Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/25/24 at 20:35:15 

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
SE34I.3 On Waiting List (Read 77021 times)
JD
Seasoned Member

Re: SE34I.3 On Waiting List
Reply #50 - 03/01/13 at 00:33:24

I agree that Phillips 5R4GYS is a great rectifier.  That and 1953 RCA 5R4GYS are my favorite rectifiers they really open up the sound.

JD

IP Logged
Greg12
Seasoned Member

Reply #51 - 03/01/13 at 00:54:14

Yeah JD,  I don't want to have a pile of extra rectifiers laying around since in Decware gear they can last what,, 10yrs or so?  But I wonder if I should grab 2 more of the philips ones for the long term since they seem to be popular, not sure how long UpscaleAudio will have them for $45.

Torii MkIII with Jupiter caps, ZP3 with Jupiter caps, DM947 Monoliths, Oppo 105, Pro-ject Rm-5.1 Se TT. Hana SH Shibata MC Cartridge 2.0mV
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #52 - 03/01/13 at 01:06:09

Just have an earlier cd of that one. Cool session!

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Greg12
Seasoned Member

Reply #53 - 03/01/13 at 01:21:03

Question.    So if on my 92db 8 ohm spkrs, assuming I like the sound of my speakers, cause I do,,, if I decide I just can't get enough volume w/ the Rachael  and I saved up another $1400,  would I be better off getting another Rachael thereby upping the power to 12watts ea in bridged mono,  or would buying, for similar $$, the 94DB MG944 's produce more volume?

I know there's some mathematical formula or something for determining volume based on watt's and DB, but Johnny ain't so good with the math.. Tongue  (especially after a couple IPA's)

Torii MkIII with Jupiter caps, ZP3 with Jupiter caps, DM947 Monoliths, Oppo 105, Pro-ject Rm-5.1 Se TT. Hana SH Shibata MC Cartridge 2.0mV
  IP Logged
DPC
Ex Member

Reply #54 - 03/01/13 at 02:47:20

I could never convince anyone that I have any math skills but the new speaker idea sure sounds like a winner!

Dennis

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #55 - 03/01/13 at 11:30:33

I am interested in hearing any responses to your question Greg12 as I am in the same boat.  

I have 89db speakers that are generally plenty loud enough for critical listening in a smaller room, I just would like some more ooomph at times.

I have had some luck with building and like full range drivers, so I am thinking about building something with the Decware DFR8 driver.  Maybe a Decware High Definition Tower (HDT).

Also, I did some "nesting" to pass the time while I waited for my amp.  I put covers on my speaker cables, bought an isolation transformer, made a breakout box, fiddled with speaker location, etc.  It helped pass the time.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #56 - 03/01/13 at 11:52:31

2 Rachaels through my 89 db`s sounds more than adequate.
Waiting for a replacement EL34 and listening through 1 Rachael sounds v/good but miss the extra bass authority and great presence/room fill.
More efficient speakers should/would equal the same ? You know I think it`s possible. Interesting thought.
I dont drink anymore but those Greene King IPA`s were   Tongue

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #57 - 03/05/13 at 22:26:38

I have about 100 hours on my Rachael.  I finally listened to some classical for the first time over the weekend.  

This was a completely different expeirience than any other time I have listened to my classical "playlist."  The 3D soundstage made a huge difference in my appreciation of this music.  It really was like being in the concert hall.  I usually listen to classical in sort of a passive way.  This was very engaging.

This kind of presentation is what I have been looking for in my search over the past few years.  Very impressive.

Sorry Greg12, this probably does not help your wait.  But it does give you something to look forward to.  I would say be patient with the break-in period and you'll be rewarded.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
opnlybafld
Ex Member

Reply #58 - 03/06/13 at 01:05:29

Greg12,

The number you should use to compare your speakers to the MG944s is 89dB (92dB is with ave room gain added).

89dB vs 93/94 dB ~ so all else being equal the 944s should be a little louder with 6 watts than the Paradigms with 12 ~ not all things are equal of course, the Paradigms have a 3rd order 2 way x-o and 2nd order low pass filter whereas the MG944s have a 1st order x-o, arguably this makes a difference also with fewer parts in the x-o being better for low power tube amps.

