Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 22:24:58 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Using CSP2 with another preamp (Read 6188 times)
sberger
Seasoned Member

Using CSP2 with another preamp
03/19/12 at 06:33:37

I recently acquired a preamp that I'm using with my Torii. However I would to continue to use the CSP2 as my headphone amp since the pre has no headphone capability. Since the pre and the CSP2 both have volume knobs what would be the best way to use them together? I assume it's the same answer as when I used the CSP2 with the Torii, use them both for the best possible sound. But thought I'd get some opinions hopefully from any others in a similar situation.

Thanks.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Using CSP2 with another preamp
Reply #1 - 03/19/12 at 12:26:18

The best answer is the best way is what sounds best to you. . .

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
sberger
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 03/19/12 at 14:42:47

Well of course you're right Lon but getting opinions from those that have specific experience is what makes forums like these valuable. Just want to make sure I'm doing what I can to get the best sound.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 03/19/12 at 14:48:59

I understand that. I'm just a little different: I always dive in first, ask questions much later. Smiley

Don't have any experience to relate because I really burned out on headphone use when I was recording the bands I played in at the close of the 'eighties. My CSP2 was built without a headphone jack. I'm lucky, I live by myself or with my music-loving gal, and don't need to use headphones, it's speakers all the time for me.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
sberger
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 03/19/12 at 16:12:49

Oh I dive also but i know there is so much about our hobby that I can continue to learn from those more experienced than myself like you. So I continue to ask. We both know ftom our experience that all it takes sometimes is the simplest adjustment that we forgot or didn't know that allows for the best listening experience.

With a wife and kid listening done after 9:30 PM is via cans. So obviously getting the best from the system is important.

IP Logged
Chris K
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 03/19/12 at 22:14:32

I'd try the CSP first in the chain after the source of course. If the second pre is daisy chained in, the CSP driving it should wake it up pretty good. You have to play with the left and right trim pots next to the transformer in the back of the CSP. I never have those past 7 clicks. There is a little higher noise floor at that level but the output is strong even with the main volume at 1/3. careful not to overdrive the input of the other preamp. If that pre is a solid state device the CSP2 can present some nasty turn on/off spikes which will not be friendly to any solid state down line and if it is a solid state amp then the speakers will not like that abuse. Always turn on the CSP a minute before other components. tube amps under 25wpc should be innocuous as far as DC goes though. As far as I've experienced I've never hurt the CSP2 by overdriving it on the inputs and it is pretty safe piece of equipment and virtually indestructible electrically.

IMHO you can and will hurt a solid-state  device if you over drive it with  a powerful tube preamp like a CSP2. be careful!

Resistance is futile.
  IP Logged
sberger
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 03/19/12 at 22:24:34

Thanks Chris.

So my Artemis LA-1 pre(tube) has all my sources going into it. It has 2 outputs, one to my Torii, and one to the CSP2. That's the only reason the Artemis is still in the chain when I use headphones. Don't want to use the CSP as my preamp, just a headphone amp. I suppose I could disconnect whatever source decide to listen to with cans from the Artemis and plug it into the CSP for a more direct connection. Kind of a hassle but not impossible.

No issues with  separate channel output when using the CSP as a headphone amp as they are disabled.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print