Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/19/24 at 14:47:28 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
SE84C+ as a tweeter amplifier. (Read 4778 times)
silne3
Ex Member

SE84C+ as a tweeter amplifier.
03/13/12 at 22:02:19

I have a ribbon tweeter that I want to drive with the SE84C+.
I am using the marchand 24 dB/octave Linkwitz-Riley active crossover set at 10 KHz.
The tweeter is 8 Ohm and the sensitivity is 95 dB.
My main speakers are Beauhorn Virtuoso III / Lowther DX4.

1. Does the SE84C+ have enough power to drive the ribbon tweeter to match the Lowthers?
2. How does the SE84C+ sound in the upper register?

IP Logged
deucekazoo
Seasoned Member

Re: SE84C+ as a tweeter amplifier.
Reply #1 - 03/14/12 at 14:19:27

The SE84C is a great sounding amp all the way to the top. You don't have to worry about that.
You will need to figure out how efficient your Lowther is. I am doing something like this right now in my setup but I have the SE84CS amps. I am running the one full range and power to the helper tweeter and the second is running to my Fostex BLH. The Fostex full range driver is more efficient in my system than the tweeter so I had to adjust the volume on the second amp to match both the driver and the tweeter. You can do this with a basic DB meter and a frequency generator. My over all volume is controled by the CSP+ which is the preamp. You will need a preamp if you want to bi-amp your setup to control the over all volume.

IP Logged
ski bum
Seasoned Member

Re: SE84C+ as a tweeter amplifier.
Reply #2 - 03/15/12 at 04:58:07

Hello, and welcome to the forum!  I'll take a stab at answering your questions.

1.  It will be cutting it close, depending on how loud you like to listen.  Sending a high-passed signal will help eek a couple extra dbs out, but the amps will still clip badly past two watts, so use that in your calculations/estimates of the tweets max spl.  Another thing to consider is that the SE84C amps like low impedances, so you may not get full power into that 8 ohm tweet.  
2.  I agree with prior poster's opinion on the sound.  They have crystal clear, hyper-detailed-yet-smooth-as-silk highs, and make excellent tweeter amps.  I did it with pleasing results (after a lot of fiddling around, and that was using horn loaded compression drivers at about 115 db/w, so power was never an issue.)

If you listen at normal levels, it could work very well.  Let us know how it goes, and good luck!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print