Lin

IP Logged
Greg12
Seasoned Member

Reply #59 - 03/06/13 at 03:47:16

Great information guys, I really appreciate everybody taking time to answer my novice questions.  The wait is tough, but reading all the great info helps me imagine the treat I'm in for.  Sounds stupid, but sometimes I'll wake up at like 3am, and I'll lie there thinking about the amp and how it will sound.  I'm 46 but I feel like a little kid who's anticipating xmas morning.  Kind of ridiculous, but it is fun to think about.

Greg

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #60 - 03/06/13 at 21:46:43

Just read your first post on this thread Greg. Very good of Steve to chat about volume levels, which are topical for recent weeks posts in the" How much power is enough" thread.
Bang on from Steve.

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
Greg12
Seasoned Member

Reply #61 - 03/22/13 at 18:46:34

Well I saw that there was movement on the waiting list and I am getting near the point where the amp was gonna get built.  I've been stewing for weeks now about the potential lack of volume I'd be getting w/ the Rachael,  and I really want to be one and done for life on this amp purchase.  So I called Steve today.  My only concern w/ not getting the Rachael and going w/ the Torii lll instead was losing the SET sound in the mid range,  he said I would not lose anything there.  The Rachael is more forgiving of bad recordings but that's it.  the Torii is more accurate but has the treble controls to tame extra brightness. Has the SET sound, plus the obvious, 25watts.  So, long story short,  he switched my order to the Torii MK lll  w/ jupiter caps.  Gonna cost more,  but I feel much better now knowing there's no chance of regretting not doing it now, rather than later.   Now all I gotta do is explain all this to the War Department  ;) and hope she'll understand the added expense. Wish me luck!.  I think she'll understand.  ;D

IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #62 - 03/22/13 at 19:36:59

Greg you've made a great choice.  I as well wanted to be one and done in amp buying and I've had the Torii MKIII for just under a year.  It will blow you away and it keeps getting better and better.  A good amount of tubes to swap but not so many that it's overwhelming.  With great sources and interconnects you truly can't go wrong with this amp. The only negative is now I've also bought the CSP2+ and the ZP3 and numerous DECWARE interconnects because of the great quality and logical prices.

JD

IP Logged
Greg12
Seasoned Member

Reply #63 - 03/22/13 at 20:24:54

Thanks JD!

IP Logged
P K
Seasoned Member

Reply #64 - 07/12/13 at 19:26:44

SE34I.3 versus a Mini Torii?

It seems that a Mini Torii has a better chance of taming a bright high end (due to tube rolling and the treble adjustment).

But does the SE34I.3 some better (all things being equal)?

Also, will you save money on replacement tubes as the MINI Torii tubes are reported to last much longer.

Any comments?

IP Logged
jameskk
Seasoned Member

Reply #65 - 02/09/14 at 11:35:48

Tomorrow my Racheal arrives , ordered it without tubes God knows I have enough to fill this . Been listening to my Superzen for a solid year now . should be a fun Breakin week . also have been sitting on a tori mkiii  which has to go back to Decware to be checked, and maybe partially updated. I have had great sound since my first zen I bought awhile ago . Looking forward to the Racheal vs superzen  listening .

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #66 - 02/09/14 at 11:58:59

Some serious fun ahead! Cheesy

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
jameskk
Seasoned Member

Reply #67 - 02/11/14 at 20:01:22

now , after only 2 days I know why this amp sits in the Decware amplifier build room.

IP Logged
jameskk
Seasoned Member

Reply #68 - 02/13/14 at 14:28:30

Hey PK sorry to rain or snow on your parade!!!! Racheals a Diva of the highest caliper....

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #69 - 02/13/14 at 14:39:57

+1

I think I have my room pretty set now and Rachael sounds the best she ever has.  The more you let her show off, the better she sounds.  While my eye will wander from time to time to a SE84, and now the ZMA, she'll always be my girl.

