Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/18/24 at 13:14:20 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Mini Torii's best iddle-time power status strategy (Read 26513 times)
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Mini Torii's best iddle-time power status strategy
01/23/12 at 16:40:57

Hi! I thought I would ask proud owners of the Mini Torii how you go about the power status of your amp during iddle time.  Do you keep it on stand by? Off? On?  How long before you start listening again do you power it on?

I checked the owner's manual on line but there's not a straight answer to this question.  If I've missed an existing thread discussing this very topic I apologize.

Thanks for your support.

Toshiba-Foobar2K-ASIO Direct-WD 2.0Tb HDD-Schiit USB cable-Schiit Yggdrasil DAC-Decware Silver Ref IC's-Decware Mini Torii SE-8PR Kimber Kable spkr cbls-Decware DM945's-Tekton Lore 2-Velodyne DLS 3500 SUB-BJC SUB Cbls-Tripp Lite 500 Isolation Trnsf-Jellyfish S
  IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Re: Mini Torii's best iddle-time power status strategy
Reply #1 - 01/23/12 at 19:08:06

Fireblade...

To my knowledge, the Mini Torii doesn't have a standby switch. Maybe this is why is there isn't a straight forward answer to the question. I know my unit does not have a standby switch...it is the very first one ever built my volume controls, are my on/off switches. But I'm sure that none of them have standby.

I leave it on most of the day, if I know there might be a chance I can back to listening. Sometimes I've left it on all night. I've also turned it on and off as much as ten times with in an hour with no ill effects.

Bullet proof as always.....

Zygi

All Decware amps and sources, Turning Point Audio speakers
  IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #2 - 01/23/12 at 19:36:53

Thanks, ZIGY.  I ask because I just remembered with my VTL 225 Deluxe monoblocks I had to turn them on about an hour before being able to start listening, as by then they were warm enough for their best amplification.  As I recall, they also had a standby state switch which was on all the iddle time (kept the circuits ready for operation and prevented humidity problems).

Also, I could not leave them powered on indefinitely because the heat was significant (too many EL34 tubes, in a 225 W/c Push-Pull arrangement).  It is understandable that a low power unit like the Mini would not create heating or energy-wasting problems.

Take care now ...

Toshiba-Foobar2K-ASIO Direct-WD 2.0Tb HDD-Schiit USB cable-Schiit Yggdrasil DAC-Decware Silver Ref IC's-Decware Mini Torii SE-8PR Kimber Kable spkr cbls-Decware DM945's-Tekton Lore 2-Velodyne DLS 3500 SUB-BJC SUB Cbls-Tripp Lite 500 Isolation Trnsf-Jellyfish S
  IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #3 - 01/23/12 at 19:38:38

I'm sorry I mispelled your forum name, ZYGI.

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 01/23/12 at 22:54:03

I am told it takes 20 minutes for the MINI TORII to sound its best, but I don't notice. Mine sounds great to me right after the tubes light up.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Reply #5 - 01/24/12 at 01:05:23

Fireblade...No problem on the spelling, I get that all the time. My actual name on the forum, the name in which I sign in under is actually Ziggy but shows up as Zygi. I changed it after my dad passed, when I found out that was how he spelled his nick name. I guess growing up, I had never noticed.

My little 12 watt Torii can heat a room nicely in winter, and it sounds so good while while I enjoy the music and the warmth.

With either of my Torii's, as soon as they start making music, its good. Sure it might get better after an hour or so, but it still sounds great the first five minutes.

I had a ZSLA line stage Steve sold a few years back, when the wife and I bought a new house, and I got the stereo hooked up, I turned on the line stage and it remained on for nearly six years., Then when we moved to NC I packed it up and it has been packed for almost 5 years now. I should get it out and try it again.

Zygi

IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #6 - 01/24/12 at 01:16:08

It's good to hear, Rivieraranch, thanks.  One less issue to consider!  

May I ask you, what do you think would be better for classical orchestral music (i.e., symphonies, concerts, etc.), as well as classic 50's & 60's jazz listening preferences, a SEP like the Mini or a SET like the SE34i.3?

By what I've been able to gather so far, conceptually, the Mini should get the upper hand in said musical scenarios (bass and slam), whereas the integrated (SET) would excell in more acoustical jazz and classical chamber music, for example (more detail at mid to high ranges).

