Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 09:06:27 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Suggest a tube compliment for Von Schweikert VR-33 (Read 8895 times)
Gopher
Ex Member

Suggest a tube compliment for Von Schweikert VR-33
01/05/12 at 16:43:15

My Torii was making beautiful music with my Zu speakers and a compliment of Black Treasure 6ca7s, National 7dj8s, RCA 5u5g (50s), and the OD3 (I think, the purplish ones).

I just picked up a pair of Von Schweikert VR-33s as a possible lifestyle compatibility upgrade and while I can hear its a good speaker its lacking a certain quality the Zus had.

My presentation is a bit on the polite side and doesn't seem to have the same transparancy--especially in the upper mids/highs.  Shimmer/decay was better with my Zus.  I'm using the same basic tube compliment as noted above, but with HP branded Amperex 6dj8s in place of the Nationals.

I can hear they're a good speaker, but I want a more visceral, dynamic presentation--I also wouldn't mind a bit more texture, but need more openness on top.   The OA3s I bought on eBay suck and just make things harsh and edgy--now how others describe them.

Can anyone suggest some tube compliments that would go well with a smooth, somewhat polite full range speaker that I want to hit with an adrenaline shot (without losing emotion)?  

I don't want to necessarily spend a ton on this experiment and don't know if the speaker itself suits my need in terms of having that raw (vs. polite) sound, but I'm sure as heck open to suggestions that don't involve uber dollar tubes.  

I've got some JJ 6ca7s on hand and my Torii is fed by an Audion Premier preamp with some upgrade (Mundorf caps, etc) and outfitted with Amperex 7308 PQs (lovely).

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Re: Suggest a tube compliment for Von Schweikert VR-33
Reply #1 - 01/05/12 at 19:32:56

Gopher,

Your speaker looks beautiful. Not that this is not something you have thought of, but the first thing that occurs to me, is that it is a complicated set up with a big crossover board and many drivers. So more than just drivers (which is not insignificant) need to break in. My HR-1s took quite a while for the drivers to loosen up, and even with its simple and flow through crossovers, they too take time, the end result being a more dynamic, refined and flow through presentation.

Have your 6AC7s got a lot of hours.....say 150 or more. If so, in the context of the polite speaker, you may find the russian OA3s less offensive and they may punch things up in the areas you want. Alternately, a more refined, but clear OA3 is a Jan Sylvania ST 1981 from tubeworld. Very clean, but smoother, more refined, and better sound stage than the Russian, and pretty cheap. They should punch your dynamics up increasing the upper mids too with their increased push over OD3s.

But first, I would get on Ebay and try to fine some tall bottle Sylvania 5U4GB blackplates with an off center top hallow getter. The ones I have have orange letters on the base. They are probably a bit warmer than your STs but will give great texture and micro detail, especially waking up the mids/upper mids with spaciousness.

All Modified: Balanced Transformer-DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender-RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro-ZBIT-CSP3-OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV, Simple Wave 300B-HR1/SVS Micro3000sub-Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 01/05/12 at 20:10:12

PS:

Not having the Treasures or the OD3s you have, it is hard to advise. If the russian OA3 does what you want other than the edginess, the Jan Sylvanias are less edgy and might get you through burnin anyway.

If they play well in your system/room, I would be surprised if you did not like the Sylvania 5U4GB, your being a upper mid lucidity and texture guy.

I guess you tried placement too. Though your speakers are meant to rule out wall troubles, I would be amazed if positioning, even minor changes would not reduce the low mid/bass and bring out the mids.

All Modified: Balanced Transformer-DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender-RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro-ZBIT-CSP3-OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV, Simple Wave 300B-HR1/SVS Micro3000sub-Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #3 - 01/18/12 at 17:52:58

Gopher, I see you're selling your Torii. Like your VR-33's.....I wish the Torii could run my Polk SDA SRS 1.2's with the same vigor my SE84CS can run my Polk SDA 1's and my LS 90's. However, I do enjoy the Torii and I am going to audition some Zu's in Minneapolis this weekend for the Torii. I can't settle on one system. I need all three. I don't have a ton of space either.......but enough to accomodate:

SE84CS @ average listening level of 68 to 74db SPL......full emotion you mentioned and attachment to the music....I get here.

Torii....I hope with some ZU's

My Polk SDA SRS 1.2's need Solid State for the scale and the impact as I suspect your Von Swag's.....this model the VR33 needs. You give up some transparency, shimmer and decay.....but they are just damn fun. I can actually listen to Solid State again with these 1.2 Speakers and I have not even done any mods to them yet.

However, the SE84CS (Select since May of 2001) has absolutely ruined me, really for anything else and is my reference.

I hope your not selling your Zu's too and settling on one combination. IMHO their is no one combination that can do it all. So I will have these three systems......sometimes I have all three rigs on at once and do comparisons of a particular track.........fun!    -Stone

PS-that is a nice design of the VR-33.....being able to put up against the wall.

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Gopher
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 01/21/12 at 16:23:50

Stone,

Its weird that it doesn't do better with the VR-33s, but bass performance in particulary is bloaty and boomy and it just doesn't have an effortless feel.  Oddly, I'm using a Redgum integrated that I'm borrowing from a friend that only puts out 35 solid state, mosfet driven watts and its doing a fantastic job...     I don't get it, but unfortunately a move became necessary for the time being.

Zu speakers are fantastic.  I can't say enough good about them and I have a gigantic Zu Soul Superfly thread thats still somewhat active on the Audiogon forums.  

Which Zus are you auditioning?  My Soul Superflys are available and I could cut you a good deal.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #5 - 01/21/12 at 19:53:25

Gopher, I know what you mean. My SE84CS (original Decware Select) amp can run a couple pair of speakers I have with the Magic +air/major league transparency, tonal balance & timbre around everything. Eight + other pairs I have tried? No Magic.

I looked up the Redgum....that is a nice piece and you know it when you hear it.

So your Superfly's were a nice match with the Torii..... . I was going to listen to the Omen Bookshelf Speaker today. Unfortunately, I came down with a cold on Wednesday....so I am home bodying today. What are you asking for the Fly's?    -Stone

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #6 - 01/21/12 at 22:56:09

Ahhhh, Superfly's are tempting. I was looking on the gon' at a few. However, I have to hold off until September to audition Speakers for the Torii and currently have them matched with a pair that will do for now.

No complaints, my SE84CS is great with my SDA 1's in stereo only, just outside the nearfield I sit and I will still sub back in the LS90's now and then. SS Rotel is running my SDA SRS 1.2's. I will audition the Omen's bookshelf and floorstander in the Fall. I also want to check out Steve's Radial's and DNA Horn for the Torii 3.....road trip with my front end.  

Cheers, Stone

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Gopher
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 01/21/12 at 23:21:41

No worries.  Whether they're mine or someone else's, keep Zu on your list.  Very good loudspeakers and strong synergy with Decware

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print