Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 21:37:59 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ordered my Zenhead yesterday (Read 10462 times)
deucekazoo
Seasoned Member

Ordered my Zenhead yesterday
02/03/12 at 14:00:51

Kind of figured out that I listen to more music at work than I do at home. So bought the Zenhead to start a work system. I think I have the headphones picked out also. I am looking at getting the Denon AH-D5000. These will be my first real headphones. Let me know what you guys think about that combo. The source will be a PC with all my music converted to WAV files on a portable drive.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Ordered my Zenhead yesterday
Reply #1 - 02/03/12 at 15:21:58

I bet you're going to be happy having a high quality headphone amp to power your headphones at work. I'm not much of a headphone user at all, but I do trust that Steve's amp will be a winner, I've read nothing but good reports of it, and especially telling is that it has been well received by persons who don't know Decware otherwise and who aren't tube amp users.

I'm sure Greg or Jim or others here will give you good input on this set-up and please keep us posted!

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
deucekazoo
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 02/06/12 at 14:39:59

Lon,
I will keep you guys posted. I was never a headphone user either but that is the only way to listen at work. Too many people too close that I don't want to disturb. Also music makes the day go faster and makes me more productive.  :)
Can't wait to get this thing to see what it sounds like. I feel like a kid at Christmas.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 02/06/12 at 15:30:25

I hear you about the only way to listen at work. And listening makes the day go by quicker. My last few years of work though I went without listening to music as I found it was NOT helping me to be productive. It was distracting me. . . I didn't enjoy my work that much, and would find myself just listening. Smiley So I did without. It sure made me love my listening when I was able to at home!

Looking forward to your receiving the machine and your impressions!

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
deucekazoo
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 02/07/12 at 14:07:51

Well last night I went through my drawer of transformers from every electronic device I have ever owned. I found a 9v 300mA one that should work just fine. This will be on the desk most of the time so really don't need it portable and don't want to replace the battery all the time. So the idea was to add a port on the side of the battery cover so I can just plug this in but still have enough room to add the battery back in if I need it portable. Not sure how much room I will have to work with. If that will not work I will just cut a little slot on the edge of the cover so the wire could pass through and just connect to the battery connector. I will figure this out once I get it.

IP Logged
deucekazoo
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 02/21/12 at 16:28:43

Picked it up last Friday. Nice little unit. Smaller than I though it would be. Worked on the power supply over the weekend. I had a transformer ready but when i checked it to make sure I had the right connections the voltage was higher than I wanted to see. It was to have 9v output but had 17v. Checked another one and the same thing. I was not happy with that because this little unit is too expensive to fry on a cheap power supply. But then found another power supply I had laying around that you can pick the voltage on. Set that to 9v and guess what? It's output is 9.4v which is more like it. Well it makes sence because that one is regulated. So ran it all day at work yesterday. I will not comment on the sound yet because I am still using my old headphones, which are wireless. I have to wait for my new headphone to be made. That will be another two weeks. I was going to go with the Denons but then found another pair that I think I will like more. I will post pics when they arrive. Then I will also post a review of the amp.

John

IP Logged
deucekazoo
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 06/20/12 at 20:37:45

So it has been a while but received my new headphones yesterday. These things sound great and the little Zenhead is great. I love the flexibility. Those little switches inside tailor the sound to my liking. I need more hours with this combo to see if the headphones will break in but right now I am one happy person.

These are the Fostex T50RP headphones modified by Gary Butcher (smeggs). The wood is Padauk.

2012-06-19_07_20_54.jpg
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print