Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 23:41:23 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Joined the Decware Family Today (Read 1132 times)
KMokc
Seasoned Member

Joined the Decware Family Today
07/31/12 at 23:42:06

I joined the Decware family today! I ordered the Zen Select today. When it arrives I will try out some bookshelf speakers I have on hand (JM Labs Micron Carat 88db/6ohm). I will be using my Apex Audio speaker cables and my dac will be my PS Audio Digital Link III with my Mac Mini running full resolution and Pure Music software. I also want to thank everyone who has posted on the forums as they have help alot!

Wanted to also take this opportunity to thank DeVon for all her help today with taking my order.

Looking forward to the day I get to hear my new amp!

Kevin

Sys 1:Rachel,Blumenstein Deluxe Orcas,Teac UD-501,Regen,MacBook Pro,Silnote RCA's,Rega RP6 GT Sub-plater,CW,Dynavector 20X2H,Nova II Sys2:Torii JR,CSP3&ZP3,Omega Super Alnico Monitors w/Skylan stands,Teac UD-501,Regen,Mac Mini,VPI Prime TT w/Ortofon Black,GH Cable
  IP Logged
Doorman
Seasoned Member

"pouring from
the empty into the
void"

Re: Joined the Decware Family Today
Reply #1 - 07/31/12 at 23:46:18

Great purchase! The Zen Select, when partnered with appropriate gear, is very hard to outperform.
It will possibly never be the "weakest-link"
Happy listening!
Don

Decware, Rega, Heybrook/Linn/Ortofon
Goertz/Wireworld/cat-5/MarkAudio Alpair 10.2 drivers
(eN) in DIY Mar-Ken cabs
NHT SB3’s
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #2 - 08/01/12 at 00:16:04

Congratulations Kevin! The wait will be hard, but you'll have amazing sound soon! Welcome to the forum!

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 08/01/12 at 02:55:05

Hey Kevin and Welcome. Amazing sound coming your way!

I am concerned though. Efficiency ratings seem to be somewhat "flexible," but if 88dB is accurate for your speakers, even though Decware amps have a high "usable power" ratio, with those speakers, I imagine the amp will be pretty quiet. I hope I am wrong.

Good Luck!

Will

All Modified: Balanced Transformer-DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender-RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro-ZBIT-CSP3-OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV, Simple Wave 300B-HR1/SVS Micro3000sub-Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 08/01/12 at 02:59:36

He should try the amp with his speakers first and see if it meshes.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #5 - 08/01/12 at 17:39:21

I honestly think Decware offers the ideal tradeoff design in this case: Mini-Torii.  It keeps most of the benefits of a SET and provides not only double the power of a single Zen, but much in terms of added dynamics.

Sonically, I don't buy there's a very tangible difference between a SET and a SEP.  The beam tetrode wired as a pentode-based Mini shares the combined characteristics of SETs and Push-Pull amps, for the low-power need.

In addition, it provides both input and output tube regulation circuitry, as in the flagship Torii.  All in all, it is the best niche solution for this case.  The only other alterrnative is to get a pair of speakers with actual sensitivities above 94 dBs at, say, 4 Ohms.

I'd definitely encourage a test with the Parkers first, assuming you can return the Zen if not satisfied, but Will's point is crucial, I believe.

Toshiba-Foobar2K-ASIO Direct-WD 2.0Tb HDD-Schiit USB cable-Schiit Yggdrasil DAC-Decware Silver Ref IC's-Decware Mini Torii SE-8PR Kimber Kable spkr cbls-Decware DM945's-Tekton Lore 2-Velodyne DLS 3500 SUB-BJC SUB Cbls-Tripp Lite 500 Isolation Trnsf-Jellyfish S
  IP Logged
KMokc
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 08/02/12 at 00:50:30

Thanks all for the replies. Will you point is well taken. Per Steve's advice on the website I wanted to try my current mini monitors and see how they work. I do believe that Will is correct and the speakers won't play loud enough and a new pair of speakers will be in my future. One note for this setup I will be listening in a very near field setting at this point in time.

That would change if i can get the soon to be spare bedroom for a dedicated room.

I have 4 on my list in no particular order Decware DM945/MG944,Parker 95 Sigs,Blumenstein Orcas with sub.

I think the amp will be great and I will just have to wait and see on the speakers.

Also do any on you have any suggestions on a power cable for then Zen Select?

Thanks,
Kevin

Sys 1:Rachel,Blumenstein Deluxe Orcas,Teac UD-501,Regen,MacBook Pro,Silnote RCA's,Rega RP6 GT Sub-plater,CW,Dynavector 20X2H,Nova II Sys2:Torii JR,CSP3&ZP3,Omega Super Alnico Monitors w/Skylan stands,Teac UD-501,Regen,Mac Mini,VPI Prime TT w/Ortofon Black,GH Cable
  IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #7 - 08/02/12 at 03:47:22

I'm sorry, earlier I meant the JM Labs Micron Carat speakers, not the Parkers.

Toshiba-Foobar2K-ASIO Direct-WD 2.0Tb HDD-Schiit USB cable-Schiit Yggdrasil DAC-Decware Silver Ref IC's-Decware Mini Torii SE-8PR Kimber Kable spkr cbls-Decware DM945's-Tekton Lore 2-Velodyne DLS 3500 SUB-BJC SUB Cbls-Tripp Lite 500 Isolation Trnsf-Jellyfish S
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #8 - 08/02/12 at 15:18:32

Kevin,

In regards to power cables for the amps, I find that the PS Audio power cables that use the "single crystal" copper in various windings and gauge and shape mixes have a real magic with Decware amps, I've tried them on three different models.

The cheapest they made that can be found used was the xStream Plus SC (SC is paramount here, they made an earlier Plus without the single crystal copper). This would be an excellent cord to look for for your amp. But be careful, there are lots of forged versions of these, I wouldn't buy one from China or Hong Kong. They are made there, and there are lots of copies that use the trappings, but not the real wire.

I think I assumed correctly at the beginning:  you are going to try the amp with your present speakers, and you know what? I've been surprised before at how these amps work with speakers, especially in a near field listening set up you may be good to go for some time!

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 08/02/12 at 22:45:34

While I have read that the Parkers are highly compatible with ZEN amps, I cannot recommend highly enough the MG944 floor standing, full-range speaker. With this you would not have to futz around with a subwoofer. That in and of itself would be a Godsend. Keep that on the top of your list. You will be so in love with the ZEN amp that you will literally have to "get a [listening] room."

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
KMokc
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 10/10/12 at 04:47:33

Hey all the wait is finally coming to an end. I received the e-mail today that my amp is in Shipping status. D-day is this Friday. So looking forward to hearing the amp in person.

Any help on how many cycles of 5 on 5 off to do for break in?

Thanks,
Kevin Cool Grin

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #11 - 10/10/12 at 05:03:19

Awesome Kevin! Just a few more days! Congrats!

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 10/10/12 at 11:18:32

If the amp is shipping now it is the latest generation, a Super Zen version. You may be the first one with a Select in the updated Super Zen configuration. Just run the thing 5 hours on/5 hours off for a week and then you will be fully run in.

55   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #13 - 10/10/12 at 13:41:57

Jim is right. Steve's actual recommendation: five hours on, subsequently at least five hours off, and this process five times. Gets a good head start on the breaok-in.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print