Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
NOS Mullard EL34 (Read 3703 times)
agustinf
Verified Member

NOS Mullard EL34
10/22/11 at 14:48:09

Have you guys tried these on the Torii?

I've just received my order (no DOC certificate though, as this is fleabay stuff) and they look pretty good.

I've just plugged them in, replacing winged Cs and mullards reissue. The rest of the tubes are now each a favorite of mine: Amperex (currently A frames from Holland, but any would do, white label PQ if the world would end tomorrow), NOS voltage regulators/rectifiers (absolutely key for me was to get Tung Sol 5u4GB, for the rest: RCA OC3s, and the only one I haven't touched, Raytheon 0B2 -not even sure about this, but it's the one that came with the torii).

First impressions. Well, plugging the Mullards EL34 was indeed improving things. A lot. How much? who is to say, enough for me at least to spend the extra $150 compared to what you'd pay for the Cs or the reissues. And the sound? if you had less than ideal lower freq micro detail definition, you'll leave that behind. and the rest of the freq spectrum? same thing. Will you get an overly analytical - cold system. Nah, not my impression. I thing that if you like the hi rez feeling of your Decware gear, you'll feel happy with them. You'll get a better sense of everything. OK, enough.

They are suppose to change with time. If I hear anything different I'll let you know. Curious to see how they compare to current production EL34 such as the Treasuries. But then, do you have a video showing the production facilities of those? How could anybody live without that. Search it on youtube, Mullard Blackburn Valve manufacturing, or something like that. You'll love it. Be sure to see all 4 or 6 parts of that film. If it is mentioned elsewhere in this forum, please accept my apologies for the duplication, but I thought it was well worth the risk.

Best
Agustin

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: NOS Mullard EL34
Reply #1 - 10/22/11 at 15:26:46

Congrats! I'm sure you'll enjoy those old Mullards. I've never heard them in a stereo amp, I do have some experience with them in a guitar amp that a friend had, but that's a whole different matter.

They've always been too expensive for me to consider. Like you I've used Winged Cs and used the Mullard Reissues in my Integrated (nice tubes). Let us know how you like these when they've totally broken in.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
agustinf
Verified Member

Re: NOS Mullard EL34
Reply #2 - 10/22/11 at 17:40:27

Here's the link to the Mullard documentay I was talking about in my previous post.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HveUY7eivfI

Best

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print