Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 09:23:07 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
W.O. almost finished listening test (Read 5336 times)
tizman
Verified Member

W.O. almost finished listening test
03/10/12 at 11:38:29

I just finished putting 10" drivers into my 36X36" WO. I was going to screw the lid on, but decided to flip it over onto a shaggy wool area rug first to check out the sound. Wow! It completely blew me (and the wife and kids) away with its attack and power. I also built an isobaric tube sub that I completed about a week ago, this sub uses two 12" subs in an enclosure of about 4.9 cubic feet. The speakers in the tube sub are 4ohm 12" speakers with 43 ounce magnets. The WO is using two 8ohm 10 inchers with 20 ounce magnets. I connected one speaker to the A and one to the B outputs on my older Luxman receiver and went back and forth between them. I've had an opportunity to compare the two with scenes from Return of the King - Lord of the Rings (the Battle of Pelennor Fields), an older Chesky Records surround sound set up cd with musical selections on it, and with a PC based tone generator. The tube sub goes lower, with useable volume down to 14HZ as compared to 20HZ for the WO, but that is really the only advantage of the tube sub. In every other respect, the WO wins. It's louder with a given amplifier output (that's probably due to isobarics being half as efficient though), it has far more impact with explosions and all other sharp transients in movies, and it sounds cleaner and is less noticeable when listening to music. When I finished the tube sub about a week ago, I was impressed and very pleased with its performance. The new tube sub went much deeper and was cleaner sounding and had more volume with none of the port chuffing of my older sub. I had been using a smaller isobaric tube sub for several years for my HT that I had also built. This smaller sub contained the two ten inchers that I put into the WO. There is simply no comparison between the total volume output and sound quality of the WO and my old tube sub.  Even though although both used the exact same 10 inchers, the WO is far superior. I can't wait to put the lid on so I can hear it completed.
I do have a few questions first though.  Right now the WO seems to be coupling with the floor a lot which causes the floor to vibrate. Will putting the lid on cause the WO to have less impact for HT?  Has anyone who has used it both ways have any input or opinion on this? Also, does it make sense to use a crossover that uses the the tube sub only below 25hz or so? Thanks in advance for any information that you provide!

IP Logged
HT-EXT
Seasoned Member

NYUK NYUK NYUK

Re: W.O. almost finished listening test
Reply #1 - 03/10/12 at 16:27:18

I have used the WO36 (36x36) both ways and choose to attach the lid vs. turning it over on the carpet. My floor has real thin carpet (heavy rubber backing) and below that is concert so there is no tactical transfer to the floor. You room might be better suited for the non-lid set up especially if you are looking for tactical response. My WO410 or the WO36 would not really play down past 20Hz but the punch at 30/40/50Hz was exactly what my system needed. You might want to try to blend the two together using the 12” for low end and the WO for punch. As far as crossing it over at 25Hz I would prolly just turn crossover down to 40Hz (plate amp) and let the WO go from there. It is really up to you to decide what sounds best for your set up. Just my two cents hope it helps.

HT-EXT

" I TRY TO THINK BUT NUT'EN HAPPENS! " CURLY
  IP Logged
tizman
Verified Member

Re: W.O. almost finished listening test
Reply #2 - 03/11/12 at 12:13:04

Thanks for your quick response HT-EXT.  I'm going to try it with the lid.  I can always unscrew it if I like it better without.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print