Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Driving the ERR's (Read 914 times)
netbususer
Ex Member

Driving the ERR's
05/05/12 at 21:07:43

Hey everyone,

My CSP2+ will arrive soon and be used predominately as my headphone amplifier but I am looking to get into the speaker world now and the ERR's sound perfect for my needs. My question is what do you use to drive them? Obviously the Taboo would be the cheapest route for me with the CSP2+ as a pre-amp, but would it be capable of driving them well in an average sized room?

Does the Mini-Torii do the ERR's justice on its own or is the full Torii III needed to really drive the ERR's?

Just looking for your experience with these speakers.

TIA!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Driving the ERR's
Reply #1 - 05/05/12 at 21:18:05

Welcome!

I own ERRs and an earlier pair in the series, the RL2. The RL2 I drove with a Select amp, and an Integrated, and really felt that for my needs in my best setup more power was needed, so I bought a Torii Mk II (then a Torii Mk III when that came out).  I've run the ERRs in my largest room with the Toriis, and briefly in a small room with the Integrated.

In a small room this type of power is not needed, I'm sure a Taboo or Mini-Torii would work well in a smaller room with near-field listening. So. . . I think the room is the determining factor.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 05/05/12 at 23:52:48

The ERR's are 8 OHM impedance, which would go good with a TABOO. The CSP2+ behind the TABOO will push the combination to ultimately satisfying limits.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 05/06/12 at 01:01:17

Depending on the room size.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4 - 05/06/12 at 01:03:20

Rivieraranch wrote on 05/05/12 at 23:52:48:
The ERR's are 8 OHM impedance, which would go good with a TABOO. The CSP2+ behind the TABOO will push the combination to ultimately satisfying limits.  

That may be so, but to be honest, they work far better with my Torii in the 4 ohm position as opposed to the 8 ohm. I think of them as more a 6 ohm speaker load (with further dips) overall.

IP Logged
netbususer
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 05/06/12 at 22:08:55

Well, I have two different rooms I could place them in... Either my 15 x 18 x 12 room (3200 cu. ft.) or my 15 x 12 x 10 room (1800 cu. ft). Does this help with the decision at all?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6 - 05/07/12 at 00:31:13

I would call and talk to Steve. Those sizes seem okay for power. . . not ideal for placement (ERRs like to be "out into the room" quite a bit to take advantage of their spectacular imaging).

Anyway, I think any of the amps would work, but a talk with Steve would narrow down the best options. I myself have become addicted to the headroom and the sense of ease of the big amps. . . I probably wouldn't go back to a smaller amp even if I were in a smaller room.

IP Logged
doukhobar
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 03/24/16 at 02:56:18

Hello,

I was wondering, has anyone tried biamping these? If you wanted to biamp, would the amps need to be identical monoblocks, or could you use two different amplifiers - e.g. one amp for the L/R high, and another amp for the L/R woofer. Or, because there is a resistor/capacitor in the chain, do you need to have a dedicated amp for the Left speaker and an identical dedicated amp for the Right speaker?

Currently, my amp is a SE84CKC, which from my understanding will be acceptable for low listening volumes, though 6-30 Watts is more optimal.

Any thoughts on the biamping scheme?

Thanks!

Torii Jr, Taboo III, Dennis Had Firebottle amp & LP2 pre, ERR speakers, Omega 3XRS, Omega Super Alnico XRS, Bryston BDP-1, Kora Hermes DAC, Pear Audio Robin Hood TT w/Cornet 1 tonearm & Hana SL cart, ZP3 Cryo Beeswax caps, Bob's Devices SUT, HD800, LCD2, Zenwave
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print