Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 14:10:04 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Most solid state like sounding tubes (Read 21279 times)
iseijin
Ex Member

Most solid state like sounding tubes
02/18/12 at 21:25:00

Hi everyone.

What are the most solid-state like sounding tubes in the CSP2+?

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Re: Most solid state like sounding tubes
Reply #1 - 02/19/12 at 14:13:16

You should look through the threads here. I suspect that the 6922 ECC88 are more clinical than the "warm" 6N1P.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
iseijin
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 02/19/12 at 22:28:40

Yes, the 6922 is surely more solid state like soudning than the 6N1P. I have thesse tubes plus the stock rectifier. But what about other tubes? Particularly the rectifier one?

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 02/19/12 at 23:25:53

You need to get that stock rectifier the hell out of there! Try an RCA, GE or Sylvania or Raytheon 5U4G or 5U4GB. The GB version is straight-sided, made with a little more juice, for television sets. I personally prefer the coke bottle look, despite a difference in performance.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4 - 02/20/12 at 00:07:04

Ironically, I think the stock rectifier sounds more solid state than many alternatives. . . .

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
CRESCENDOPOWER
Verified Member

Reply #5 - 02/22/12 at 16:21:28

"Ironically, I think the stock rectifier sounds more solid state than many alternatives. . . ."

Ladies, and gentleman we have a winner!  8-)

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6 - 02/22/12 at 16:28:50

:D

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
iseijin
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 02/22/12 at 17:54:39

Maybe then I should clarify:

What I'm after is not really a more solid state like sound.
The CSP2+ is certainly a very good amplifier, but there are things that sound better through my 150 Dollar soundcard output. When I switched from soundcard to CSP2+ and DAC, especially the sound of piano notes was missing something in the dynamics. It is this what I'm trying to regain.

What are your tube recommendations for dynamic piano sound?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #8 - 02/22/12 at 19:30:37

Are you using a 5YGT? I use an RCA and it has a more detailed sound, more towards solid state than the classic tube sound.

But using a 5U4GB tube type gives the amp a more classic tube sound which to my estimation includes a more resonant sound, longer decay, which may be what you're looking for. I use an RCA.

I used the 5U4GB quite effectively with the Torii Mk III and the 5YGT works best with the Torii Mk II. (For me, in my system).

IP Logged
iseijin
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 02/22/12 at 19:40:45

I suppose you meant '5Y3GT'?

I believe what I miss in the sound has to do with the rounder tones of the CSP2. So I'll try a 5Y3** some time in the future.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #10 - 02/22/12 at 20:00:55

Yes, sorry I missed a number.

IP Logged
Jeffreyc
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 02/24/12 at 02:12:25

Mazda 5Y3GB sounds the most solid state to me. I could barely differentiate the headphone out of my CSP2+ with that of my CDP with this and cryo'd EH 6922s in.

Tungsol 5Y3GT sounds almost as detailed, with more bass and better dynamics.
Visseaux 5Y3 added to these qualities with a slightly more forward presentation and more bloom. The Tungsol and Visseaux elevated the performance of my CSP2+ above that of my CDP's headphone jack.

Bendix 6106 was a little slow and murky in comparison to all three.

The stock 5U4 sounds great on classical, but it doesn't expose as much space between instruments as the better 5Y3's, and the way it balloons out images on jazz and vocal recordings is a little too distracting for me. Too tubey. 

IP Logged
CRESCENDOPOWER
Verified Member

Reply #12 - 02/24/12 at 15:03:11

iseijin,

Are you using the CSP 2 with headphones, or in a loudspeaker system? What speakers, or headphones are you using?

IP Logged
iseijin
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 02/24/12 at 15:11:41

I'm using it with the K701 headphones and soon either with the T1 or HD800.

IP Logged
CRESCENDOPOWER
Verified Member

Reply #14 - 02/24/12 at 15:27:40

The CSP 2+ will probably sound better with higher impedance phones like the T1, or HD 800. In the mean time try to get a Sovtek 5y3gt, or maybe ask Steve if a solid state rectifier plugin can be used.

IP Logged
Jeffreyc
Ex Member

Reply #15 - 02/24/12 at 23:59:23

My initial comparisons were with Audio-Technica ATH-M30's, which are 65 ohms. They aren't very resistant, but CSP2+ nonetheless gave me sound equivalent to or better than the solid state output with the good rectifiers. The better 5Y3s really have a huge effect.

Later comparisons with my Magnepan MMGs gave me a much better sense of the tube's effects on transient speed, image size and soundstage, since the M30s are closed and among the more closed sounding closed cans. I would think Magnepans and K701s would be pretty similar sounding overall.

Another thing to consider is the driver tube. The 6N1P's sound great in back, but mine stretched out the images a little too much vertically when in the front driver position. A single EH6922 brought things back into balance for me.  

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print