Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/16/24 at 19:33:20 

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
SE34I.3 On Waiting List (Read 76708 times)
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

SE34I.3 On Waiting List
05/12/12 at 13:21:13

My order for the new Integrated, "Rachel" is seventh on the Q. I note that today according to the Official Decware Amplifier Waiting List the first one in Q is in "testing" status right now. The second one in Q is "on the bench" and I don't mean that in a sports play context. They are assembling it with loving care.

I am now 9 weeks out. I even forgot which base I chose. Luckily the Q lists the base that is ordered. I had ordered the black figured; this is the nicest one for me. I have my pair of Mullard reissue EL34's ready to go into this thing. I just have to keep waiting.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: SE34I.3 On Waiting List
Reply #1 - 05/12/12 at 14:48:07

As Big Audio Dynamite has said on one of their releases:

"Sit tight and listen keenly."

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
sberger
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 05/12/12 at 15:26:44

How are those Mullard's RR? Been thinking of getting a quad for Torii.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 05/12/12 at 15:28:22

Sam, I haven't tried a quad in the Torii, but I very much enjoyed a pair in the Integrated.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
sberger
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 05/12/12 at 16:46:31

Thanks Lon. Good to know. Liking the EH 6CA7's in the Torii whether or not they engage the Hazen mod(haven't heard back from Steve yet) and liked the JJ 6CA7's as well but have heard pretty good things on the "Mullards" so maybe will give them a try. At least I know they're real pentode.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5 - 05/12/12 at 22:00:26

The bottom line is if they sound great to you, then they're great, engaging the mod or no. My own set will be in this next week, eager to hear them.  If not trouncing the JJs, I bet they will sound really good in my second system with the Mk II.

IP Logged
sberger
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 05/12/12 at 22:23:57

I'm back and forth between the EH and JJ's. Nothing wrong with the JJ's at all. A really great tube. Hard to say at this point what I like better. And then the "Mullards" will be here shortly to play with.

I'll be interested in your take, and any difference that you hear with the EH's in Torii's 2 & 3.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7 - 05/12/12 at 22:53:46

I'll like the one that has the cleanest, sweetest treble. Smiley Previous experience makes me think it will take some time to break in the cryo'd versions.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #8 - 05/14/12 at 19:56:58

Well, Ron sent me cryo'd JJs by mistake, so I'm a few days away again from trying the EHs.

IP Logged
hifitubes
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 05/21/12 at 09:22:05

I'm not positive, but I think that's mine on the bench according to Bob.

We'll see. I have some Genalex re-issue KT77, Cryo Mullard EL34, and possibly some black bottle EL34 in the pipeline to try.

Amp has upgraded caps, no volume, and will be run direct by an Antelope Gold DAC.

really excited as I have been w/o hifi for some time due to a move and selling off my old system....

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 06/05/12 at 03:55:31

How long does it take to wind transformers! Mine is being wound with several others.  It seems that some of the new SE34I.3 units have already hit the street.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Hipfan

Reply #11 - 06/07/12 at 16:30:49

Has anyone received their Rachel yet and can let us know what they think. I finally made it to page 4 on the Build Sheet...one page at a time baby Smiley

Torii MK3, Icon Audio PS2, Rega P5, azur 640C V2, Klipsch Forte II (Crites), PS Audio Duet, MAC cabling
  IP Logged
busterfree
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 06/07/12 at 23:40:18

Mine is in route as I write this. I ordered it with Vcaps so it will be a while before I can say how it really sounds.

IP Logged
hifitubes
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 06/11/12 at 10:50:19

Looks like (2) are ahead of me, with one SE34I.31 in QC.

I'll be running mine direct from DAC, with plenty of burn-in for the Vcaps - on some Hoyt Bedford 1.5.

What are other folks planning for their .31? Anyone using a capable DAC, or going with pre?

Cryo'd Mullard re-issues EL34 arrived yesterday with some Pope 7DJ8.

Would still like to hear if the output terminals are reversed as they are on the Mini-Torii...

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 06/11/12 at 12:15:27

Mine shows as "PARTS PULLED" which means that it is being assembled.

However, I am going to receive a TORII MK III this week. This amp might elbow the others out of the way.

55   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #15 - 06/11/12 at 12:28:12

I'm eager to hear your impressions of the Torii Mk III. This amp changed my listening world.

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 06/11/12 at 23:04:35

Now my SE34I.3 is "On The Bench."

My TORII MK III is scheduled to be delivered tomorrow.

55   IP Logged
hifitubes
Seasoned Member

Reply #17 - 06/16/12 at 05:22:18

@Riveria, how's the MKIII sounding?

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #18 - 06/16/12 at 13:41:28

I am afraid somebody would ask me that.

A few days ago I received the TORII MK III back from DECWARE all checked out and cleared for duty, with a new black figured base installed.

This amp had never been broken in. I set up the amp with JJ 6922 input tubes, Russian Winged "C" rectifiers and no-name Chinese EL34 power tubes, with the 0A3 and 0C2 voltage regulators.

The first two hours the amp did not sound impressive.  However, as it played, during hour 3-5 the sound began to set in and grow more spacious and clear. Five hours on; five hours off is the plan. I have been adhering to that.

