Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 14:47:40 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Looking for Torii-friendly speaker suggestions (Read 13948 times)
Jisora
Ex Member

Looking for Torii-friendly speaker suggestions
06/29/12 at 22:21:18

Hi all,

Looking for impressions on readily available (new or used in U.S.) high efficiency towers under $2,000/pair that folks are happily using with the Torii.  Have been looking at the MG944 (of course!) as well as the Axiom M80 and Aperion VGT.  Seems like a limited selection at 92dB and up.

A little more background to help you target comments...

I'm in the process of turning my 13x19 office into a more dedicated listening space.  Source is streaming 320kbps which I currently listen to via headphones and a Nuforce Icon HDP.

I had planned on replacing my old computer 2.1 with a decent bookshelf + sub setup.  Speaker budget around $1,500, including sub and stands.  (Amp is the eMotiva mini-X for now.)   After doing more reading, I realized that I could probably get floor standing with better sound stage for not much more than a decent bookshelf + sub setup.  This is stereo only - no movies.  

I listen to just about everything from 1700 to current, so looking for good all rounders.

My next upgrade is likely to be a Torii, so I'd like to buy the speakers in preparation for the amp.  Effusive praise for the 944s is expected and welcome but I would be interested in other experience and comparisons as well.

Many thanks!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Looking for Torii-friendly speaker suggestions
Reply #1 - 06/29/12 at 23:09:54

I'm going to throw in a suggestion that you consider the ERRs. The room is just big enough to make them work with some planning, and they'll throw a huge soundstage and image instruments wonderfully.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
sberger
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 06/30/12 at 00:09:25

I was originally using Klipsch Fortes with my Torii which were really good. Klipsch and Decware have a real nice synergy. Then I got a hankering to try something different and really wanted to go the ERR route but couldn't find a used pair. When I was looking, a pair of Tonian Acoustic TL-D1 floor standers came up for sale not too far from where I live. I did some research and read some incredible things. The price was right so I went for them and love them. 95db efficient, huge stage and great tone. They seem to handle everything I throw at them really well. Funny thing is that not long after I got them my Torii bit the dust and is now in E. Peoria for repair. So I'm using the Tonian's with my Fisher 500C tube receiver and they sound great with that as well. New they are a little over your budget at $2500 but they do come up used from time to time. Just something else to consider. Good luck.

Mine look exactly like these:

IP Logged
sberger
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 06/30/12 at 04:24:41

Well coincidentally a pair of TL-D1's have just gone on sale on Audiogon. I have absolutely no connection with the seller but in the event the OP has any interest here is the link to the ad. These don't come up very often used.

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/tonian-tl-d1-mkii-95db-speakers

IP Logged
Doorman
Seasoned Member

"pouring from
the empty into the
void"

Reply #4 - 06/30/12 at 05:58:45

If you have DIY skills, there are some very satisfying designs available, at
often a fraction of the cost of manufactured units.
Good Luck with your search
Don

Decware, Rega, Heybrook/Linn/Ortofon
Goertz/Wireworld/cat-5/MarkAudio Alpair 10.2 drivers
(eN) in DIY Mar-Ken cabs
NHT SB3’s
  IP Logged
Jisora
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 06/30/12 at 12:20:50

Thanks to all.  I hadn't looked seriously at the ERR, and didn't know about the Tonians.  

Anyone able to do a brief comparison of the 944 vs. ERR - ideally on a Torii?  I've read most of the material on the site - looking for subjective impressions of the two vs each other.

IP Logged
sberger
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 06/30/12 at 17:44:36

I bet Steve D. has. Give him a call. And while your at it ask him how the fix on my Torii is going. Cool

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 06/30/12 at 17:51:45

I have not heard of anyone on this forum talking about having both the ERRs and MG944, but I may have missed it.

I think one thing to consider with the Decware line is that they are family, designed, voiced and built by the same guys. So the overall sound of each will have different qualities inherent to the design, but what is determined as sounding the best within the design is based in similar criteria and the same critical listener "squad." They work until it sounds like music!

I have 944s and HR-Ones, the HR-Ones combining front driver/tweeter and a radial. They both are awesome, and quite similar in many ways, being neutral, great extension, smooth detail, deep, natural sounding bass...not too tight, not too loose.

In my room, the HR-Ones are mellower and more refined, and my MG944s (a few years ago version), a little more forward, and I would say a little faster feeling (no inductor coil in mine). I, personally, would not call them too forward, and I would not take these comparisons as degrading to the MG...I really like the speaker. The HR-One radial is a sweet driver though, beautifully implemented, and it rounds out the sound nicely contributing to a smooth and sweet midrange that probably has more noticeable micro detail/texture. I can't say if I would like the ERRs or not, but I do like the front driver effect. In my room, both speakers provide an amazing sound stage, wide...deep and saturated, with very convincing ambience close and far that stretches out forever.

Hopefully, some useful comparisons will show up here, but finally, I agree with sberger...if you get serious about Decware, ZYGI or Steve are the ones I would ask, very likely helping you balance your preferences and room through the filters of  those who know the speakers best.....

All Modified: Balanced Transformer-DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender-RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro-ZBIT-CSP3-OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV, Simple Wave 300B-HR1/SVS Micro3000sub-Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
sberger
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 06/30/12 at 18:45:55

Another terrific speaker that I bet would sound fantastic with the Torii is the Tekton Lore.

A pair just came on Audiogon. Again, no affiliation.

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/tekton-lore--2

And a review:

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue60/tekton.htm

IP Logged
Jisora
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 07/01/12 at 14:15:24

Thanks for the Tekton Lore suggestion.  Aside from the handful of reviews on the mini-Lore, Lore and Lore-S, there is a not-so-easily-found thread on Audiogon that is great.  About 15 pages of thoughts on the Lore as well as the Zu Omens - good read for anyone doing serious research on high efficiency speakers.

Unfortunately, I can't post the link until I have 5 messages on the board, so I will come back and add it in the future.

At $999/pair and 98dB, the Lore is definitely on the short list.  

IP Logged
sberger
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 07/02/12 at 22:16:45

Here's the thread you refer to. A lot of good reading/info.

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?cspkr&1286073654&&&/Zu-Omen-or-Tekton-Lo...

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print