Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 16:44:46 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Problem with my new taboo? (Read 1668 times)
Rita Rodriguez
Verified Member

Problem with my new taboo?
06/06/12 at 08:42:26

Or normal? Lucid mode is much louder but sounds like I am in a reverberating opera hall and is a bit static like.

Without Lucid mode... its way too low to hear anything.  I know this amp likes a heavy source but this is crazy!

This is with headphones~

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Re: Problem with my new taboo?
Reply #1 - 06/06/12 at 12:35:20

I understood that the headphone jack would only put out in lucid mode. I sent mine up for a headphone jack but I added a speaker switch as well. I wanted to kill the sound going to the speakers when I use headphones.

Mine works well in either mode. In standard mode it sounds tight and controlled. In lucid mode the sound stage expands noticeably. On some recordings you might prefer standard mode and others lucid.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Rita Rodriguez
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 06/06/12 at 15:27:24

It seems to work find outside of lucid mode, but its far too low volume.  Not being in lucid mode even though the volume is super low it sounds NORMAL, not bad or damage

In Lucid mode it sounds so.so volume wise but the music seems to slowwww down just a tiny bit, things sound a bit tinny.  I imagined Lucid mode to have an affect but not the kind I am hearing, I imagined it would be more subtle.

If you have a sound card from creative turn on orchestral EAX effect. (or similar effect in your audio player but the creative one is very pronounced).  It sounds like that sorta, and as if someone seriously dialed back the speed!  Missing tons of detail as well.

I am going to connect it to my lyr as preamp when I get home.(which I dont want to use because it has a nice hum on it) Just so I can do a bit more testing.

For reference my source is a Schiit BiFrost.  Output @ ~ 2v based on specs.  But given my issues above I doubt it would cause that many problems.  

Could it be a tube problem? All tubes seem to light up.  The power tube lights up only at the top, both output tubes are in the right place and the input tube is settled into the socket.  Is the entire tube supposed to light up?  On stock.

Why do I come to the forums first? I want to get it fixed before I have to send it back for inspection.  

Maybe I need dummy speaker loads?

I know a lot of you have speakers, but I do not.  Besides rivers cut off switch of course.

Good News?

On both of my headphones the backgrounds black as black can get.  No tube static or pop.  Tested before connected to a source!

I have tested both variable and non-variable inputs (Only with my LCD-2s as they can accept y load this amp throws at them).  Same problem though!

IP Logged
Rita Rodriguez
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 06/07/12 at 03:16:49

Update:

I tried it with a pre-amp and it sounds exactly the same, going to try contacting support to see what they say before I freak out!

I have run out of solutions on my own,  besides dummy speaker loads.  I got a 20w 8ohm resistor because it was the only 8ohm resistor radioshack had and it didnt seem to do much granted only one speaker channel was used.

Only other easy option is tubes, but both left and right channels sound exactly alike so it cant be the output tubes.  The input tube maybe?

IP Logged
dminches
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 06/22/12 at 19:28:23

I would definitely try different tubes first.  I find they are very often the issue.

IP Logged
Rita Rodriguez
Verified Member

Reply #5 - 06/22/12 at 20:01:35

My taboo was checked out and at decware seems to be fine and in full functioning condition.

Only thing I can think of is the tubes which came with the taboo.  As to why it functions in low volume w/o lucid and completely messed up and loud with lucid is beyond me.

I think I am going to be patched through with steve see if this issue can be resolved.  Obviously if my taboo functions properly, the problem is elsewere.

IP Logged
clowkoy

Reply #6 - 06/23/12 at 00:41:49

I'm just trying to help. Do you know which are the variable and fixed inputs? They are on the opposite sides and not beside each other. The reason you're getting sound from both channels is because of the crossfed effect of lucid mode.
I think that's the problem. Imagine connecting the cables from your preamp to the same channel on the taboo.

IP Logged
Rita Rodriguez
Verified Member

Reply #7 - 06/25/12 at 14:00:02

I have actually tried both variable and  static inputs but came with the same issue.

With lucid mode off my headphones should only output from one side yet it sounded like there was sound in both sides.  Really just awkward.

With a preamp outside of lucid mode it was low volume yet I could hear the amp clipping from too much input power.  In lucid mode I was still getting very weird sound well outside the boundaries of cross feed.  It was almost like slowing down a song the resulting output.

One problem is it sounded like that through both L/R so the chances of both output tubes sounding the same strikes me as a bit strange!  The giant tube I really dont understand what it does~ and the input tube could be a culprit.  Not only did I try a preamp, I also tried a few different sources I had laying around.

I wasn't able to get a hold of anyone on friday, hopefully tuesday will be better!  I am antsy to fix the problem and get sound worthy of my headphones Happy.  I really wish I had speakers though... would of made testing more thorough.

Since decware already tested my amp and seemed to come back with no issues I can only wait and see at this point.  My amp is nonrefundable due to the vcaps(which I doubt would degrade the sound quality as much as I was hearing even without burn in).  So I really want to just solve the problem.

TBH I am satisfied with one feature of the amp so far, it has tubes and I didn't hear any hiss at all which is really really awesome.

I am overloading with information because well its nice to hehe. I really wish I had tubes to test with but unfortunately I am limited and while I am an audiophile(if we are here we all are to some extent) I am not  super hardcore!  

IP Logged
Rita Rodriguez
Verified Member

Reply #8 - 06/26/12 at 18:02:14

Update:

Problem was found!  its being sent back to me already.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9 - 06/26/12 at 18:11:18

Awesome! Great news.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 06/26/12 at 18:20:39

What was the problem?

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
sberger
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 06/26/12 at 18:23:16

Cool. Hopefully I'll have the same results with my Torii. Should be arriving any minute at Decware headquarters.

IP Logged
Rita Rodriguez
Verified Member

Reply #12 - 06/26/12 at 20:16:07

at this point no idea, the e-mail said to issues with original build.  I might give a call later for curiosities sake!

IP Logged
Rita Rodriguez
Verified Member

Reply #13 - 06/29/12 at 04:39:36

FInally! I am hearing the amp the way its meant to be heard!  Very nice punch!  That is my knee jerk reaction xD.  Fact that im not hearing noise from the tubes makes everything sound better.

Even with the vcap mod I think it sounds great out of the box before burn in.

IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 06/29/12 at 13:27:45

Glad it worked out for you Rita.

JD

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #15 - 06/29/12 at 14:36:04

Me too! Glad she/he's back home safe!

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Rita Rodriguez
Verified Member

Reply #16 - 06/29/12 at 15:31:37

I am glad to @ JD  ^^  It was a long road but its finally time to relax and have fun Smiley

@ Lon, calling my amp a tra.............. im not going there xD  Though technically it can do bo....... still not going there!

Jkjk Smiley

They not only sent me an extra set of tubes, but two input tubes(one of which came originally, the other was a different level of gain)

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #17 - 06/29/12 at 15:48:46

Not a tramp. . . maybe a prodigal daughter or son? Smiley

When you need to, you find out that the hidden benefit to all those products is the great attention and care you and your machine get when it needs it. Five star hotel type of care and attention. Yet another important factor that sets Decware apart, at the top.

IP Logged
Rita Rodriguez
Verified Member

Reply #18 - 06/29/12 at 21:05:26

Definitely, next up is the CSP-2 to go with my 770s/Taboo xD

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print