Because my listening space is a small room, the sound waves from this thing go right through me. I find that the bass sounds best with the bass pots turned all the way down. However, the treble pots are set at about half. I cannot discern any real palpable difference between the two bias settings.  I set the speaker impedance switch pointed back, which sounds best with the MG 944's.

The main thing I have to say about this amp is that it amplifies on the characteristics that the other DECWARE amps have. It brings extra  impact and emotion to the music that the other amps bring in a slightly less quantity.

I don't know if the MK III is too big and powerful for this room; it may well be. I am not ready to divest of any of the other amps yet. I am waiting for my SE34I.3; the new Sheriff in town.

Is it possible to have too much DECWARE? Probably not.    

55   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #19 - 06/16/12 at 14:23:43

Jim, it's not possible to have too much Decware. . . but I sold some Decware amps just because they were not getting used, weren't ever going to get enough use, and it's a shame to have them just gathering dust. Sold them for a good price and I know they're being used.

I am not surprised to read your impressions of the Torii. I have my Mk II in a small room and it sounds different than in the larger space, makes it sound more like a vintage tube amp, which I've come to consider a nice thing. I can't imagine having another amp in my living room/dining room space now that I've had the Mk III there. It just breathes and flows there in a way no other amp has. I don't have bass controls on mine (one of the first IIIs made and before those were in vogue). I have my treble turned down too. The bias pots make a significant difference in mine, more so in the large room. I think as the amp breaks in the differences will become more pronounced. I have my input bias also to the back, the speaker impedance to the front. I agree about the emotion and impact this amp brings to the music. I found that this amp opened up after about a months use, and then again every six months or so of seasoning seems to deepen its connection to the music and my brain. Keep at it, I think it will change your listening world too. . . .

CD, DVD, Blu-ray and DVR just sound so deep and musical. Vinyl from my Rega RP3 and my PS Audio GCPH is just heavenly!

PS: At least try the amp with 6N1P tubes, they really make the amp for me, don't like it nearly as much with 6922s. And try some other EL34s, the power tubes can and do make a difference in this amp.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #20 - 06/16/12 at 15:55:44

RR,

This reminds me of my first experience with the Torii. And it sounds like your settings (bass full left for tightness, and impedance back for more push and therefore more articulation) are adaptations to the green Torii and probably  your room, as you suggest. With my 944s in this room, like Lon, I liked the forward setting for impedance, and back for bias... the most easy settings. But with my HR-Ones, I tend to prefer the back impedance setting, especially since I put NOS Russian K40Y-9 PIO coupling caps in the Torii.

When the Torii first came, right off, I missed the SE34I.2+ with its effortless, open and lucid mids, and found the weight and density of the Torii a little intimidating. But as Lon suggests (I think especially in some settings) Torii burnin can be a big factor. Not hearing a notable difference with the bias switch is a good indicator of subtitles to come as the amp opens up. After that first bloom, I suspect you are looking at a couple hundred hours to get into the "seasoning" phase that seems to continue for a long time.

For me, with room adjustments (to accommodate the power and weight), tube exploration, and so on, I feel like I have the magic of SE with the power and weight not likely attainable with SE. This for me is the amazing thing about the Torii. It can have a more dense, balanced, classic sound, or a very lucid and open sound and anywhere in between...but with the fast, smooth power...very nice.

I look forward to your developing impressions.

All Modified: Balanced Transformer-DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender-RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro-ZBIT-CSP3-OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV, Simple Wave 300B-HR1/SVS Micro3000sub-Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Morganc

Reply #21 - 06/20/12 at 06:05:48

Can someone PM or post for me the link to the cue?  I'm waiting on the List:)

IP Logged
Hipfan

Reply #22 - 06/20/12 at 10:53:55

Go into the Contact tab on the Decware website. The PDF build sheet link is in there.

Torii MK3, Icon Audio PS2, Rega P5, azur 640C V2, Klipsch Forte II (Crites), PS Audio Duet, MAC cabling
  IP Logged
Lord Soth
Seasoned Member

I'm an American
BadAss!

Reply #23 - 06/20/12 at 14:07:12

IP Logged
Morganc

Reply #24 - 06/22/12 at 04:45:53

Thanks guys:)

IP Logged
hifitubes
Seasoned Member

Reply #25 - 06/30/12 at 13:42:27

Anyone get theirs yet?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #26 - 06/30/12 at 14:13:58

ThorSevan has reported his arrived in the "Help me validate Decware amp and speakers" thread in the General Discussion forum.

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #27 - 06/30/12 at 15:08:00

UPS attempted delivery of mine yesterday but I was not home. I usually leave instructions to deliver packages next door. My neighbor is an old timer who is home most afternoons. Unfortunately for me, yesterday he wasn't home either. I look forward to receiving it on Monday.

55   IP Logged
hifitubes
Seasoned Member

Reply #28 - 07/01/12 at 11:54:37

Mine has passed QC....looking forward to hearing your impressions Riv.

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #29 - 07/02/12 at 22:32:12

I received mine today. Serial No. 8. I set it up and it is playing.

55   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #30 - 07/02/12 at 22:36:31

Congrats!

IP Logged
polarbear9988
Verified Member

Reply #31 - 07/03/12 at 08:59:06

Dear RR,

I would be grateful if you could share your initial views with us.  Although, my SE34I.3 (which was built right after yours with the exact same specs) may be at my door step tomorrow, it would be nice to learn your initial views on the amp.  Thanks.