It's similar to opposing spectra from an equalizer.  I know Steve's design on the Mini has managed to get sort of the best out of both worlds, or at least that's what transpires from the literature in the site.  But with the advent of the revised SE34i.3, I wonder.

Just your opinion, please.  Even if you have not had the SE34i ever, I'm sure you have already conceived an idea about those two topologies in general, from the point of view of a Decware user (Mini and other).

I'm sorry if I'm imposing on you, but I need to know this before I try to swap my Mini order (pending for delivery) for a SE34i.3 order (if Steve suggests, of course).  And I thought my decisions were all covered ... Ha!

Take care now, thanks ...

IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #7 - 01/24/12 at 01:39:40

Hey Ziggy, thanks for sharing that.  I lived four and a half years in NC myself (Chapel Hill).  Nice place!  Where I live now, though, we don't need any more heat, actually.  So I guess it's good that the Mini Torii is relatively low heat producing (low power).

I understand preamplifiers (line stages) are relatively simple circuits, so there's not much heat creation.  Their tubes also tend to last much longer than amps', so I'm not surprised with your experience, especially being Decware.

Take care now ...

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 01/24/12 at 03:39:49

It seems that the news of the updated SE34I.3 has rekindled the lust for one. But you were chasing specs in the beginning, perhaps.

I believe that since then, you have thought it out thoroughly. The SET design has its allure with its unique reproduction of simple music, while the SEP handles more complex music better.  If I were in your position, I would still tilt towards the MINI.

I have a ZEN amplifier, which when paired with the TRAPEZIUM speakers really shines. However, the ZEN can occasionally run out of steam. But not in my office setup. The demand for volume is not there in that setting.

My MINI TORII at home has never run out of steam on anything. Not on my Bernard Hermann soundtracks, not on "Carmen" or RCA Living Stereo classical discs. I find you have to hold the volume down because it can get too loud. Even at lower volumes the detail is still there.

Don't forget the advantages of tube regulation. The MINI has it, but the new SE34I.3 will not - unless something changes. The tube regulation cleans up the power and enhances the sonic capabilities.

You can speak to DECKERT about this again and you should; but I suspect that his advice for the MINI will remain the same; it is too good.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Mini Torii's best iddle-time power status stra
Reply #9 - 01/24/12 at 11:57:45

I'm going to stand up for the Integrated a bit. It's unfair to infer that because the little Zen runs out of steam that the Integrated will, there's a big difference in those two amps and not only in power output. The .2 version of the Integrated had its fair share of bass slam and dynamics and I played classical music of all stripes on it with satisfaction. The only time I really ran out of steam was in a rather large room and with a very low voltage source, and with HR-1s which are not as db efficient as FB's speakers.

I love my Torii very much. I will say however that there is something in the SET (or perhaps the way Steve had it wired it's better to say "SE Psuedo-Triode") sound that I'd really rather have if I could also have enough power. Ultimately I chose my speakers (especially the fantastic ERR) over the amp. . . . If an Integrated could handle the ERRs in this larger room with lots of headroom, I'd have the Integrated instead just for that extra single-ended magic.

Anyway FB you can't go wrong with any of these amps as long as your speakers are happy. And I'm not sure there'd be an appreciable difference between the Integrated and the Mini in that manner. Steve is your best source of real comparisions.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #10 - 01/24/12 at 13:54:22

Hi guys, thanks so much for your kind assistance.  

I reckon both of you have brought to the table very valid arguments.  Rivieraranch reflects it's appreciation for the dynamic/bass characteristics of the Mini, whereas Lon remembers the special, typical Triode sound on the Integrated.

IMHO, the power issue is not an argument anymore, though, as the Integrated has 5.8 W/c at 4 Ohms.  Granted, not being powered by beam tubes it may not behave as dynamically as the Mini, regardless of the absolute power.

So there we have it, the eternal dichotomy: The unique sound of a SET vs the dynamics of a SEP.  The problem compounds itself if you factor in my delight for both types of music, for the same reasons.  Nothing like a well played cello piece and nothing with the martial force of Beethoven's symphonies.  Different styles, both amazingly thrilling!

