Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 10:37:44 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
the hieght of listen to speakers (Read 11853 times)
jameskk
Seasoned Member

the hieght of listen to speakers
08/17/12 at 12:20:00

I and my friend Jeff , we both own torii mkiii and i own various zen amps . Both of us own basically the same speakers audio nirvana 2.8 cabinets with 10 in. drivers in them . both sound very good , however , jeff feels we should be sitting with our ears at the same hieght  as the center of the drivers or below it . seems when you do "slouch down" that the sound gets a little more open . this is Jeffs find more than mine . so I wonder if theres any more comments on this ????????

IP Logged
deucekazoo
Seasoned Member

Re: the hieght of listen to speakers
Reply #1 - 08/17/12 at 13:45:35

I believe this to be true. You want the driver to be at ear level. If you notice some speakers are even made angled back so that the driver is pointing upward. I read somewhere that the best place to listen is sitting on the floor. All I can say is try it and see what happens. Sit on the floor or just place something under the front of the speaker to tilt them back. See what sounds good to you.

John

IP Logged
jameskk
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 08/23/12 at 12:22:05

yes Duece am looking at adirondack chairs which put you close to the floor and pretty comfortable. I too have tilted my speakers back about 5degrees which my help or hinder the laser setup per Get Better Sound does on speakers , which makes alot of sense to me. with the Sears craftsman laser level i was allowed to even get the tilt angle close on both speakers. an anal practice but it makes a difference....... can really get things close from one end of the room to the other.........

IP Logged
Emanuel Sefay
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 10/11/13 at 06:32:22

I personally feel that what Jeff is saying is true.

IP Logged
jameskk
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 10/13/13 at 11:36:09

Since I posted this there have been changes in speaker choice which angled the drivers back about5 degrees and looses 3 db in efficiency. The speaker is a plus in small rooms and only a 4 inch driver, anyway the driver being angled back gives me slightly better sound at the height I sit at . So Take the time, and try this simple adjustment!

IP Logged
JSantos
Verified Member

Reply #5 - 03/01/16 at 15:10:55

Not really a professional on speaker/monitor placements, but a rule of thumb I often use in my studio when using new type of equipment is to make sure they're used as they're intended.

I know some guys who would jump right in with their new speakers and monitors not knowing that their speakers and monitors were meant for distances farther than nearfield listening.

Some speakers may be small in size but are actually meant for far-field or surround use. Maybe they're just small in size. But test it out and you'll hear what I mean.

For example, the ancient Bose II Roomate Speakers are smaller than most nearfield monitors, yet they're meant to be placed in the corners of a room for better listening.

IP Logged
Lin
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 03/01/16 at 23:03:50

Good points JSantos.
Experimenting with placement can yield surprising results sometimes.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #7 - 03/03/16 at 04:19:06

I noticed this thread because I always get excited when people talk about room acoustics and the thread somewhat jumped out at me!

Over the years I have made three observations that might fit well into this thread.

1) With many speakers I find a slight tilt back makes a big difference.
2) The floor bounce between the speaker and the listener has a much larger effect than people realize.
3) The distance above the floor has a sweet spot where you get the best imaging and frequency balance.

It would be important to address the floor bounce by finding the correct floor mat to scatter the sound at mid-range frequencies.  You simply place it centered directly in front of each speaker, even if you have carpet already, it's not the same.

I spent a whole winter experimenting with different mats and found the following to be the best so far:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008BW6LSO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF...

Andersen 221 Waterhog Fashion Diamond Polypropylene Fiber Entrance Indoor/Outdoor Floor Mat, SBR Rubber Backing, 3' Length x 2' Width, 3/8" Thick, Dark Brown

Having this essential but simple tweak in place will greatly effect where you perceive the best speaker placement and listening spot.  It will also change how you feel about the mid-range of your speakers.

WWW   IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 03/03/16 at 10:39:37

On many records, all prog rock in particular, I get multi level sounds from 2 ft up, to ceiling height. It`s amazing how the engineer does it. I get how he spreads the soundstage left to right but up and down is clever. ( somebody doesn`t climb a stepladder to play an instument do they?)
This may be easier for me to unlock with e/stats and a uni pivot/MC combo but I also think that most good speakers and playback will also recreate the vertical plane.
..and it all comes through the Decware amps, so they have a part in this very entertaining floor to ceiling 3D panarama.
My stats were tilted back when I bought them but now I prefer large cushions and sit at ground level ( necessity really, a settee would bring me too far into the not large room. ). I removed their spikes and placed them on Sonic Isopads. I have 15, 18 X 18" foam absorbers behind me and 2 corner traps behind the rear firing ports.

One eccentric thing I have just done is to arrange my albums which are in a  5 tier 6`high rack as if they are a bass diffuser.  :)

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #9 - 03/06/16 at 16:53:30

I found that the sound of my old Sequerra Metronome system was best sitting on the floor, way better. Now with my Omega 7XRS's which have a built in tilt and a great floor rug my wife bought (floor bounce all gone, thank you dear) that sitting on the couch is now the best seat in the house. Also a heck of a lot more comfortable. Happy listening, Chris.

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print