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #32 - 07/03/12 at 14:28:52

It behaves a lot like the little ZEN amp with gain and overall presentation. It has the same insane imaging. The power tube gauges are a delight. The needle starts to move after the unit warms up. I am glad that I bought my matched pair of Mullard reissue EL34's from Jim McShane because they show identical readings on the little meters. When you turn the volume nearly all the way up the needles on the meter start going a little crazy. The gauge tells you when the amp is clipping.

The amp has a "clean" look to it. The elegant black figured base I figure looks best with this.

The tube set is a pair of 6N1P-EV, the Mullards and a 1950's Sylvania 5U4G rectifier. I listened to only CD's.

I could not test the amp's limits because my daughter had oral surgery yesterday and had to stay quiet. From what I was able to play I could discern that the amp had the gain and imaging qualities of the little ZEN but the sound was a tad warmer. This is pretty much what Steve had forecast.

I am sorry if I am not "gushing" here (like somebody who replaced a cheap rack system with their first DECWARE amp). This is the ninth DECWARE amp I have owned. I take for granted the high level of performance this gear presents.

RACHEL is loud enough in my small room without using a preamp, connected to the vaunted MG944 (Zen Zeigler) speakers. This RACHEL dame needs to be controlled, I think; and what better to do that with than a CSP2+ preamplifier. I will move that into position and see how it does. It should add more weight and control.

Without a preamp and the gain past 3/4 RACHEL begins clipping, a lot like the little ZEN. The sound sounds more weighty right before that point. The CSP2+ would allow me to ride the gain and better accommodate the sound of different recordings.

My listening session using the TORII MK III night before last was marred by the JJ 6922 inputs, which I suspect were distorting. I moved the treble controls before realizing that the trouble was the  JJs. I have to put some 6N1P-EV's in those slots.

55   IP Logged
polarbear9988
Verified Member

Reply #33 - 07/04/12 at 05:04:42

Dear RR,

Thank you very much for your initial views.  I certainly can understand why you were not gushing your new amp.  My SE34I.3 was delivered yesterday but I was not home to accept delivery.  I will need to collect it later today.  I do hope your daughter to get well soon.  Thanks again!

IP Logged
hifitubes
Seasoned Member

Reply #34 - 07/04/12 at 07:00:15

Great info Riv, and I think we all appreciate your level head impressions of the amp thus far. Mine has shipped! I live overseas now so it may took a bit, and my speakers are not shipped yet either.

So, as you can see I have some breakin' in to do as well with new Omegas (Hoyt B 1.5) and VCAPs in Rachel.

I'm interested to play with the meters myself. I used to have an Amplitrex AT1000 capable of tight matching. I think I ordered these EL34s from Upscale or McShane will have to check.

I don't have a 5U4 though, just a Dario GZ32. I am in the process of ordering one 5U4 unless someone has a spare that they would sell me (shipped to forwarding address in New York).

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #35 - 07/25/12 at 17:24:06

Thank you too RR for your first impressions compared to the C+. I have a pair of lonely Speakers I once used with the Zen Select.....that now need either a new Select or the Rachel for my other room. I own a home once again.  
I will order the Rachel most likely come September. I doubt that I will sell it.....like I did my Torii 3. I also read your impressions of the return of your 3 so far. Keep your overall comparisons coming.  Thanks, Stone.

.....enjoying my 11th + year with my Zen Select (SE84CS)....yes as RR stated....."with insane imaging"....lets also add: tone & timbre and absolutely transparent.

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Greg12
Seasoned Member

Reply #36 - 02/20/13 at 20:48:16

Well I am the newest person on the waiting list for the Rachael. Steve was nice enough to spend 30mins discussing my situation and what to expect  w/ the Rachael based on my set up, 11'X13' room w/ Paradigm studio 80v2 w/ specs of 92db, 8ohm fed by a Csp2.  Currently my amp is a SS 175 watts per chan.
 I received a nice education on, I guess listening habits in terms of  volume level.  Basically the volume with which one feels is where the sound quality reaches its peak in terms of fullness/tonality etc is different btwn his amps and high power SS amps.  I told him I like to listen at slightly higher than avg levels as then the music opens up.  He said that is due to many SS amps sounding anemic until the volume is pretty loud, i.e. if 2 people sat on a couch, and the music was sounding right, we'd have to raise our voices quite a bit to converse.  
 W/ the Rachael,  the music will sound full and perfect at a much lower level, so i'll not even notice that it's not as loud as I normally would like it to be. And, I won't miss the extra volume the SS amp has, at least with serious listening.
 So even tho Rachael is not gonna get near concert levels w/ my speakers, it won't need to.  Plus, this doesn't even take into consideration the improvements in musicality and transparency I should w/ the tune amp.
 Never the less tho,  he did say he will be expecting a call from me in a year or so inquiring about buying a set of his (more) efficient speakers.  At which point, I'll really know the definition of kick ass sound. Smiley

I can't wait.  I did ask about the Jupiter caps and he said he highly recommended them, and let me have them at the same price as the V-caps.   Said more transparent and organic than the standard caps they use, and he prefers them to the V's.  Will sound great w/ my Csp2 pre.  I don't need the volume control option on the amp because my csp2 has the 2 gain dials which essentially would serve the same purpose.