I guess the point brought by Rivieraranch may be crucial:  Power regulation stages.  I'm in no position to invest in a PS Audio regeneration plant, so an isolation transformer will have to do.  Therefore, voltage regulation in series (working as as a filter, in Steve's Mini design) may make an important difference.

I suspect this is the way Steve is thinking about it, as he stressed that out to me when we talked over the phone last time.  Evidently, with a PS Audio plant (for the Integrated), both amps are at the same sonic levels due to the Lucid Mode, but that is a condition I won't be able to meet anytime soon (I'd rather get the Torii MK III for that kind of money).

So, I'm going in a circle and getting back to my senses again, I guess.  I really appreciate your ideas, as these have proven invaluable to help me get the overview back again.  I apologize for the bother.  Take good care now ...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #11 - 01/24/12 at 14:05:25

I don't know what makes you feel that a Decware SET Integrated lacks bass and dynamics. They don't.

But I don't think you'll find bass and dynamics lacking with the .3, I'd be very surprised if it's any different in that regard to the .2.

Also, I think this "cleansing" of the power is a bit over-stated. I really haven't noticed it to be that big an improvement, the real improvement is in altering the sound via tube-rolling in these points of the circuit, which may or may not be a good thing. I hate spending half of my time looking for tubes and playing around with tubes. I personally feel that the Toriis I have with the "cleaning" power regulation still benefit greatly from power conditioning and IMO weren't significantly different in this regard to the Integrated. I had both without power regeneration. And on top of that, the .3 may have the same "cleaning" regulation.

I won't say any more about it. I'll recommend another conversation with Steve and bow out of it.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #12 - 01/24/12 at 14:14:01

Oh, I agree it may be the case.  The point I'm making, though, is that dirty power from the mains really affects the sound, imparting grainy textures, as this was indeed stressed by Steve last time.  He said literally: Without a PS Audio Plant I would not recommend the SE34i.2 these days.

Nothing has changed with the Integrated in this sense, as no voltage regulation mods have been listed in Steve's description of the new amp.  So I had forgotten this point which I feel is crucial in my case.

Your point is well taken, though.  I'm sure the Integrated coupled with the PS Audio would make one hell of an amp.  Thanks, Lon.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #13 - 01/24/12 at 14:19:04

My point is I had the Integrated with an isolation transformer and it was a helluvan amp. I don't know why Steve is stressing what he was stressing, but it's not an absolute necessity for the .2, I owned one for a few years, used it for some time as my main amp in my house with really shitty power coming out of the wall.

Anyway, I'm out of the discussion.

IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #14 - 01/24/12 at 14:21:33

I've also asked Sarah by eMail, as a favor, to ask Steve to reconsider his original suggestion and confirm it, or else to suggest the new amp.  I'm waiting for her reply.  Thanks for your interest, Lon.  I really appreciate it.

IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #15 - 01/24/12 at 14:33:41

Yeah, it's curious why he would stress that power issue so much when we talked.  At the time, the Integrated was not an option (until spring), so the only other viable alternative in my particular case was the Mini Torii (as it is a wonderful piece in its own right.)

I also remember he did not endorse the Zen Triode too much, even when I talked about bridging into monos.  For some reason, he was not going along that line of thought.  Maybe classical music is considered a tough challenge for the Zen Triodes, or something?

Please don't stay out of the discussion, Lon, as having had first hand experience with the SE34i.2 your points are very valid indeed.  Thanks ...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #16 - 01/24/12 at 14:36:40

Alright, thanks. I don't quite get the now sudden "necessity" of a power regeneration item with any amp, this is unprecedented talk from Steve, not at all what he's been saying here in the forum. And as I say, all the amps benefit from one, but in my experience the difference with the power regulation onboard in the amp is not that significant that the benefits of power regulation are less pronounced, etc. It would be great if Steve had some sort of new thinking along these lines to spell it out, but I'd understand if he didn't. And as with everything with audio of this quality there are so many variables, e.g. I use some amazing power cords on my amps that may ben doing power filtering of their own etc. The head dizzies trying to consider all possibilities.

