Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 22:03:12 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
My new Taboo - just in time for Christmas! (Read 12168 times)
Don W

My new Taboo - just in time for Christmas!
12/24/11 at 00:09:08

Taboo with vcaps and headphone jack options. It was a long 3 months but it was worth the wait. What a nice Christmas present!

First impression is, like so many others have said, Wow! And to think Steve Deckert told me it wouldn't sound right until broken in especially with the vcaps.  I wonder what can improve.

My source is a home built PC serving MP3 and FLAC files to an Eastern Electric Mini-Max Plus DAC. No pre-amp. Not yet anyway... My headphones are Audeze LCD-2 and my speakers are Decware MG944s.

I also purchased the Decware interconnects and Decware speaker cables. The speaker wires weren't ready yet so I don't have them, making it difficult to judge the sound coming out of the speakers since the only wires I have are hardware store variety. I'm pretty certain, after experiencing the transparency of this amp, that I'll notice a significant improvement with the new wires.

As an amp for the Audeze LCD2 the Taboo is stunning. I have a Burson HA 160D and the Taboo is richer, fuller, more detailed, punchier and easier on the ears than the Burson. Kind of amazing to me. I actually discovered Decware when I started looking for alternatives to the Burson because I found it too bright for my ears. From the start, I found it difficult to listen to for extended periods especially when not focused 100% on the music, say if I was working at the computer. Well, the Taboo solves that issue and yet brings more punch and omph to the music.

The speakers are much better than with the old amp I was using. Without the Audeze headphones to compare to, I'd think they are great. But they don’t really compare to the sound coming out of Audeze. Like I mentioned above, I'm guessing I'll notice an improvement, maybe a big improvement, when the Decware speaker wires get here. I also think my speakers are not positioned great for sound. One is in front of a sliding glass door, which something tells me isn’t so good. But it is the lesser of two evils. I am going to have to move now so I can fully enjoy my stereo. No kidding.

I'll post an update after breaking this beast in for a good while.

Merry Christmas Decware! And Thank You!

Decware: Taboo, CSP2+, Mini-Torii, MG944, ERR, Zen Styx, DSR-II interconnects, DHC-1 power cables. Other: Audeze LCD-3 w/ Q cables, EE Mini-Max DAC Plus, Audio-gd SA-1 DAC, Audio-gd DI-DSP USB to Coaxial converter. Homemade PC with JRiver Media Center.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: My new Taboo - just in time for Christmas!
Reply #1 - 12/24/11 at 01:01:49

CONGRATS Don and I know you are going to have a great Xmas! Enjoy tha amp and keep us posted with your impressions.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 12/24/11 at 18:50:07

Congratulations and Merry Christmas. This is a real treat for you. It seems you have a good idea of how you'll use the TABOO with the headphones and speakers.

My suggestion for you would be to enjoy it for a while; then in a few months consider purchasing a CSP2+ to use with speakers. It will unlock or unleash the TABOO's full potential.

Then you may wish to experiment with a few different tube changes down the road - nothing too crazy.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 12/24/11 at 19:29:55

Congrats and Merry Christmas Don.

As a fellow Audez'e owner, I highly recommend a CSP2+ or ZSTAGE. As good as the Taboo is with the LCD-2 cans, the ZSTAGE improves that combo by non-trivial orders of magnitude.

1: PS Audio DirectStream | BHK Preamp & Monoblocks | Legacy Audio Aeris
2: MSB Select II | Custom T2 & Mjolnir Carbon CC | Stax SR-009 & 007
3: Lumin A1 | HeadAmp GS-X mk2 |Meze Empyrean & HEDDphone
4. Schiit Vidar | RAAL Requisite SR1a
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 12/24/11 at 20:18:13

On second thought, Pale is right. A ZSTAGE would serve you better than a CSP2+. You would not need another headphone amp since the TABOO already serves that purpose.

At DECFEST, I tried out a ZSTAGE with a little ZEN amp the ZSTAGE did real well with that amp, too.

The ZSTAGE can be more transparent along with the gain it delivers.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 12/25/11 at 12:08:30

Combo sure worked great for me, as does the Ultra+Taboo.

But the ZSATGE+Taboo bested my Cavalli Liquid Fire, and it is cheaper by more than a Benjamin or two.

Merry Christmas all!

1: PS Audio DirectStream | BHK Preamp & Monoblocks | Legacy Audio Aeris
2: MSB Select II | Custom T2 & Mjolnir Carbon CC | Stax SR-009 & 007
3: Lumin A1 | HeadAmp GS-X mk2 |Meze Empyrean & HEDDphone
4. Schiit Vidar | RAAL Requisite SR1a
  IP Logged
Don W

Reply #6 - 12/26/11 at 17:18:02

Well, if I had any doubt before about getting a pre-amp, you guys have convinced me. I'm curious now, as much as anything. But I do have my doubts about whether the Audeze can sound any better Smiley I have pretty much decided on the csp2+. It is optimized for a for a different type of headphone than the Taboo, so it makes sense to have them together. I'd listen to my Sennheiser 650's on it, and what ever else I might buy in the future which would pair well with it.

Decware: Taboo, CSP2+, Mini-Torii, MG944, ERR, Zen Styx, DSR-II interconnects, DHC-1 power cables. Other: Audeze LCD-3 w/ Q cables, EE Mini-Max DAC Plus, Audio-gd SA-1 DAC, Audio-gd DI-DSP USB to Coaxial converter. Homemade PC with JRiver Media Center.
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 12/27/11 at 00:11:56

After reading various accounts about people using the TABOO for headphones, I am sending mine back for the modification. It was made in September, 2010, right before DECWARE rolled out the headphone modification option.

55   IP Logged
Don W

Reply #8 - 01/14/12 at 21:20:15

My Decware speaker cables came in. These things are beasts! As stiff, or nearly, as the wire used to carry electricity throughout a house. They replace a pair of beefy old hardware store variety speaker wires and are connected to the Decware MG944 speakers. My impression is that the music seems a little bit louder, fuller with more punch. I no longer have the feeling that the speakers are a little weak or lacking something. It is like I'm more in the music. There are harmonics coming through, like a flavor or like a subtle background of new colors, which weren't there with the old wires. In general, the speakers seem to be more sensitive. They also are more revealing of the quality of the recording and its production. Well worth the investiment.

Now I'm just waiting for the CSP2+ I ordered to arrive. I can't wait to see what it has to offer. More of the same from what I understand.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9 - 01/14/12 at 21:47:09

Great! Those are wonderful cables, they'll sound even better in a month, and even better a month later.

Glad you're enjoying the system so much!

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
zen101
Verified Member

Reply #10 - 09/08/14 at 06:03:54

OK so which is better for LCD-3s.   Taboo MKII with ZStage or CSP2+ or CSP3?

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print