Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/19/24 at 06:18:26 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
SE84CSM Monoblocks First Impressions (Read 6749 times)
Auguie

SE84CSM Monoblocks First Impressions
10/27/11 at 23:15:32

Hi All,

10/24/11 at 22:58:47  

Hi All,

Well... fired up my new/used pair of SE83CSM monoblocks this weekend, and I got to tell you, I'm impressed.  I didn't think they would drive my Von Schweirkert VR3 speakers, but BOY...was I wrong.  Not only did they drive the speakers, on some sources, I don't miss any of the slam, bass, soundstaging, or nuances of my Krell intergrated at all...  and that was a 150+ WPC SS unit!!!  With my VPI Scout as the source, the air, articulation, and macro dynamics are all there.  I'm just waiting for them to break in for the micro dynamics.

The one dissapointment is my Meridian 588 CD player.  I hear a harsh truncation in the treble that almost sound as though the amp is clipping.  Maybe more time with break in will help...at least that's my story and i'm stickin' to it.  

My other source is a Magnum Dynalab FT 101 Tuner which has been upgraded to an Etude and it sound as good as the Scout right now.  Again, with some more break in time, things may even out.

All in all, I'm very pleased with the amps.  As noted in another topic, the input tubes are different in these amps, and I am researching my alternatives to even out the playing field, so to speak.  I'll continue to update everyone on what I do and hear.

Any comments or suggestions are welcome, and I'll be posting pictures soon.

Dan

I think I put this post on the wrong forum...so here it is.  Let me know what you think.

Decware SE84CS M Monoblocks & HDT Speakers; First Sound Presence Deluxe MK I Pre Amp; Denafrips Aries II DAC;Innous ZenMini MKII server;VPI Scout/Dynavector 10X5 Cart;Phenomena II Phono Pre;XLO/Wireworld/Signal/Transparent Cables.
  IP Logged
Auguie

Re: SE84CSM Monoblocks First Impressions
Reply #1 - 10/27/11 at 23:19:46

Hi All,

Got a matched pair of 6N1P tubes today aand right now, I hear a definate improvement.  I'll let you know a better impression this weekend.

TUBES RULE!!!

Dan

Decware SE84CS M Monoblocks & HDT Speakers; First Sound Presence Deluxe MK I Pre Amp; Denafrips Aries II DAC;Innous ZenMini MKII server;VPI Scout/Dynavector 10X5 Cart;Phenomena II Phono Pre;XLO/Wireworld/Signal/Transparent Cables.
  IP Logged
ski bum
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 10/29/11 at 18:39:21

The 6N1P is my favorite.  I think that is what Steve primarily voiced the amp with, but could be wrong with that.  I find them the most neutral, natrural, and transparent.  The 6922s are zingy in comparison, and the 6dj8 or whatever are kind of whispy, but the 6N1P is 'just right'.  (I'm using SE84C, but the input tubes should have the same characteristics in the Selects.)

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 10/29/11 at 18:43:57

That's been my findings as well with both the SV83 and the EL34 amps. There are three or four different "schools" of 6N1P tube sound I've discovered. I usually use what I think are military versions. I've been listening to a pair of these recently that sound different than my previous pairs. They're a bit more "thick" sounding in taht there's not that huge open deep midrange, it's more "phono" sounding to me, but quite pleasant. Took quite some time for the bass to come in, maybe because of the cryo treatment?

http://www.cryoset.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21_24&products_id=263&osCs...

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print