03/29/24 at 14:19:54 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New Torii MKIII (Read 6650 times)
CK722
Seasoned Member

New Torii MKIII
04/28/12 at 22:57:16

I am extremely busy at work and don’t have much free time; however, I want to share a bit of experience I have had with Decware and my new Torii MKIII. I called Steve one day asking about his speakers. I felt that my Kilpsch were too bright. I had treated my room, modified the Klipsch internal crossovers and spent lots of money on various CD players.  Steve asked several questions and had me try some test.  He said “I don’t know if I should sell you new speakers or recommend a different amp but I am leaning toward the amp”.  I was surprised by that statement. I was sure my speakers were the problem.  I took a chance and ordered the Torii. There were many other questions and I can tell you that everything this man has told me turned out to be correct.

It was a very long wait so I was really excited when it came. It was packed very well and came complete.  Dealing with Steve and Sarah has been top notch.  I did not like the amp right out of the box. Once I had time to really play with the controls and dial it in, I started to like it more and more.  I have been running it for about 16 hours on and off for 8. I estimate to have almost 200 hours on it. My system is quite resolving and small changes are noticed.  I have had several solid state amps costing about the same as the Torii. My Bob Latino ST-120 toped them all. The Torii replaced my ST-120 and it was defiantly a step in the right direction. I am feeding the Torii with my Oppo 95 Modwright Tube Modification. The Torii does change a lot with break in and tube rolling. It just gets better and better. The end result is that I absolutely love the Torii. I sold my Marantz AV7005 and ordered a Zen Ultra. I am very excited to receive it!  

As you probably already know, writing is not one of my strengths. I will say this - the below paragraph was taken right out of the Torii manual and it describes this amp perfectly:

“The width is equally impressive creating an arc that comes back to your shoulders, many feet past the speakers position. The sound is big. It's full, the dynamics are convincingly real as is the midrange and the top end seems to extend forever. Micro detail is almost twice as resolved as our single ended triode amps.”

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: New Torii MKIII
Reply #1 - 04/28/12 at 23:46:25

Roy, welcome. And congratulations on your Mk III. Over the years I've learned to trust what Steve says, as you've discovered he knows whereof he speaks. Smiley I think you'll find even more enjoyment from the Torii as time passes and it seasons and you learn how it best is adjusted and equipted to suit your system. Keep us posted and keep on listening!

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
ski bum
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 05/02/12 at 17:14:30

Hola, Roy, and welcome to the forum.

What Klipsch are you running?

IP Logged
CK722
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 05/02/12 at 18:06:53

Thanks guys. I will keep everyone posted.  I really like this amp. It is by far the best amp I have ever had in my system. It blows me away to hear how much small changes such as interconnects now make on my system with this amp coupled to a good source. I never believed interconnects could really make that much of a difference until now. Although it is far easier for me to understand how the high impedance -low signal interconnects could make an audible difference, I am still not in tune with low impedance speaker wire. I went from 12 ga zip cord to low inductance Belden 10 gauge cable, but have not had a chance to compare the two.  After buying the Torii and the Ultra, I can’t afford Decwares cable at this time. I need about 35 feet.  If I can notice a difference in these cables, I am sure down the road I will end up with Decware’s speaker cable but because of my needed length, it will be a lot of money.

My speakers are Klipsch RF-7’s.  I have always had a problem with them being too “harsh / bright” for my taste. Modifying the crossovers did help a bit. Room treatments helped a lot. Bob Latino’s ST-120 tube amp further helped the problem. This was with a modified Jolida JD-100. But then I had my Oppo BDP 95 modified with Modwrights tube output stage.  It is a wonderful mod but it is so accurate that the higher resolution intensified my RF-7’s harshness.  Amazingly, I can run the treble full range on most recordings with the Torii except on a few hi rez recordings where I find the need to turn the treble controls down to about  3/16th of max.  I never thought my RF-7’s could be so extended on the high frequencies without having the harshness.
I am not sure why my spacing is off when I preview? [font=Arial][/font][size=10][/size]

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 05/02/12 at 21:37:45

Roy,

Great news what an improvement the Torii has brought to your listening enjoyment.

For me, not only interconnects and speaker wire, but also power wires, connectors, feet...even specific foot placement, and of course all the tube types. With a Torii and a good source and speakers in a good room, everything is a tunable system part. Amazing!

Have fun!

All Modified: Balanced Transformer-DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender-RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro-ZBIT-CSP3-OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV, Simple Wave 300B-HR1/SVS Micro3000sub-Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print