I know this info won't be surprising for you veteran Decware users, but for new csr's like me with little to no experience w/ the Decware amp sound, maybe this will answer some questions.

Greg

Torii MkIII with Jupiter caps, ZP3 with Jupiter caps, DM947 Monoliths, Oppo 105, Pro-ject Rm-5.1 Se TT. Hana SH Shibata MC Cartridge 2.0mV
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #37 - 02/20/13 at 20:54:15

Greg, congrats! I know you are going to really enjoy the different world of sound that Rachel will bring. Wow.

I find that there's a "right volume level" for many of the recordings I have, especially those that are made live or with little processing, say the way Rudy Van Gelder did in the fifties and sixties, or the 300th St. studio Columbia used. Different amps will be at different settings to get there, but there's a level where it all snaps into focus so to speak and you can get louder but not really improve the sound. Decware amps get to that level and really let it all unfold in front of you.

You're going to be having a lot of fun! "The waiting is the hardest part."

IP Logged
Greg12
Seasoned Member

Reply #38 - 02/20/13 at 21:30:22

Thanks Lon, your posts have been very informative for me over the months, along w/ everyone else in this great community and I really have no doubts about this purchase now.  It's been great education reading the old posts prior to making what I think is now an informed option.   Man i'm excited.
 The csp2 I bought used here in Oct and this Rachael are my first stereo upgrades in maybe 10yrs.  No more mid fi for me!
 Also, as far as the loudness bit goes, I'll still be keeping my SS around for War movies and parties so no worries there Grin

Thanks to all,
Greg

Torii MkIII with Jupiter caps, ZP3 with Jupiter caps, DM947 Monoliths, Oppo 105, Pro-ject Rm-5.1 Se TT. Hana SH Shibata MC Cartridge 2.0mV
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #39 - 02/20/13 at 22:57:22

Greg,

I just took delivery on a SE34 last week.  I too came from SS (100 watts into 89db 8 ohm speakers).  

There is an adjustment period that you may go through until you get used to listenable volume concept.  I had to play my SS A LOT louder to get the same level of detail.  I actually moved my rig to a smaller room to get more volume.

But let me tell you what you sacrifice in volume, you more than make up in detail and soundstage.  I think Lon mentioned insane imaging.  That's a good description.  The other night I was hearing percussion tapping of some sort behind my head about 4 ft and up near the ceiling.  I thought my kids were tapping on the floor upstairs to mess with me.  I backed up and found out it was the recording.  And I only have about 30 hours on the amp.

On most recordings, I can get to critical listening volume between 2/3rd to 3/4 on the volume dial without clipping but I still am looking into building or buying some higher efficiency speakers.  Suffice it to say that I will be building out my system with this amp as the core component.

P.S. the interconnects that Steve sells are very good.  They quickly replaced my old interconnects.  It wasn't even close.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Greg12
Seasoned Member

Reply #40 - 02/20/13 at 23:55:45

That's really cool Palomino.  I've never heard anything from my rig like that,  everything is definately btwn the speakers, and mostly 2 dimensional. Don't get me wrong, it sounds great, especially when I added the csp2, but still.....
 Anyways, thanks for the input, and please keep it coming as the amp breaks in. I'd like to hear all about it.

Greg

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #41 - 02/21/13 at 13:03:29

I had tweaked my SS system with new speaker wires, new power cord, outlets and a isolation transformer and was getting pretty good sound out of it and what I thought was good imaging.  Almost to the point of wondering how much better the new amp would be.

But the SE34 really upped the game in all facets except volume.  I've kept the SS system (with a tube pre) in the larger room in case I want to rock out.

FWIW, it took about 7.5 weeks from order to delivery for my amp.  That also included the holidays so probably less in actual working days.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Greg12
Seasoned Member

Reply #42 - 02/21/13 at 18:48:40

At least the cables and pc's etc aren't a waste since you can always use them on your other gear.  I'm planning to invest in some Decware cords soon.  Not sure what to start w/,  spkr cbl, interconn's or PC's.   Prob not the spkr cbl as those are the highest price.  I like to wade into the water. Smiley

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #43 - 02/21/13 at 18:52:44

I think the other, more experienced members on the forum can provide advice on what to do first, but I do think there is something to the claims of synergy with the Decware amps/interconnects/speakers.

IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Reply #44 - 02/21/13 at 23:46:34

Greg12,

I believe the best place to start is the speaker cables. Yes they may be the most expensive of the cable, but there is a reason for that. They make the  most improvment, first off, secondly, without the good speaker cables, I don't think  you will hear what the other cables bring to the table.

Funny story about the speakers cables...

I get a box from Decware, things I had ordered, or needed for a speaker build. In the bottom of the box, there was a bunch of short lengths of speaker cable. Steve knowing I wasn't a firm believer in high priced speaker cabling at the time, I'm thinking, what am I supposed to do with these.

I called Steve that afternoon, and asked him, what am I to do with all these wires. Me thinking he was joking, he told me to strip the ends, butt them together and solder then up and try them out. He said they would sound better than anything I had tried or was using at the time.  He was correct, enough said. That is what I'm using to this date.

