Bi-wiring the DM945's (Read 8196 times)
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Bi-wiring the DM945's
01/28/12 at 02:42:44

Hi!  Has anybody tried to bi-wire (not bi-amp) the DM945's?  Any tangible  advantages?  So far my experience has been with bi-amping non-Decware speakers and amps with good success.  I've never tried bi-wiring alone though, so I'm curious whether I should try that configuration when my DM speakers arrive.

I always thought bi-wiring per se was not useful, as it just by-passes the binding bridge, which should not make much difference (unless the bridge material/design is not a good conductor.)

Any comments will be appreciated.

Toshiba-Foobar2K-ASIO Direct-WD 2.0Tb HDD-Schiit USB cable-Schiit Yggdrasil DAC-Decware Silver Ref IC's-Decware Mini Torii SE-8PR Kimber Kable spkr cbls-Decware DM945's-Tekton Lore 2-Velodyne DLS 3500 SUB-BJC SUB Cbls-Tripp Lite 500 Isolation Trnsf-Jellyfish S
  IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Re: Bi-wiring the DM945's
Reply #1 - 01/29/12 at 18:57:21

In view of the excessive number of replies to this request, let me just quote a study I found which was set to check if there are bi-wiring benefits in general:

Conclusions
Some speakers may benefit from bi-wiring, particularly those which have a tweeter with a higher impedance than the woofer. Also, IF resonance in cables is audible through some secondary mechanism, biwiring may reduce this by creating an unbalanced transmission-line that will tend to damp the resonance

In order to ascertain that bi-wiring would be beneficial in my case (DM945's), I need to ask this forum what the tweeter (ribbon) and woofer (transducer) independent load impedances are.  We know the overall nominal load impedance of the speakers is 4 Ohms.  This may be a compounded average of the independent load impedances of tweeter and woofer, with the tweeter's usually being higher than the woofer's.

Here's the ref on the study mentioned, which I found very well structured:

http://www.empiricalaudio.com/computer-audio/audio-faqs/bi-wiring-speaker-cables...

Thanks ...

Toshiba-Foobar2K-ASIO Direct-WD 2.0Tb HDD-Schiit USB cable-Schiit Yggdrasil DAC-Decware Silver Ref IC's-Decware Mini Torii SE-8PR Kimber Kable spkr cbls-Decware DM945's-Tekton Lore 2-Velodyne DLS 3500 SUB-BJC SUB Cbls-Tripp Lite 500 Isolation Trnsf-Jellyfish S
  IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Reply #2 - 01/29/12 at 23:56:58

FB,

If you order the 4 ohm version, then yes your woofers impedance would nominally be 4 ohm. The tweeter is a 5 ohm load, which is a  resistive  impedance in its frequency range.

Never tried bi wiring a pair, so i couldn't help you with that.

Zygi

All Decware amps and sources, Turning Point Audio speakers
  IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #3 - 01/30/12 at 01:25:59

Hi Zigy! When I spoke to Steve he said the DM945's were 4 Ohms.  I guess that's the default spec unless you ask for them to be wired at 8 Ohms.

Thanks for the information confirming a typical higher load impedance on the tweeters, relative to the woofers.  According to this study then, there are benefits in bi-wiring the DM945's.  If you're interested in the benefits, check them out in the article I linked in my previous post.

My current SS setting is bi-wired by the designer, so I have double cabling and I'm kind of used to it (the setup is bi-amplified, BTW).

In any event, I think I'm going to test both arrangements and decide with my ears.  Thanks again and take care ...

IP Logged
novice ear
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 02/27/16 at 15:53:47

Fireblade:  Did you every decide if you preferred bi-wired or single?

ZKIT60
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print