to lift the main speakers up. I need to see how this will work. I might add sides to them later and stand them next to the main speakers. I will experiment later. Right now I have the open side sitting on the floor. I only listened to one yesterday because I ran out of hook up wire. Need to order some more to get the other one working. Once I have both up and running I will post my impressions.

John

IP Logged
deucekazoo
Seasoned Member

Re: WO32s are finally done
Reply #1 - 08/24/12 at 14:19:49

PIC 1

2012-08-22_17_24_16.jpg
  IP Logged
deucekazoo
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 08/24/12 at 14:20:58

PIC 2

2012-08-23_19_36_01.jpg
  IP Logged
deucekazoo
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 08/24/12 at 14:22:13

PIC 3

2012-08-23_19_36_44.jpg
  IP Logged
deucekazoo
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 08/24/12 at 14:38:07

I will veneer them later to match the walnut/birch combo of the main speakers. I just wanted to hear them first. From what I heard last night, they are very quick. They just perfectly fill in with the main speakers. The main speakers are a recommended enclosure for the Fostex 166-ESRs with a phase plug and the HiVi RT1C-A Planar Isodynamic Tweeter Xed in at 15K to help the top.

IP Logged
deucekazoo
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 08/24/12 at 14:47:24

PIC

2012-08-24_07_15_14.jpg
  IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Reply #6 - 08/25/12 at 17:40:31

John,

All I can say is NICE!!

Very nice build!!!

Zygi

All Decware amps and sources, Turning Point Audio speakers
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #7 - 08/25/12 at 19:09:07

Deuce,

I ain't messin' with you. You have swords, knives and axes hangin' on your wall!
The build looks real good! You have true skills!

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
deucekazoo
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 08/27/12 at 16:16:07

Thanks ZYGI,
The angles were a little tough for me.

Donnie,
Thanks, but nothing to worry about .... I don't have any axes yet, yet!

I listened to just one of them yesterday for a while. I am still waiting for my wire to finish up the second one. This time I actually had it under the speaker when I listen to it. I let it run for a while and then put some music on that I am used to. I have to tell you, this thing is very impressive. It’s not a normal sub. It is low, tight and just fills in perfectly. It’s as it is not there. Hard to explain in words. I had the brother in law over and he listened to it. He first asked me if the sub was on. So I turned off the amp and you heard all the bass go away. It just blends in so well. If you want a sub that pounds and over powers like you hear in peoples cars, it is not for you. If you want a sub that blends, and supports the lower octaves like it was meant to sound, this is your sub. I listed to one song that I am used to. Well in there you have a passage that has a nice low bass tone. This was the first time I actually heard this tone and noticed it had two quick beats to it. It’s the little things like that that makes this sub great.
It’s not an easy build but if you need a sub that is musical and accurate then build this thing!!!  or have ZYGI build one for you.
Can't wait to see how two of them will sound together.

John

IP Logged
Jung
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 08/28/12 at 15:54:34

What woofers did you use?

IP Logged
deucekazoo
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 08/28/12 at 17:35:30

I used the VIFA M26WR-09-08 drivers.
I bought a pair long time ago for these and then was lucky enought to find a used pair about a year ago.

IP Logged
deucekazoo
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 09/04/12 at 16:29:53

Finally received my wire to finish the second pair.
Hooked them up and let them play for a while to let them break in.
If I had to sum them up in one word I would say impressive/impressed. Very impressed. Like I mentioned before it is hard to explain the bass. It is so deep, low, and they blend so well. With the second one I had to turn the volume down on them. If I turn them up everything in the room shakes depending on the song. This is at moderate listening levels. Very happy with them.

John

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print