Working at home today so I get to spend all day with her.  My wife has become suspicious.

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #70 - 02/14/14 at 00:20:19

Ok, that's it! I made an executive decision today, and bought Steve's original prototype of this amp. I wandered back and forth, looking at various Decware models, and while price determined one or two choices, I ended up with this amp. I shouldn't say 'ended up' as though it were settling for or something like that, but rather after talking with Steve for awhile, it was the best choice for me. I didn't want a lot of extras, so as it turns out, I got more in the performance arena than the option arena. So, if I remember correctly, it has one set of outputs, a volume control for each channel, just happens to have the Jensen capacitors installed, and will come with a set of 6N2P input tubes. The rest of the tubes are 'stock', and that is fine since I have a few of my own. I actually owned a 34i.1 a long time ago, and it kinda drove me nuts with all of the different ways it could be hooked up and then different switches for tube bias. Then there were switches for the transformers themselves, IIRC, and it was too much for my OCD! This is a much more straightforward amp for me and will undoubtedly be a great choice for my ZOB speakers. Presently I am using an Audio Nirvana integrated amp that is really good, BUT it is push pull 6V6 and as good as it is, I still prefer SET sound. The new amp may arrive next week, and that will give me a little time to break the news to my wife(tomm is VAlentines, so that might be a window). More to follow as soon as the amp arrives. Like some of you, I have an idea what to expect, but have never run the ZOB speakers on a Decware amp. This may be one of the last steps to Audio Nirvana. Kiss

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #71 - 02/14/14 at 00:23:09

CONGRATS! I think you'll really be happy. I have an amp that Bob owned, the very first Torii Mk II, and it's pretty cool to have a "family" amp. Keep us posted!

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #72 - 02/14/14 at 03:52:00

Lon,

Good to hear from you. Yah, it's kinda kool to have a 000 serial number amp. I used to own two SV83CS? mono amps., number 1 and 2. They were unforgettable, which brings me back to here. BTW, I meant to say that this new amp will have one set of INPUTS, well, I guess it does have one set of outputs too, heh heh. Still warming up the wife subliminally. It's a hurdle I tell ya.

mad_dr-1.jpg

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
jameskk
Seasoned Member

Reply #73 - 02/15/14 at 12:01:56

I have noticed a marked improvement of the Racheal over the superzen . So I have some questions about this . Does the EL34 in triode sound better or react better to the triode mode, than the 6p15ev?  Does having a input tube for each output tube do a better job of sound , noticed you went to this with the Racheal and ZMA. Would it improve the superzen to have a input tube  for each output tube??? Does the Hazen , CCE mod work better with the EL34 than the 6p15ev ?  Or am I just hearing one amp that's 3x  the power ?

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #74 - 02/15/14 at 12:38:59

I don't currently have either the zen or the ZMA.  I heard them at zenfest and really liked them both. To keep my comments brief I liked the clarity and soundstage of the zen and the richness of the ZMA.  

I get to hear them now because I get together with another decware afficianado and he has both. We haul gear over to each other's house and mix systems.  

Tomorrow I am going to be listening to the ZMA to see just how zen it is. Last time I heard it I listened mostly to how full and rich the notes were. It was remarkable.

Still for my situation and room Rachael is very very good.  I will own or build a little zen amp some day. It will either be a second system amp or my desktop amp.  ZMA if I win the lottery.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #75 - 02/15/14 at 13:20:51

Yes, if I win the Lottery I'd buy the ZMA. . . and the Monos. . .and I'd probably have three or four systems, maybe even a dedicated home theater with Monos and ERRs!

Note to self: buy a few Lottery tickets. Smiley

My mind was spinning with all the favorable posts regarding the ZMA and I considered selling a lot of stereo and musical stuff and getting one and maybe the Ultra preamp to accomodate all my sources. But that's a huge expense, and I'm really so happy with my CSP2+ with Beeswax caps into my Torii Mk III with Beeswax caps. The clincher is that the ZMA doesn't come with a treble cut circuit. Steve says he probably could add one but didn't seem too enthused and that would be cost added too. I can't live without a treble cut circuit on my Decware amps. Steve likes things sunnier than i do and this is the only way I can get the best of my Redbook material (90 percent of my music listening).

