03/28/24 at 16:34:26 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
i am in awe (Read 16195 times)
JD
Seasoned Member

i am in awe
06/20/12 at 02:46:10

Just received the Torii today and just cannot stop listening...

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Re: i am in awe
Reply #1 - 06/20/12 at 03:14:33

Welcome to the club, and have fun! Cool

All Modified: Balanced Transformer-DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender-RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro-ZBIT-CSP3-OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV, Simple Wave 300B-HR1/SVS Micro3000sub-Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
busterfree
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 06/20/12 at 03:44:12

Congrats! Enjoy!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 06/20/12 at 12:08:38

Congratulations, and welcome!

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 06/20/12 at 14:47:29

Had a buddy stop by last night who by his own admission isn't really into music.  He had a great quote.  "I can't believe this I'm not even listening to music I'm listening to the musicians...I'm there"
I am really proud to have found Decware and all you guys with your fantastic advice...as we say in Boston...wicked pissa

IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 06/21/12 at 22:36:34

Had to change one of the rectifiers so I changed both to some nos rca's.  Rolled the jj el34's out for cryo'd mullards and i am very happy.  Waiting on a tube fm tuner from magnum dynalab...this really is exciting.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 06/22/12 at 00:26:50

JD,

Sounds like fun. I wonder if you changed the power tubes separately enough from the rectifiers so that you could give some comparative impressions of the JJs versus the cryo'd Mullards. If you like them so much now, I can't wait to hear your impressions after the caps, tubes and other internals burn in! Those JJ 6CA7s took forever for me to really show, then they got really good. But not having tried the Mullard remakes, if possible, I would be interested in your impressions.

All Modified: Balanced Transformer-DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender-RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro-ZBIT-CSP3-OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV, Simple Wave 300B-HR1/SVS Micro3000sub-Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Douger
Verified Member

Reply #7 - 06/23/12 at 03:06:14

I am also in awe! I have started running my new Torii 3 hard and loud, 95 dB or so. I got a few pops and some left channel crackle,  
so I replaced the JJ e34l's with Svetlana el34's and now all is awesome! Congratulations!

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 06/23/12 at 05:32:21

I have had mine quite a while and I am more in awe than ever! Wink

IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 06/28/12 at 23:11:03

I'm going on 85 hours and I am going to keep my tube compliment stable for the time being.  I will def swap the jj's in for the mullard's at some time and get back to you.  Right now really enjoying my magnum dynalab fm tube tuner that arrived yesterday...great synergy with the torii... good times. still awaiting my zen styx, csp2+ and err's.  work hard and play harder

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #10 - 06/28/12 at 23:59:26

Wow, with those incoming items I KNOW you are going to have great listening ahead!!

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
sberger
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 06/29/12 at 01:13:48

Man great set up. Congrats. FWIW I like the JJ"s a lot better than the Mullards on my Torii. Just an all around better presentation.

What Magnum tuner are you using? Been thinking of getting a tube tuner after my Torii comes back from repair. Really enjoy listening to the local jazz station through my Fisher 500C receiver but that will go away when the Torii comes back. Can listen to pretty much all radio through my Squeezebox Touch there is something seductive about a good tube tuner. Was thinking of going vintage with a Scott also.

IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 06/29/12 at 13:41:33

I'm using a md100 triode tuner that I got gently used through their website (1/3 off the original price and it was sent back to the factory to  be gone over). I love listening to the folk, classical and jazz programs on the fm dial.   I've never had a tube tuner... really full sound.  I think you're the second person that prefers the jj's to the mullards. I'm gonna have to put them back in and do some comparing.

IP Logged
hifitubes
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 06/30/12 at 13:48:15

JD,

Where are you located?

IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 06/30/12 at 22:54:19

I can see why you guys like the jj's over the mullards...I thought I accidently turned up the volume when I changed them.  Mullards are very tight but jj's are better sounding, more alive and you are right sberger just a better presentation.

hifi south of boston

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print