04/19/24 at 01:19:39 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Vcaps? (Read 6911 times)
roggae
Seasoned Member

Vcaps?
07/16/12 at 23:10:07

Can anyone explain to me what these do to the sound of an amp? Ive had my mini torii for a few months now and am thinking of ways to mod it out. I had ajolida 302 b and after i sent it back to jolida to have the caps upgraded it came back syrupy and liquid. I loved it. I replaced it with the decware and im wondering if the caps will affect the sound this way. What mods other than tube rolling do you all suggest?

Thanks!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Vcaps?
Reply #1 - 07/16/12 at 23:18:07

A disclaimer: I haven't ever heard an amp with V-Caps, but "syrupy and liquid" doesn't sound like the way I've heard their sound described. I've heard Decware amps that are liquid sounding, but never syrupy--I don't think that's possible, that's too colored for a Decware amp as I understand the sound. . . .

I know of one Torii owner who has had great success along the lines of a direction I think you want to travel with paper in oil caps. . . .

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Les Lammers
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 08/05/12 at 14:29:01

Caps are subjective and personal preference is a major factor.  V-Caps were in an Almarro 205 I bought used and *I* did not care for them...too clinical sounding. You will need to try different caps and decide. Me? I'm a paper in oil guy. You may not be.  ;)

IP Logged
sberger
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 08/05/12 at 16:21:52

Probably depends on the piece of equipment the caps are going in more than anything. My Torii had the Vcaps upgrade a few weeks back and clinical is the last word I would use to describe it's sound.

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 08/05/12 at 17:08:12

I ordered my TABOO with Vcaps and at first it did not sound different than the other TABOO I owned. Now after trying out the different amps in rotation, the TABOO sounds very sweet, detailed and musical with the Vcaps. They are well worn in. I played the amp several hours per day five days per week in an office setting for nearly 2 years so it is fully seasoned.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Les Lammers
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 08/15/12 at 23:06:47

Probably depends on the piece of equipment the caps are going in more than anything. My Torii had the Vcaps upgrade a few weeks back and clinical is the last word I would use to describe it's sound.

Caps, like tubes, have a signature. There is no right or wrong, What matters is that you like what you hear. To me, V-caps sound dry and sterile or clinical or whatever adjective you choose. FWIW, I tried the OIMP V-Caps but no dice for me. As always, YMMV. Synergy is the key.  ;)

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print