Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 23:05:34 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Breaking in a new CSP2+ (Read 7961 times)
slack
Verified Member

Breaking in a new CSP2+
11/08/11 at 03:49:56

Greetings!

I received my new CSP2+ a couple weeks ago now and have really been enjoying testing it out and getting familiar with it while it burns in.  I plan to make it the center piece of my headphone listening, but right now its in my bed room hooked up to my NAD C542 CD player, a pair of grados, and a NAD C372 amp (which I can use the csp2+ to bypass its built-in pre-amp.)

I have about 10 to 15 hours on the CSP2+ at this point, so I know I'm still well into the break-in period.  Some things sound completely wonderful and some things sound rather bright.  I have Archiv's collectors edition of Bach's organ works.  Helmut Walcha's artistry is divine but the '60s era recordings tend toward the bright side and bright they are on the CSP2+.  

Will the top end settle out a bit as I get more hours on the CSP2+?  

Jack Neely

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Re: Breaking in a new CSP2+
Reply #1 - 11/08/11 at 04:02:40

The amp is reproducing the recordings as they are. I would think they would remain "bright" if the original recording had that tendency. You may switch around some tubes if you encounter a lot of bright material. Perhaps a darker input tube would be in order when playing such works.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
slack
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 11/08/11 at 23:06:15

*nod*  Obviously I'm using the stock 6N1Ps.  There quite a few search results about various different tubes and how they sound.  Do you have a suggestion or two as to where I might start?

Thanks!
Jack Neely

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 11/08/11 at 23:22:36

I've tried almost every tube type imaginable in my CSP2. I really like the 6N1P, and if you don't need all the gain, and you can find some that are free of hum (sometimes a challenge), the 6N2P really works well.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 11/09/11 at 02:41:24

I was afraid you would ask what kind of tubes to try.  You could get an  Electro Harmonix 6922 or Sylvania 6922 to try in front. The driver tubes don't have as much influence on the sound.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
slack
Verified Member

Reply #5 - 11/09/11 at 04:11:57

Hah!  Of course that was going to be the next question.  I'm new to working with tubes and figuring out what directions to go in, so I appreciate the suggestions.

Jack

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print