Zygi

All Decware amps and sources, Turning Point Audio speakers
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #45 - 02/22/13 at 00:58:10

I have to chime in (of course I do) and agree with Bob--the Zen Styx are the best speaker cable that I've owned and since I bought them I've explored all other cabling in my system, but haven't unhooked the Styx. It took me a long time to feel they'd "settled," but when they did they kept dishing out great sound.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #46 - 02/22/13 at 01:47:49

I was the ultimate unbeliever about cables. The math and science just didn't add up. Guess what? Math and science hasn't listened to my stereo with good cables and interconnects. Big noticeable differences.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Greg12
Seasoned Member

Reply #47 - 02/28/13 at 23:34:54

Gotta do something productive while I patiently wait for Rachael..  So I ordered a Philips 5R4GYS rectifier,  I've already had one in my CSP2 pre  for the past 3months and it sounds great.  So I pulled it out and put the new one in it's place.  Should be burned in fine by the time the new amp get's here in 2months.

Thought I'd start the burn in process gently with some Count Basie and the Kansas City 7.  Nice.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #48 - 02/28/13 at 23:54:32

Ah you inspired me to put on the Impulse SACD of CB and the KC 7. Smiley

The wait for a Decware component. . . well it can be tough. Kudos on coming up with a diversionary tactic!

IP Logged
Greg12
Seasoned Member

Reply #49 - 03/01/13 at 00:31:43

Same sacd I have.. great tunes,, sooo short tho..  unlike the amp wait.....  Oh well,  now on to Shelly Manne from the same APO sacd series.

IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #50 - 03/01/13 at 00:33:24

I agree that Phillips 5R4GYS is a great rectifier.  That and 1953 RCA 5R4GYS are my favorite rectifiers they really open up the sound.

JD

IP Logged
Greg12
Seasoned Member

Reply #51 - 03/01/13 at 00:54:14

Yeah JD,  I don't want to have a pile of extra rectifiers laying around since in Decware gear they can last what,, 10yrs or so?  But I wonder if I should grab 2 more of the philips ones for the long term since they seem to be popular, not sure how long UpscaleAudio will have them for $45.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #52 - 03/01/13 at 01:06:09

Just have an earlier cd of that one. Cool session!

IP Logged
Greg12
Seasoned Member

Reply #53 - 03/01/13 at 01:21:03

Question.    So if on my 92db 8 ohm spkrs, assuming I like the sound of my speakers, cause I do,,, if I decide I just can't get enough volume w/ the Rachael  and I saved up another $1400,  would I be better off getting another Rachael thereby upping the power to 12watts ea in bridged mono,  or would buying, for similar $$, the 94DB MG944 's produce more volume?

I know there's some mathematical formula or something for determining volume based on watt's and DB, but Johnny ain't so good with the math.. Tongue  (especially after a couple IPA's)

IP Logged
DPC
Ex Member

Reply #54 - 03/01/13 at 02:47:20

I could never convince anyone that I have any math skills but the new speaker idea sure sounds like a winner!

Dennis

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #55 - 03/01/13 at 11:30:33

I am interested in hearing any responses to your question Greg12 as I am in the same boat.  

I have 89db speakers that are generally plenty loud enough for critical listening in a smaller room, I just would like some more ooomph at times.

I have had some luck with building and like full range drivers, so I am thinking about building something with the Decware DFR8 driver.  Maybe a Decware High Definition Tower (HDT).

Also, I did some "nesting" to pass the time while I waited for my amp.  I put covers on my speaker cables, bought an isolation transformer, made a breakout box, fiddled with speaker location, etc.  It helped pass the time.

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #56 - 03/01/13 at 11:52:31

2 Rachaels through my 89 db`s sounds more than adequate.
Waiting for a replacement EL34 and listening through 1 Rachael sounds v/good but miss the extra bass authority and great presence/room fill.
More efficient speakers should/would equal the same ? You know I think it`s possible. Interesting thought.
I dont drink anymore but those Greene King IPA`s were   Tongue

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #57 - 03/05/13 at 22:26:38

I have about 100 hours on my Rachael.  I finally listened to some classical for the first time over the weekend.  

This was a completely different expeirience than any other time I have listened to my classical "playlist."  The 3D soundstage made a huge difference in my appreciation of this music.  It really was like being in the concert hall.  I usually listen to classical in sort of a passive way.  This was very engaging.

This kind of presentation is what I have been looking for in my search over the past few years.  Very impressive.

Sorry Greg12, this probably does not help your wait.  But it does give you something to look forward to.  I would say be patient with the break-in period and you'll be rewarded.

IP Logged
opnlybafld
Ex Member

Reply #58 - 03/06/13 at 01:05:29

Greg12,

The number you should use to compare your speakers to the MG944s is 89dB (92dB is with ave room gain added).

89dB vs 93/94 dB ~ so all else being equal the 944s should be a little louder with 6 watts than the Paradigms with 12 ~ not all things are equal of course, the Paradigms have a 3rd order 2 way x-o and 2nd order low pass filter whereas the MG944s have a 1st order x-o, arguably this makes a difference also with fewer parts in the x-o being better for low power tube amps.

