Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 14:26:15 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Absolute phase reversal and the Mini Torii (Read 4402 times)
erik2a3
Seasoned Member

Absolute phase reversal and the Mini Torii
06/14/12 at 21:29:35

After having a look inside the amp, adding a headphone jack, I decided to try reversing absolute phase by swapping pos and neg speaker connections.  The result is unexpected: on three albums I've listened to far I find more air and clairity...a very clean quality and sense of open space.  I think there may be slighter more bass output in the original factory arrangement, but if that's so it's very little.  May I ask a favor if some of you would be so inclined? To please try reversing speaker connections to see what you hear/think? I honestly think it's my preference!

Have fun!
erik
  IP Logged
Doorman
Seasoned Member

"pouring from
the empty into the
void"

Re: Absolute phase reversal and the Mini Torii
Reply #1 - 06/14/12 at 21:35:57

Your preference is really all that matters.
I've done the same swapping in the past, and concluded some recordings seemed to benefit, others, not so much. - I hasten to add, though, the amp involved was not a mini-Torii
Don

Decware, Rega, Heybrook/Linn/Ortofon
Goertz/Wireworld/cat-5/MarkAudio Alpair 10.2 drivers
(eN) in DIY Mar-Ken cabs
NHT SB3’s
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #2 - 06/14/12 at 22:27:48

Phase matters. Some recordings arrive to the consumer out of phase, and correcting the phase does improve the sound. Makes them sound more natural. My DAC and my phono preamp both have phase buttons and they get a little bit of use. But most recordings aren't out of phase, and sound right "in phase."

It's possible, but unlikely, your MT has been wired out of phase. . .

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
erik2a3
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 06/14/12 at 22:38:07

The mini t. Does seem to be wired out of phase, thus the reversal ulitmately put it back in phase.  Very true about likely being recording dependent. Great point.

Have fun!
erik
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print