03/28/24 at 09:33:07 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
MK III arrives (Read 719 times)
KimKman
Ex Member

MK III arrives
02/23/12 at 20:46:10

Long wait, 12 weeks, but worth it.  After getting all up to room temperature I pulled the tubes from my MK II and placed them in the MK III, added the additional OC2's and fired up.

Was a little concerned using Bendix 5Y3WGTA's in place of the stock 5U4G's supplied. After about 30 seconds the OA3's lite up and all was well. Slight pop as they did that was not present with the MK II. Barely audible though.

Well I know things will improve from go but to be honest I am happy with go. My Von S... VR4's seem to like the low end control quite well.

I am happy with the upgrade so far and the investment.  I do not believe I will be parting with my MK II though. Will play with it on some other installs my swapping out the miniTorii in the office for a while.

Note on low end.  Before using the original MK II in my system I had VTL MB450 mono blocks. The low end on these amps were out of this world. However everything else my new MK II trumped.  Hmm, I am thinking I now have that MB450 low end back with the addition of all the MK series supplies.  Still have the 450's but they have not seen AC for a while. Pretty much the same comparison with a set of Bryston new series mono blocks although the Bryston did not rival the MB450

Anyway I am a happy camper and happy with my continued relationship with Decware. Exceptional value for my investment.

Torii MK III #201
VCaps
Stepped Volume

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: MK III arrives
Reply #1 - 02/23/12 at 22:03:57

Alright! So glad it arrived. It only gets better! I too have a Mk II and a Mk III and it would be so so hard to let go of the Mk II. They're both such wonderful machines!

Keep us informed. You're going to really enjoy the Mk III!

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
KimKman
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 02/24/12 at 03:31:36

Thanks Lon. FYI the PS PWD MkII couples great. Notable difference.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 02/24/12 at 03:40:16

Thanks. I'm hoping to have the upgrade this year. I read such good things!

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 02/24/12 at 06:42:45

KimKman, I have some beautiful Bendix 5Y3s and what a great sounding tube. But if you want to dig deeper into the MkIII bass and dynamics, along with some sweet, open mids and highs, you may find  playing with some nice 5U4GB's worth it. Have fun!

Will

All Modified: Balanced Transformer-DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender-RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro-ZBIT-CSP3-OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV, Simple Wave 300B-HR1/SVS Micro3000sub-Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
KimKman
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 02/24/12 at 09:04:43

Thanks for the tip Will. I think I may give it a go. Also eager to try those JJ's out in the MKII office setup. Putting all the new tubes that came with the MKIII in the MKII for some fun. That is if I can ever pull myself away from this MKIII to do some work.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 02/24/12 at 16:29:07

KimKman,

Check this out. A great deal for real NOS. To me Sylvanias are the bargain out there now. Though I don't have this particular pair, I like the tall bottle Sylvanias I do have a lot. Sweetly open with a slight richness.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pair-Sylvania-5U4GB-Rectifier-Tubes-Black-Plates-Matched...

And though you have probably read about the JJ 6CA7s, they are real long burnin tubes, but worth it in the end! Patience required, but after the slow progression, you just realize they sound really good!

All Modified: Balanced Transformer-DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender-RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro-ZBIT-CSP3-OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV, Simple Wave 300B-HR1/SVS Micro3000sub-Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print