Lin

IP Logged
Greg12
Seasoned Member

Reply #59 - 03/06/13 at 03:47:16

Great information guys, I really appreciate everybody taking time to answer my novice questions.  The wait is tough, but reading all the great info helps me imagine the treat I'm in for.  Sounds stupid, but sometimes I'll wake up at like 3am, and I'll lie there thinking about the amp and how it will sound.  I'm 46 but I feel like a little kid who's anticipating xmas morning.  Kind of ridiculous, but it is fun to think about.

Greg

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #60 - 03/06/13 at 21:46:43

Just read your first post on this thread Greg. Very good of Steve to chat about volume levels, which are topical for recent weeks posts in the" How much power is enough" thread.
Bang on from Steve.

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
Greg12
Seasoned Member

Reply #61 - 03/22/13 at 18:46:34

Well I saw that there was movement on the waiting list and I am getting near the point where the amp was gonna get built.  I've been stewing for weeks now about the potential lack of volume I'd be getting w/ the Rachael,  and I really want to be one and done for life on this amp purchase.  So I called Steve today.  My only concern w/ not getting the Rachael and going w/ the Torii lll instead was losing the SET sound in the mid range,  he said I would not lose anything there.  The Rachael is more forgiving of bad recordings but that's it.  the Torii is more accurate but has the treble controls to tame extra brightness. Has the SET sound, plus the obvious, 25watts.  So, long story short,  he switched my order to the Torii MK lll  w/ jupiter caps.  Gonna cost more,  but I feel much better now knowing there's no chance of regretting not doing it now, rather than later.   Now all I gotta do is explain all this to the War Department  ;) and hope she'll understand the added expense. Wish me luck!.  I think she'll understand.  ;D

IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #62 - 03/22/13 at 19:36:59

Greg you've made a great choice.  I as well wanted to be one and done in amp buying and I've had the Torii MKIII for just under a year.  It will blow you away and it keeps getting better and better.  A good amount of tubes to swap but not so many that it's overwhelming.  With great sources and interconnects you truly can't go wrong with this amp. The only negative is now I've also bought the CSP2+ and the ZP3 and numerous DECWARE interconnects because of the great quality and logical prices.

JD

IP Logged
Greg12
Seasoned Member

Reply #63 - 03/22/13 at 20:24:54

Thanks JD!

IP Logged
P K
Seasoned Member

Reply #64 - 07/12/13 at 19:26:44

SE34I.3 versus a Mini Torii?

It seems that a Mini Torii has a better chance of taming a bright high end (due to tube rolling and the treble adjustment).

But does the SE34I.3 some better (all things being equal)?

Also, will you save money on replacement tubes as the MINI Torii tubes are reported to last much longer.

Any comments?

IP Logged
jameskk
Seasoned Member

Reply #65 - 02/09/14 at 11:35:48

Tomorrow my Racheal arrives , ordered it without tubes God knows I have enough to fill this . Been listening to my Superzen for a solid year now . should be a fun Breakin week . also have been sitting on a tori mkiii  which has to go back to Decware to be checked, and maybe partially updated. I have had great sound since my first zen I bought awhile ago . Looking forward to the Racheal vs superzen  listening .

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #66 - 02/09/14 at 11:58:59

Some serious fun ahead! Cheesy

IP Logged
jameskk
Seasoned Member

Reply #67 - 02/11/14 at 20:01:22

now , after only 2 days I know why this amp sits in the Decware amplifier build room.

IP Logged
jameskk
Seasoned Member

Reply #68 - 02/13/14 at 14:28:30

Hey PK sorry to rain or snow on your parade!!!! Racheals a Diva of the highest caliper....

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #69 - 02/13/14 at 14:39:57

+1

I think I have my room pretty set now and Rachael sounds the best she ever has.  The more you let her show off, the better she sounds.  While my eye will wander from time to time to a SE84, and now the ZMA, she'll always be my girl.

Working at home today so I get to spend all day with her.  My wife has become suspicious.

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #70 - 02/14/14 at 00:20:19

Ok, that's it! I made an executive decision today, and bought Steve's original prototype of this amp. I wandered back and forth, looking at various Decware models, and while price determined one or two choices, I ended up with this amp. I shouldn't say 'ended up' as though it were settling for or something like that, but rather after talking with Steve for awhile, it was the best choice for me. I didn't want a lot of extras, so as it turns out, I got more in the performance arena than the option arena. So, if I remember correctly, it has one set of outputs, a volume control for each channel, just happens to have the Jensen capacitors installed, and will come with a set of 6N2P input tubes. The rest of the tubes are 'stock', and that is fine since I have a few of my own. I actually owned a 34i.1 a long time ago, and it kinda drove me nuts with all of the different ways it could be hooked up and then different switches for tube bias. Then there were switches for the transformers themselves, IIRC, and it was too much for my OCD! This is a much more straightforward amp for me and will undoubtedly be a great choice for my ZOB speakers. Presently I am using an Audio Nirvana integrated amp that is really good, BUT it is push pull 6V6 and as good as it is, I still prefer SET sound. The new amp may arrive next week, and that will give me a little time to break the news to my wife(tomm is VAlentines, so that might be a window). More to follow as soon as the amp arrives. Like some of you, I have an idea what to expect, but have never run the ZOB speakers on a Decware amp. This may be one of the last steps to Audio Nirvana. Kiss

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #71 - 02/14/14 at 00:23:09

CONGRATS! I think you'll really be happy. I have an amp that Bob owned, the very first Torii Mk II, and it's pretty cool to have a "family" amp. Keep us posted!

