Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 13:16:30 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Torii mk3 vs Mini Torii: comparisons? (Read 8009 times)
Morganc

Torii mk3 vs Mini Torii: comparisons?
12/13/11 at 06:53:01

Hi Guys,
   I wanted to just touch base with you all and ask for comparisons for the Torii mk 3 vs. the Mini torii.   I had the mini torii and loved it.   The tone, timbre, accuracy were all top notch.  However, it was ot enough watts for my large room and the bass was also lacking.  Having said that, are there any generalizations between the two?   Is the Torii pretty much the same just more of it or are there significant differences?  
  Thanks so much guys in advance.
Cheers,
Morgan

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Re: Torii mk3 vs Mini Torii: comparisons?
Reply #1 - 12/13/11 at 12:34:49

Was your MINI TORII the one with buffalo nickel knobs? That was a nice one.

If you use the MINI with 6L6 or 6Y6 tubes it has plenty of bass. The 6V6 tube is most prominent in the midrange anyway.

Other than that I would not know much about the comparision. I have a MINI TORII but only heard a big TORII once at DECFEST.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Morganc

Reply #2 - 12/13/11 at 16:40:34

Yes, that is the one.  I did not try out any of the 6L6 tubes in it, but the midrange was definitely incredible.    Ultimately though, juat not enough headroom in my large space even with 101 dB speakers.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 12/13/11 at 17:30:15

I haven't heard the Mini-Torii, but do have a Torii Mk II and a Mk III. I've had a Rev. A amp, a Select, a set of SE34 Monoblocks and an Integrated SE34.2. The Toriis sound very similar in my estimation to the Select, with much more headroom. Where they differ is in focus. The Torii puts out a huge and resonant sound stage. The Select puts out a more focused image in a crisper sound stage. That's how I remember the differences.

I think you'd be very happy with a Torii and it should meet your loudness parameters.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 12/13/11 at 18:16:29

Morgan,

Sounds like you have a big room indeed since the Mini Torii was lacking power with your 101 efficiency speakers. I can't answer your comparison question either, but I can tell you that my Torii in my approximately 29 x 14 room (measurement not including small alcoves and  open segues to the dining area, kitchen and entry hall) is plenty powerful for music. And a notable aspect of that power seems to go to producing the a big and potent bass range when compared to the SE34.2+ I had which had quite a bit less bass wieght and depth in my room.

I use a 1.8v ZDAC pumped up a bit by running my Zstage in the half-half + range, and a 2.2 volt Tranquility DAC in front, and Ziegler HR-One speakers. I guess the HR-ONE efficiency is 93-94dB since they integrate the same drivers as the MG 944 with a radial driver balanced in. With this setup, I don't generally go past the 11-1 o'clock range on the Torii and I like to listen pretty loud. When I play some of those quiet DVDs however, I will sometimes bury the Torii volume and/or jack up the Zstage a bit. Way different than music for me.

Today I am running some 60s Mullard 6922s, early 50's RCA 5U4GBs with tall glass and no bottom mica, 50s Tungsol OB3s and cryo'd Ruby EL34 big bottle power tubes and I am getting amazingly real feeling and sounding bass and lucid midrange.

So I would guess you would be fine if the efficiency on your speakers is real, but if I were you and wanted a clear comparison of the Torii and its little brother, along with asking here, I would have a conversation with Steve Deckert. He has experience with loads of gear, music and rooms and could help you figure it out.

All Modified: Balanced Transformer-DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender-RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro-ZBIT-CSP3-OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV, Simple Wave 300B-HR1/SVS Micro3000sub-Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5 - 12/13/11 at 18:22:53

Yes, I agree with will, Steve's opinion and estimation is the one that counts!

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Morganc

Reply #6 - 12/14/11 at 02:00:08

Thanks guys...I have a Torii on order that should be shipping soon.   Just wanted to make sure of what i was doing.    I do know Gopher and trust his ears Smiley.  And I know 24 watts will be more than enough to power a concert for the neighborhood!

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 12/15/11 at 01:13:35

Hey Morgan.

The Torii's 25 watts/channel will very likely do what you want, but it would be good to confirm with Steve if you have any worries. If you haven't already spoken with him, you will find him easy to talk with. And he knows his stuff in a serious way. Equally important, he is major audio head himself wanting you to have the best possible musical experience. This is my experience anyway.

Also, I got to wondering about a 101 efficiency speaker. I guess you have heard good bass from your speakers.....seems many horns can be a little light in the low bass. I would say that if the bass can be brought out of a speaker though, the Torii should be able to do it!

Fun and games to come! Especially if you like tube play! With all those tube sets and the amazingly revealing circuits of the Torii, you can seriously tune to taste.

All Modified: Balanced Transformer-DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender-RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro-ZBIT-CSP3-OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV, Simple Wave 300B-HR1/SVS Micro3000sub-Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #8 - 12/16/11 at 12:44:32

Morgan, be sure to share your impressions. I think you're going to be very happy!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print