Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/19/24 at 20:02:18 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Just how good is the ZP3? (Read 9130 times)
RedHotChilli
Ex Member

Just how good is the ZP3?
01/15/12 at 17:42:04

Okay - so I'll come clean: I ordered a ZP3 in November (still waiting for it) on the strength of how good the ZKIT1 I built was and some of the technical literature Steve has produced. A bit of a leap of faith I thought and I'm still wondering about it.
So could those of you with first hand experience let me know if it's as good as I hope? Wink
I use an Aesthetix Rhea at present but am getting frustrated with its noise and lack of involvement.

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Re: Just how good is the ZP3?
Reply #1 - 01/16/12 at 02:09:25

I understand that this unit is a top flight phono preamp for somebody who is heavily into vinyl. You don't hear much about it because I suspect that most everybody who has one is so satisfied with theirs.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
kingpin
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 01/16/12 at 21:20:09

I've had one now for just over a month and I'm really enjoying it.  Definitely prefer it to the RSA Nighthawk I had before.  I definitely recommend upgrading the tubes, especially the rectifier.  A Mullard GZ34 made a great improvement.  I'm still working on what other smaller tubes work best for my taste.  

If you prefer the sound of a tube phono stage with tube rectification (like I do) I don't know if you could find a better one anywhere near the price of a ZP3.

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 08/06/12 at 01:42:43

Good question. I purchased a pair of Siemans triple mica 12ax7`s & a 1950`s GEC 5u4 in anticipation and put them straight in. 2 months in and what I`m hearing is my deck/arm/cartridge.  If the ZP3/ZMC1 could talk to me it would say " You really like me dont you ? No buttons or dials to play with, just sit back and enjoy your vinyl." But in a while think about what I`ll sound like with a  more expensive cartridge and a couple more pairs of Styx i/c`s"                                                          In a word I would say it`s neutrally vibrant ( my cartridge ?), and more revealing as components play in more. John Martyn and JJ Cale really show what fine atmospheric recordings they made.  :) - syd

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 08/07/12 at 16:00:49

Sorry, not Siemans but Sylvania nos.

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5 - 09/05/12 at 13:44:12

I noticed today that Jeff of Tone Audio has ordered a ZP3. I hope that means well see another great Tone Audio review of a Decware product!

I'm so glad I ordered mine as I'm getting more and more into vinyl each day. I've discovered that early jazz from 1917 or so (the Original Dixieland Jazz Band recordings) through the swing era and the traditional jazz "revival" period seem in general to sound better on the best vinyl masterings than more than 90 percent of the cd masterings, and I'm concentrating on listening to those. They sound fantastic through my PS Audio  GCPH phono preamp, and I expect them to sound even more wonderful through the ZP3. I may have an even bigger problem leaving the house. . . Smiley

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print