Send Topic Print
Need advice!!! (Read 729 times)
KellyB

If you can't enjoy
the sound, it's just
noise!!!

Need advice!!!
11/04/11 at 14:47:27

I'm still not back in our house after the fire on July 3rd & I'm starting a new listening room(8.5'W x 16'L x 7'H) downstairs this weekend! Should I:

1. Reduce the length of the room?
2. Does the LEDE(Live End/Dead End) Theory have any merit(Audio magazine, Aug. 1987)? I also read about putting "river rock" on the entire front wall behind the speakers!
3. Insulation: what kind?(Roxul, fiberglass?)
4. How many separate electrical lines(breakers) should I put in(There is a small room under the stairs that I will put all my stereo equipment in)?

I have Decware RL-3 radial speakers & I will also have carpet w/pad put in! I greatly value any advice!!! Kelly

Decware SE84CS X 2 (CCE-mod); Decware RL-3s; Decware Interconnect cables; ZenStyx speaker cables; Stax CA-Z Preamp; Stax SR-X Mk III Earspeakers; Pro-ject 2.9 Wood TT; Soundsmith SMMC2 Cart.; JBL Sig. Series Loudspeakers(vintage, '70); etc.
  IP Logged
KellyB

If you can't enjoy
the sound, it's just
noise!!!

Re: Need advice!!!
Reply #1 - 11/05/11 at 14:19:42

I'm going to start putting 2" x 4" - 16" center walls up today! Please, anybody have some suggestions?

Decware SE84CS X 2 (CCE-mod); Decware RL-3s; Decware Interconnect cables; ZenStyx speaker cables; Stax CA-Z Preamp; Stax SR-X Mk III Earspeakers; Pro-ject 2.9 Wood TT; Soundsmith SMMC2 Cart.; JBL Sig. Series Loudspeakers(vintage, '70); etc.
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 11/08/11 at 05:15:04

Kelly, Exciting! Not having actually built a room, I can't advise based on experience, but I have benefited greatly from room treatment! Have you read Steve's papers on rooms? I find them very informative. I can't say that I have diligently adhered to these (not having a dedicated space, I have been working for relatively invisible treatments) but I do find these papers very useful in understanding the basis of sound in rooms and how to manipulate it so that it pleases you.

https://www.decware.com/paper14.htm
https://www.decware.com/paper36.htm
https://www.decware.com/paper39.htm

Seems that one 20 amp circuit would do for tube gear, but since you are starting over, why not run two dedicated lines from your circuit box? You could put one on one side and one on the other. A thought anyway~ Wink

All Modified: Balanced Transformer-DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender-RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro-ZBIT-CSP3-OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV, Simple Wave 300B-HR1/SVS Micro3000sub-Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
KellyB

If you can't enjoy
the sound, it's just
noise!!!

Reply #3 - 11/08/11 at 15:47:25

Thanks Will for the reply, I have read those articles & many others over the years & sometimes it's hard to know where to start or which to incorporate in to the total design!!! Like the idea of this type of tile(http://livemodern.com/forums/materialsmethods/ploneboardconversation.2006-11-21....) for diffusion or the tiles in the interrogation room on "Bones" TV show(don't know where to find them) for absorption!!!!

I bought some rock wool for insulation in the ceiling & behind the sheetrock on the walls, hope this is best!!! Does anybody know if it's better to have shorter speaker wires or longer I.C.s with two mono amps(I could put the amps next to the speakers & run longer ICs from the "control room")? The center of the front wall is less than 10-15ft. from the room under the stairs where the equipment(preamp, etc.) is! Thanks again for any info!!!

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 11/08/11 at 19:41:12

Decware makes diffuser kits and PI audio makes some cheap diffusion units that may be worth a look. Can't say how they work as I have not used them. We know how smart Steve Deckart is on this stuff, and Dave Elledge at PI Audio is a serious music head too, and I can attest to the quality of his Uber power filter and his power cables. Very good. The stone wall looks like a pretty difficult diffusion solution.

Rock wool seems to be one of the chosen sound absorbing materials so should help keep your sound room "contained."  If intense isolation from the rest of the house is critical, I guess you have seen what folks will do with offset stud walls that are vibrationally isolated, hanging ceiling structures, green glue for the sheetrock, and the like? With sheet rock interiors though, I guess you are planning bass traps and internal absorption within the sound room? I am of a mind to do the gross stuff first and go from there, but I may just be lazy and resistant. But I suppose there is merit to the flexibility of especially first reflection stuff. Like getting your bass traps sorted out during construction and then go from there based on sound preferences. The fact that you can do built in is a huge advantage though for visuals so you can build in diffusion and absorption, and hide big bass traps and all. Wow. Does make design important!

If it is about the sound, shorter seems better for ICs and less so for speaker cables as long as they are big enough to carry the sound with little loss. I see you have styx, and being 8 gauge and silver on copper, they are big cables. But then, if you can put the stuff closer to the speakers, and isolate it from vibration, shorter everything seems best.

It is hard to comment without knowing what you are doing and planning. I don't know, impossibly to say, but this could be part of why the big room heads have not chimed in.

Wink

All Modified: Balanced Transformer-DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender-RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro-ZBIT-CSP3-OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV, Simple Wave 300B-HR1/SVS Micro3000sub-Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
KellyB

If you can't enjoy
the sound, it's just
noise!!!

Reply #5 - 11/09/11 at 12:49:56

Thank you again Will, I'm very interested in the LEDE(Live End/Dead End) theory, any new info out there lately? I read an article in Audio Magazine-Aug. 1987 that was interesting! Anybody want to "chime in"?

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print