In some ways I was incredibly happy with my Integrated (pre-Rachel) with its lovely tone and its slightly forgiving nature. With the treble cut circuit (first amp I had that in) it was a real workhouse that brought me many hours of pleasure. It didn't have the jeuvos to fill up my then big listening room, but it was such a wonderful sounding amp. I'll always reminisce fondly about that little devil!

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #76 - 02/15/14 at 16:32:44

I still need to spend some time with the Torii mk III to see what the ZMA adds above that amp. MkIIIs are selling for a very good price these days.

IP Logged
Raymond
Verified Member

Reply #77 - 02/18/14 at 20:45:14

The amp is well worth the wait even though it never seems fast enough in the waiting list. I have about 150 hours on it and installed some vintage ( circa 1957) mullard el-34 tubes a couple of vintage 6dj8 amperex made in Holland and a 1957 mullard metal base 5ar4 . I was using a mullard fat base 5ar4 until then . The amp sounded fine as it was I just have a fondness for old tubes. It is a incredible amp to be sure. I sold my 2 watt decware amp in favor of six watts and found this amp matched with my Decware HDT speakers a little better mix with the added bonus of a little more power and volume. enjoy enjoy enjoy

IP Logged
Auguie

Reply #78 - 02/18/14 at 23:16:54

Raymond...I'm intrigued.  I have been considering this amp for my HDT's, and would be interested if you're experience with this amp improved the sound of the HDT's.  I am currently running my pair with a pair of SE 84CSM monoblocks (2 WPC) and would like to hear your impressions of this combination.

Dan

Decware SE84CS M Monoblocks & HDT Speakers; First Sound Presence Deluxe MK I Pre Amp; Denafrips Aries II DAC;Innous ZenMini MKII server;VPI Scout/Dynavector 10X5 Cart;Phenomena II Phono Pre;XLO/Wireworld/Signal/Transparent Cables.
  IP Logged
Raymond
Verified Member

Reply #79 - 02/18/14 at 23:57:24

I was contemplating buying the two watt mono blocks and when i asked Steves advice based on my speakers and what music i listen too he recommended Rachel.The amp sounds just like my two watt except it has a little heavier base and a little sweeter midrange.Otherwise they sound the same and of course i have more volume as i was always maxed on the dial. Steve voiced the amp with the HDT speakers and once again was bang on.

IP Logged
Auguie

Reply #80 - 02/27/14 at 22:15:35

Raymond...sorry for the late reply.  I also heard that Steve voiced this amp with the HDT's.  When I was at Decfest last year, I didn't hear this combo enough to form an opinion, although I value Steve's opinion very highly.

Given all that, are you using the amp with a pre-amp?  If so, which one?

Thanks for your input in advance

Decware SE84CS M Monoblocks & HDT Speakers; First Sound Presence Deluxe MK I Pre Amp; Denafrips Aries II DAC;Innous ZenMini MKII server;VPI Scout/Dynavector 10X5 Cart;Phenomena II Phono Pre;XLO/Wireworld/Signal/Transparent Cables.
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #81 - 02/27/14 at 22:21:44

I'm gonna poke my nose in here to say that SE34.I.3 just arrived today. To get right to the point, my first impression is that this amp doesn't really need a pre-amp in front of it. On the other hand, I will try it with one just to see.

P2280003.JPG

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #82 - 02/27/14 at 22:33:23

I've tried one with mine and felt there was something to "riding the gain" but didn't keep it hooked up.

I listen to a lot of playlists versus albums and don't want to adjust much when I am listening and to get the most out of it, I felt you had to.

IP Logged
Raymond
Verified Member

Reply #83 - 02/28/14 at 02:05:07

I listen to vinyl only so i have it hooked to a Allnic 1201 which is a combination that works for me.