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #72 - 02/14/14 at 03:52:00

Lon,

Good to hear from you. Yah, it's kinda kool to have a 000 serial number amp. I used to own two SV83CS? mono amps., number 1 and 2. They were unforgettable, which brings me back to here. BTW, I meant to say that this new amp will have one set of INPUTS, well, I guess it does have one set of outputs too, heh heh. Still warming up the wife subliminally. It's a hurdle I tell ya.

mad_dr-1.jpg

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
jameskk
Seasoned Member

Reply #73 - 02/15/14 at 12:01:56

I have noticed a marked improvement of the Racheal over the superzen . So I have some questions about this . Does the EL34 in triode sound better or react better to the triode mode, than the 6p15ev?  Does having a input tube for each output tube do a better job of sound , noticed you went to this with the Racheal and ZMA. Would it improve the superzen to have a input tube  for each output tube??? Does the Hazen , CCE mod work better with the EL34 than the 6p15ev ?  Or am I just hearing one amp that's 3x  the power ?

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #74 - 02/15/14 at 12:38:59

I don't currently have either the zen or the ZMA.  I heard them at zenfest and really liked them both. To keep my comments brief I liked the clarity and soundstage of the zen and the richness of the ZMA.  

I get to hear them now because I get together with another decware afficianado and he has both. We haul gear over to each other's house and mix systems.  

Tomorrow I am going to be listening to the ZMA to see just how zen it is. Last time I heard it I listened mostly to how full and rich the notes were. It was remarkable.

Still for my situation and room Rachael is very very good.  I will own or build a little zen amp some day. It will either be a second system amp or my desktop amp.  ZMA if I win the lottery.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #75 - 02/15/14 at 13:20:51

Yes, if I win the Lottery I'd buy the ZMA. . . and the Monos. . .and I'd probably have three or four systems, maybe even a dedicated home theater with Monos and ERRs!

Note to self: buy a few Lottery tickets. Smiley

My mind was spinning with all the favorable posts regarding the ZMA and I considered selling a lot of stereo and musical stuff and getting one and maybe the Ultra preamp to accomodate all my sources. But that's a huge expense, and I'm really so happy with my CSP2+ with Beeswax caps into my Torii Mk III with Beeswax caps. The clincher is that the ZMA doesn't come with a treble cut circuit. Steve says he probably could add one but didn't seem too enthused and that would be cost added too. I can't live without a treble cut circuit on my Decware amps. Steve likes things sunnier than i do and this is the only way I can get the best of my Redbook material (90 percent of my music listening).

In some ways I was incredibly happy with my Integrated (pre-Rachel) with its lovely tone and its slightly forgiving nature. With the treble cut circuit (first amp I had that in) it was a real workhouse that brought me many hours of pleasure. It didn't have the jeuvos to fill up my then big listening room, but it was such a wonderful sounding amp. I'll always reminisce fondly about that little devil!

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #76 - 02/15/14 at 16:32:44

I still need to spend some time with the Torii mk III to see what the ZMA adds above that amp. MkIIIs are selling for a very good price these days.

IP Logged
Raymond
Verified Member

Reply #77 - 02/18/14 at 20:45:14

The amp is well worth the wait even though it never seems fast enough in the waiting list. I have about 150 hours on it and installed some vintage ( circa 1957) mullard el-34 tubes a couple of vintage 6dj8 amperex made in Holland and a 1957 mullard metal base 5ar4 . I was using a mullard fat base 5ar4 until then . The amp sounded fine as it was I just have a fondness for old tubes. It is a incredible amp to be sure. I sold my 2 watt decware amp in favor of six watts and found this amp matched with my Decware HDT speakers a little better mix with the added bonus of a little more power and volume. enjoy enjoy enjoy

IP Logged
Auguie

Reply #78 - 02/18/14 at 23:16:54

Raymond...I'm intrigued.  I have been considering this amp for my HDT's, and would be interested if you're experience with this amp improved the sound of the HDT's.  I am currently running my pair with a pair of SE 84CSM monoblocks (2 WPC) and would like to hear your impressions of this combination.

Dan

Decware SE84CS M Monoblocks & HDT Speakers; First Sound Presence Deluxe MK I Pre Amp; Denafrips Aries II DAC;Innous ZenMini MKII server;VPI Scout/Dynavector 10X5 Cart;Phenomena II Phono Pre;XLO/Wireworld/Signal/Transparent Cables.
  IP Logged
Raymond
Verified Member

Reply #79 - 02/18/14 at 23:57:24

I was contemplating buying the two watt mono blocks and when i asked Steves advice based on my speakers and what music i listen too he recommended Rachel.The amp sounds just like my two watt except it has a little heavier base and a little sweeter midrange.Otherwise they sound the same and of course i have more volume as i was always maxed on the dial. Steve voiced the amp with the HDT speakers and once again was bang on.

IP Logged
Auguie

Reply #80 - 02/27/14 at 22:15:35

Raymond...sorry for the late reply.  I also heard that Steve voiced this amp with the HDT's.  When I was at Decfest last year, I didn't hear this combo enough to form an opinion, although I value Steve's opinion very highly.

