Send Topic Print
New Listening Room (Read 14733 times)
Falconer
Seasoned Member

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

New Listening Room
10/25/11 at 21:20:32

Help is needed. I now have a room that I can convert to a listening room. The attachment is the layout of the room. Any suggestions would be appreciated. The bookcases in the recess are free standing, so they could be moved if needed. The floor is polished concrete and the ceiling is a drop ceiling 8' high. The wall on the right side and bottom of the sketch are concrete foundation walls behind a stud wall with gypsum wallboard. The other two walls are stud walls with gypsum wallboard. Door "A" could be rehung to swing out of the room. Let me know if you need anymore info. I am looking for help with everything... absorbers, diffusers, bass traps, speaker placement, chair placement.

http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b212/Falconerone/?action=view&current=roomlayo...

HDT Alt Tuning, ZMC1, ZDSD, ZSB, REL Subwoofer, Audio Electronic AE-3 Preamp, Audio Electronic PH-1 Phono Preamp, Audio Electronic SE-811 Amp, (2)Otari MX-5050Bii-2, Otari MTR-10, (2)Otari MTR-12, Linn Sondek LP-12 with Krystal MC cartridge
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Re: New Listening Room
Reply #1 - 10/26/11 at 04:25:34

First question:  Can either one of the doors be reversed so it doesn't swing into the room?

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #2 - 10/26/11 at 04:27:23

Despite what we decide to do, the floor will have to be changed to carpet with a commercial duty rubberized pad under it.   May as well make peace with it and get it done while we figure out the rest.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #3 - 10/26/11 at 04:53:36

Blue = speakers and listening chair

Green = diffusers

Red = Bass traps

WWW   IP Logged
Falconer
Seasoned Member

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #4 - 10/27/11 at 17:42:42

Thanks for the help Steve. I do have the option to move the recessed wall in 3' (had to get WAF) so that will change things a bit. Door "A" can be rehung to swing out of the room, the other door can not. After the carpet, what would be the next thing to work on?
William

HDT Alt Tuning, ZMC1, ZDSD, ZSB, REL Subwoofer, Audio Electronic AE-3 Preamp, Audio Electronic PH-1 Phono Preamp, Audio Electronic SE-811 Amp, (2)Otari MX-5050Bii-2, Otari MTR-10, (2)Otari MTR-12, Linn Sondek LP-12 with Krystal MC cartridge
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #5 - 10/28/11 at 17:51:03

If by recessed wall you mean the one with the bookcases, I would leave it as is.  Having a room that is not a perfect rectangle is generally better than one that is.

After the carpet, report back here with the results.  The carpet is part of goal # 1  - absorption.  Once it's in, we'll figure out if additional absorption on the walls is needed.  Step two will likely be some bass traps.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Falconer
Seasoned Member

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #6 - 11/02/11 at 14:48:49

Steve, any suggestions on where to get the rubber mat? I have found some (link attached) but wondered if there was something less exspensive. This product seems to be easily installed.
http://www.commercialmatsandrubber.com/best-flex-flooring-p32.html

IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Reply #7 - 11/02/11 at 21:49:41

Falconer,

I think Steve was referring to the pad that goes under the carpet. Commercial grade foam rubber carpet padding.

I think what you were looking at would just be trading one reflecting surface for another.

ZYGI

All Decware amps and sources, Turning Point Audio speakers
  IP Logged
Falconer
Seasoned Member

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #8 - 11/03/11 at 13:23:34

Thanks Z

IP Logged
Falconer
Seasoned Member

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #9 - 11/21/11 at 17:23:58

Ok, for carpet which way should I go...berber or shag Undecided   any suggestions?

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #10 - 11/21/11 at 23:28:03

Berber.
If for no better reason than berber wears like iron. I have berber in my room.
Also don't scrimp on the pad. And no, I have no interest in any carpet companys.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print