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #84 - 02/28/14 at 21:22:20

Well, I have had the opportunity to listen enough to say, it's a keeper. Listened to Synergy Chords album last night, and I don't really like to use the word shocked too much, but I did find myself with mouth open hearing the music even more tantalizing than before. A list of other types of music keep me entertained during the latest storm siege. I did do some twiddling with the amp by adding some sound deadening material on the underside. I also prefer brass to black screws, and changed them all,  30 or something.

P3010011.JPG

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #85 - 02/28/14 at 21:29:51

Looks nice.  I was thinking of trying that rectifier.  Probably too early for you to be rolling tubes, but any comments you have are appreciated.

I am using RCA 5u4gs.  I just picked a couple more up on ebay for a song.  They got some pretty good write-ups and I have to agree.

What are the brass weights?  Vibration dampers or something?

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #86 - 02/28/14 at 21:52:55

Sir, you are an observant one. Yes the brass weights were my first attempt on a metal lathe. Figured out quickly that it is harder than it looks. Anyway, when I bought this amp from Steve, we talked a bit about tubes, and this rectifier is the one he sent with the amp. Can't really compare, but suffice it to say, I have no thoughts about rolling just yet. I do have some EL 34 Rubys down stairs that call out to me. As far as rectifier tubes, time will tell. Here is a photo of the underside. I like the notes drawn on the underside.

P2280005.JPG

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #87 - 02/28/14 at 21:57:26

Thanks for the picture.  I like the beeswax caps.  Did you order a new white top or was this a used amp?

I have a white top with standard caps and a black top with Jupiters.  I am thinking about upgrading the white top to the beeswax.

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #88 - 02/28/14 at 22:09:01

This was the prototype that Steve used pre-production. There were a few upgrades such as the Jupiters, one pre-out, mono pots(which I switch to mono attenuators), and 4 inputs that are not hooked up(Steve is picky about the presence of too many connections, and wanted this amp to be as straightforward as possible. I agree). I added silver input jacks, few other niceties. You can see by the notes written on the chassis that this was the idea in the making. here is a cool shot of the Jupiter.

P2280006.JPG

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #89 - 02/28/14 at 22:16:05

Cool shot.  

Those prototype amps are a definite collectable.

I also see you are using Herbies dampers on your power tubes.  I just bought some for the input tubes and feel they add a bit of focus.  Any thoughts on the output tube dampers?

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #90 - 02/28/14 at 22:21:07

Well, I think that most all of tube equipment will benefit from damping, and Herbies' seems to have gone to great lengths to produce a quality product. I will most likely add some to the input tubes as well. I have used Sorbothane feet on the bottom of this unit, but will replace them with Tenderfeet in time. To a much smaller degree, I feel that damping the output trannys will keep it all clean. It's just that you have hundreds of feet of fine wire that could be affected by vibration. Just a thought.

IP Logged
Raymond
Verified Member

Reply #91 - 03/01/14 at 16:30:49

I use tube dampners on all my gear if possible and i find it is a definite improvement on focus and background .Now hear boys is the kicker believe it or not I use Herbies dampners on my interconnect and speaker cables and find that to be an even bigger improvement than the tube dampners. Yes i rolled the dice spend a couple of hundred at Herbies and my friends and i were floored at the improvement. tweak tweak tweak

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #92 - 03/01/14 at 19:59:37

Ray, I agree about most damping. I also am now using the cable dampers from Herbies. In the future, I will add the Tenderfeet. For now, I am using an ARMY of Sorbothane footers because their rating is not made for the weight.

IP Logged
Matthew (was ML)
Verified Member

Reply #93 - 03/29/14 at 05:11:59

What is the dampening material you are using on the underside.  I don't see it.  Did you dampen the underside of the top plate or the underside of the wood base?  i was thinking of using dynamat but I didn't want to introduce metal and then have to ground it somehow.

Do the the brass weights help any?

Matthew
  IP Logged
markv

Reply #94 - 04/02/14 at 11:52:56

Jameskk - Now that you have more hours on the Racheal, do you still feel the Racheal is a marked improvement over the Superzen?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print