Given all that, are you using the amp with a pre-amp?  If so, which one?

Thanks for your input in advance

Decware SE84CS M Monoblocks & HDT Speakers; First Sound Presence Deluxe MK I Pre Amp; Denafrips Aries II DAC;Innous ZenMini MKII server;VPI Scout/Dynavector 10X5 Cart;Phenomena II Phono Pre;XLO/Wireworld/Signal/Transparent Cables.
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #81 - 02/27/14 at 22:21:44

I'm gonna poke my nose in here to say that SE34.I.3 just arrived today. To get right to the point, my first impression is that this amp doesn't really need a pre-amp in front of it. On the other hand, I will try it with one just to see.

P2280003.JPG

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #82 - 02/27/14 at 22:33:23

I've tried one with mine and felt there was something to "riding the gain" but didn't keep it hooked up.

I listen to a lot of playlists versus albums and don't want to adjust much when I am listening and to get the most out of it, I felt you had to.

IP Logged
Raymond
Verified Member

Reply #83 - 02/28/14 at 02:05:07

I listen to vinyl only so i have it hooked to a Allnic 1201 which is a combination that works for me.

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #84 - 02/28/14 at 21:22:20

Well, I have had the opportunity to listen enough to say, it's a keeper. Listened to Synergy Chords album last night, and I don't really like to use the word shocked too much, but I did find myself with mouth open hearing the music even more tantalizing than before. A list of other types of music keep me entertained during the latest storm siege. I did do some twiddling with the amp by adding some sound deadening material on the underside. I also prefer brass to black screws, and changed them all,  30 or something.

P3010011.JPG

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #85 - 02/28/14 at 21:29:51

Looks nice.  I was thinking of trying that rectifier.  Probably too early for you to be rolling tubes, but any comments you have are appreciated.

I am using RCA 5u4gs.  I just picked a couple more up on ebay for a song.  They got some pretty good write-ups and I have to agree.

What are the brass weights?  Vibration dampers or something?

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #86 - 02/28/14 at 21:52:55

Sir, you are an observant one. Yes the brass weights were my first attempt on a metal lathe. Figured out quickly that it is harder than it looks. Anyway, when I bought this amp from Steve, we talked a bit about tubes, and this rectifier is the one he sent with the amp. Can't really compare, but suffice it to say, I have no thoughts about rolling just yet. I do have some EL 34 Rubys down stairs that call out to me. As far as rectifier tubes, time will tell. Here is a photo of the underside. I like the notes drawn on the underside.

P2280005.JPG

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #87 - 02/28/14 at 21:57:26

Thanks for the picture.  I like the beeswax caps.  Did you order a new white top or was this a used amp?

I have a white top with standard caps and a black top with Jupiters.  I am thinking about upgrading the white top to the beeswax.

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #88 - 02/28/14 at 22:09:01

This was the prototype that Steve used pre-production. There were a few upgrades such as the Jupiters, one pre-out, mono pots(which I switch to mono attenuators), and 4 inputs that are not hooked up(Steve is picky about the presence of too many connections, and wanted this amp to be as straightforward as possible. I agree). I added silver input jacks, few other niceties. You can see by the notes written on the chassis that this was the idea in the making. here is a cool shot of the Jupiter.

P2280006.JPG

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #89 - 02/28/14 at 22:16:05

Cool shot.  

Those prototype amps are a definite collectable.

I also see you are using Herbies dampers on your power tubes.  I just bought some for the input tubes and feel they add a bit of focus.  Any thoughts on the output tube dampers?

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #90 - 02/28/14 at 22:21:07

Well, I think that most all of tube equipment will benefit from damping, and Herbies' seems to have gone to great lengths to produce a quality product. I will most likely add some to the input tubes as well. I have used Sorbothane feet on the bottom of this unit, but will replace them with Tenderfeet in time. To a much smaller degree, I feel that damping the output trannys will keep it all clean. It's just that you have hundreds of feet of fine wire that could be affected by vibration. Just a thought.

IP Logged
Raymond
Verified Member

Reply #91 - 03/01/14 at 16:30:49

I use tube dampners on all my gear if possible and i find it is a definite improvement on focus and background .Now hear boys is the kicker believe it or not I use Herbies dampners on my interconnect and speaker cables and find that to be an even bigger improvement than the tube dampners. Yes i rolled the dice spend a couple of hundred at Herbies and my friends and i were floored at the improvement. tweak tweak tweak

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #92 - 03/01/14 at 19:59:37

Ray, I agree about most damping. I also am now using the cable dampers from Herbies. In the future, I will add the Tenderfeet. For now, I am using an ARMY of Sorbothane footers because their rating is not made for the weight.

IP Logged
Matthew (was ML)
Verified Member

Reply #93 - 03/29/14 at 05:11:59

What is the dampening material you are using on the underside.  I don't see it.  Did you dampen the underside of the top plate or the underside of the wood base?  i was thinking of using dynamat but I didn't want to introduce metal and then have to ground it somehow.

Do the the brass weights help any?

Matthew
  IP Logged
markv

Reply #94 - 04/02/14 at 11:52:56

Jameskk - Now that you have more hours on the Racheal, do you still feel the Racheal is a marked improvement over the Superzen?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print