It's just that I think the Integrated is an amazing amp, I miss mine, and it was my amp in use when I was beginning to really be seduced by classical music. . . so I think it's a good mate for that genre. So I'm speaking out of passion for that amp. I think the new one will be really great! In time I might replace the Torii Mk II in my bedroom system with one, if my econcomic world improves.

IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #17 - 01/24/12 at 15:14:48

It's interesting to note how you would consider trading what is supposed to be the pinnacle in Steve's line-up, for the SET integrated.  

I guess initially even purists eventually accept the need to trade Triode character for dynamics and power, out of physical (dimensional) necessity.

And yet, that Triode experience remains a dear memory, a sense of loss that is somehow revived by the possibilities of new developments in the Triode arena.

IMHO, Steve's aim at trying to get the best out of these two extreme design compromises is still very much alive in his current approach.  Torii and Mini Torii designs are vivid examples of this effort.

I'm curious why, if he recently considers the voltage regulation so important, he did not include it as a logical upgrade in the new Integrated design.  Somewhat contradictory, isn't it?  Maybe is a matter of keeping costs down and being able to offer an in-between market choice.  But then again, why are his comments about power regulation so emphatic?

Another puzzle here is the hike in price for the Mini Torii while at the same time keeping the Integrated at same price levels in spite of the upgrades.  Furthermore, he stressed a sonic parity between the two, making the Mini less of an appealing choice.  I just wonder ...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #18 - 01/24/12 at 15:23:31

Note: I said Torii Mk II. Which is NOT the Mk III, not the current "pinnacle."* In my second system, a bedroom system, I don't anticipate ever needing the power that I do for the living-room/dining-room system, and so I can entertain the Integrated as an option. I'm not replacing "the pinnacle" in my main system, but the Mk II (one less power regulation stage, no bias adjustment and a few other differences) that was once a Mk I but upgraded by Steve. Big difference than wanting to replace the Mk III in my main system. Don't see that happening.

Also, I object to "Triode character dynamics and power" or at least what I think you infer or understand by that. Power limitations, okay, but within usable power ranges dynamics are not compromised in my experience with the Integrated. So that if you don't need the extra power, dynamics are not some sort of issue.  One other thing to consider: Steve's SETs are not "typical" in sound or design to other SET amps. And iirc, the Integrated .2 is wired in what Steve calls "pseudo-triode," not the usual way to wire an EL34 etc . in triode mode. A move towards pentode elements in the configuration.

Also my "triode memory" isn't old or stale. I listened to my Decware SE34 Monoblocks last week, just to be sure that they were all they should be before they went on their way to their new owner, Jim (thanks Jim!). And they were in my second system for a considerable part of last year, as was my Integrated before I sent it off to a new owner. Yes, on top of years of listening memory to four different Decware SET amps--and I've spent a lot more time with the SETs than the Toriis overall) there's recent, fresh memory and experience.

Anyway, other than to clarify a misrepresentation, I'll step back as I've said enough. Best of luck in your decision, at least when you hear from Steve you'll make an informed one.

* Some may say the "pinnacle" is the Zen Monoblocks!

IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #19 - 01/24/12 at 17:37:15

I stand corrected, Lon, thanks.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #20 - 01/24/12 at 17:40:19

Cool. Feeling a little passionate about Decware today, sorry. Going for a ride before the next rainstorm. Peace and have a good one.

IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Reply #21 - 01/24/12 at 22:31:31

Lon,

Just to clear something up....There was no MK-I Torii, but the first generation Torii which was the blue chassis, just like the SE34-I and 2. Your Torii-II was always a Torii-MKII but Steve upgraded it to the current production MK-II as it's serial number was 000. Yes the first one ever built which is usually the one Steve keeps for himself

I have the blue Torii, the first generation which is serial number 000, which I will never part with.

Zygi

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22 - 01/24/12 at 22:33:31

Thanks Bob. I knew that just somehow this morning that didn't come out right.

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #23 - 01/24/12 at 22:49:27

Anybody who thinks that the 0C2 tube regulation on the inputs in the MINI does nothing, just switch it off when you are listening to the amp and the difference is palpable.

55   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #24 - 01/24/12 at 23:05:36

Who said they did nothing? But I think it's a mistake to make its absence in any of the amps to be a reason to automatically not consider that amp.

