03/28/24 at 22:31:59 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Zen Ultra questions (Read 9100 times)
lovethemusic2
Verified Member

Zen Ultra questions
05/20/12 at 01:21:40

Alright then, This is the question.  What or where is the general consensus surrounding (get it)  the almighty Zen Ultra 6 channel preamp? Requiring minds need to know. After reading the ever so complicated "what and how it does this and that" I'm wondering if I am qualified to attempt to operate such a beast. ( I own a Vcaped torii Mk III) replete with some fancy tubes and attenuator.... The Zen Ultra appears to do a lot of stuff all at the same time. How is it that it's got just one transformer on it and the Tori III has a bunch? How does the Ultra sound and how difficult is it to operate is the million dollars question? Smiley Grin Undecided Cool

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Zen Ultra questions
Reply #1 - 05/20/12 at 01:38:50

Good questions, really Steve is the one to answer. As far as I can tell only Greg (Pale Rider) has reported owning one on the board. It's a good guess no one else of the forum members really has information that can help you.

As for the transformers, remember that the Torii is a power amp, and the  Ultra is a preamp (albeit times three!). Different power and current requirements.

I'm sure the Ultra is an amazing machine, and I'd love to tinker with one. Maybe someday if i win the lottery! I don't do surround in any way. If I won the Lottery I'd have a room in my house for cinema and an Ultra, three Toriis and six ERRs. And maybe a sub, not sure. Wink

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
lovethemusic2
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 05/20/12 at 02:00:50

thanks Lon can you hale Pale Rider this message for me please, PR can you enlighten all of us as to your experiences with the beast of beasts the Zen Ultra. It's such a compelling piece of audio gear and I see no threads, no opinions, no huge Grin or unhappy faces so it truly makes me wonder what's going on with all the owner's of the Ultra. The Ultra truly takes a complicated set of complications and complicates them more by simplifying the whole thing by taking out the computer logically. (easier said then done I'm sure) only a Zen Master can do that, I'd say.   I don't hear much mention of a DB meter either, it must be a given.  Do you own and use a Zen Ultra? Can you share your findings please. Tongue gracias.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 05/20/12 at 02:54:37

I wish I had another way to reach Greg but I don't so let's just hope he replies soon.

For your sake I'm hoping that there are other Ultra users out there that will reply to the thread.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
lovethemusic2
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 05/20/12 at 06:45:55

Lon, I actually got a email off to Greg and he responded. We both live in the same area in California, within a few miles of each other it turns out.
Greg LOVES his Zen Ultra and his Torii's. I was glad to hear that for sure. Thanks Lon. I hope to order my Ultra soon and will keep you posted. It all takes time uh.

Later
John

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5 - 05/20/12 at 12:38:36

John, great news about Greg and about your order!

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 05/20/12 at 14:47:39

John, nice to correspond via email. The Ultra is worth every penny, and then some, and worth every moment of the agonizing wait. As I mentioned in our email, while I have a theoretical desire to try driving my front Torii directly from my PerfectWave DAC Mk II, I remain enthralled by the dynamics of the combo of the Ultra and Torii together. The flexibility it gives me in managing a combo audio/HT system is also everything I hoped it would be. I would like to write more soon, but right now have to run.

1: PS Audio DirectStream | BHK Preamp & Monoblocks | Legacy Audio Aeris
2: MSB Select II | Custom T2 & Mjolnir Carbon CC | Stax SR-009 & 007
3: Lumin A1 | HeadAmp GS-X mk2 |Meze Empyrean & HEDDphone
4. Schiit Vidar | RAAL Requisite SR1a
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print