Also, I have two amps that use them, and power conditioning still improves the sound of both. So it's not as if they're the ultimate and nothing further could improve.  . . .

IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Reply #25 - 01/24/12 at 23:50:35

Thanks Lon,

Glad you didn't think I was coming off as a butt head. I seem to have a lot of 'tude in my e-mails of late, hoping it wasn't rubbing off here as well.

Did you have a good ride between rains?

Sometimes I have switched my Mini Torii's VR switch off and have forgotten about it, sometimes for weeks. Never miss it until you realize its not there. If Steve has improved the SE34.3, then there may be no need for the regulation, in his opinion. I never thought the  2 needed it, but what if it did have it? He's probably tried it, may not have been worth the extra cost involved.

My Z-DAC and CD player both have Tubed Regulation, not switchable but its there.
Zygi

IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #26 - 01/25/12 at 01:36:32

I wonder if there's somebody from the forum with the skills to give us a brief on what these specs all mean.

I'm referring to the built-in tube voltage regulation, which I basically understand from Steve's explanation-definition, but not as it relates to the isolation transformer and to the eventual addition of a PS Audio (example) device.  I'm not calling it a power conditioner because unfortunately there has been plenty of abuse on this concept by less scrupulous merchants.)

I also would like to understand the essence about the Lucid Mode concept, beyond what's in the site.  I think it's an interesting concept but cannot interpret those diagrams yet.

I think Lon is right in ignoring the traditional Triode/Pentode norm when discussing Decware amp designs.  Like in everything else, there are tradeoffs involved and Steve seems to have the talent to choose the right combination.  

So his Triodes and Pentodes are not typical somehow, their respective designs gradually more oriented to a more common middle ground maybe, coming from those three extremes (3rd being the Push-Pull topography).  I think Steve is looking for THE optimal amp design, where all these biased tradeoffs converge into a unique family of optimal design parameters (not in conformance with any std norm).

This makes it harder to understand the on-going developments, choices.  Granted, we are supposed to enjoy the benefits from these designs, no need to discuss or analyse them, but I can't help trying to understand the big picture and those tradeoffs.

I guess it's just my nature and the fact that I'm enjoying a lot of free time lately.  I've been reading some general vacuum tube design literature, but it gets too technical for a non electrically trained person, and frankly I rather have the layman's version.

You know what?  I think the Decfest should include some kind of seminar to explain the big picture on Decware amps, from a technical point of view.  Don't you guys think?  I'm sorry for the extension of this probably very very boring message ...  I won't post for a while, ok?

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Re: Mini Torii's best idle-time power status strategy
Reply #27 - 01/25/12 at 02:13:38

Lon:

"But I think it's a mistake to make its absence in any of the amps to be a reason to automatically not consider that amp."

I agree. I would not go that far. All these amps are delightful; each in its own unique way.

55   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #28 - 01/25/12 at 03:08:33

Jim, yes, it's really interesting to me how they're each very versatile, but they each have a distinctive character. They're like different species, but each with over-lapping common features.

The wonderful and yet frustrating thing about them is they each allow you certain choices. The line has really blossomed with exciting options. Ultimately you have to provide any of them great power and the best possible source you can get your hands on. And outside of that the real heart of the matter, the real deciding factor is: what speaker are you going to use with them. I really think that rules the roost. Some of us fall in love with speakers in our rooms and one of these amps may work better than another with those speakers. And it's possible that more than one will, and then it's really hard to determine which one to choose. Barring an unusually difficult speaker to drive, almost anyone can find the right amp for their speaker, armed with enough dollars and with some real advice. The real advice comes from this forum, though the real resource is one of the reasons this forum is a bit different and interesting: we have Steve to call and to appear and give us direction.

FB, good points, and I think it's an organic evolving "thing" this Decware experience. Builder and listener learning, it's not all quite nailed down yet, but unfolding. Your questions and answers have been a positive part of the whole. We're all in this together. Wink

Bob, I managed to get out of the city and onto the road just a little bit, and back again before the rain hit. The roads weren't too bad and neither was the traffic. I've a new jacket this season, for the first time a real traditional motorcycle jacket, and today was the perfect day to wear it comfortably. We're due to get really cold soon, so I'm squeezing in little forays while I can.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print