Send Topic Print
SE84CS x 2 & ZStage (Read 9137 times)
KellyB

If you can't enjoy
the sound, it's just
noise!!!

SE84CS x 2 & ZStage
10/19/11 at 15:37:47

What are the sonic benefits to adding a ZStage to the mono blocks?
KellyB

Decware SE84CS X 2 (CCE-mod); Decware RL-3s; Decware Interconnect cables; ZenStyx speaker cables; Stax CA-Z Preamp; Stax SR-X Mk III Earspeakers; Pro-ject 2.9 Wood TT; Soundsmith SMMC2 Cart.; JBL Sig. Series Loudspeakers(vintage, '70); etc.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: SE84CS x 2 & ZStage
Reply #1 - 10/19/11 at 16:16:04

Hi Kelly!

If you go to the Decware ZSTAGE page https://www.decware.com/newsite/zstage.html you'll see some information. And if you download and open the Owner's Manual there is a very interesting and informative section describing the benefits of the gain stage and the "relaxing" of the sound caused by the use of the tube. (If you're only using a phono source, you may not need this?)

In general I'd say the benefits are: tailoring the dynamics, tonal signature and "weight" of the sound, improving on the sound of your source. I don't have one myself, but have the CSP2 and the ZBox, both of which share characteristics in how they influence the system sound.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
KellyB

If you can't enjoy
the sound, it's just
noise!!!

Reply #2 - 10/20/11 at 00:12:35

Thanks Lon,
I'm building a small listening room downstairs:8.5ft.W X 16ft.L X 7ft.H & was hoping the ZStage(I don't use regular headphones) might give me the extra weight without going to a Torii !!! I'm using a PC also.

Decware SE84CS X 2 (CCE-mod); Decware RL-3s; Decware Interconnect cables; ZenStyx speaker cables; Stax CA-Z Preamp; Stax SR-X Mk III Earspeakers; Pro-ject 2.9 Wood TT; Soundsmith SMMC2 Cart.; JBL Sig. Series Loudspeakers(vintage, '70); etc.
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 10/20/11 at 00:52:05

I know it would add enough weight to the ZEN. I auditioned this combination up at DECFEST and can attest to the affect the ZSTAGE has on the ZEN. The 'STAGE makes the ZEN sound fuller without coloring the sound any further.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4 - 10/20/11 at 00:58:01

That's a nice size room, and I bet that you would be happy with the results of the ZSTAGE. I do the "riding the gain" with my CSP2 (which with the right tube sets isn't "colored") and really get a benefit even with the Torii Mk. III. It really makes an impact on the Integrated and SE34 Monoblocks, and RR has vouched for its effects on the SE84C. I would definitely be in the market for one if I didn't have the CSP2. The ZSTAGE is like a preamp and a ZBOX in one. Looks to be a great product.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
KellyB

If you can't enjoy
the sound, it's just
noise!!!

Reply #5 - 10/20/11 at 15:10:41

Thank you guys so much for the info!!! It will be my next Decware  purchase!!!  Would it be possible for Steve to put in a second RCA input?

Which Forum would be the best to post questions about different ideas for building a dedicated listening room, such as (LEDE)live end / dead end theory, etc.?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6 - 10/20/11 at 15:18:34

I would call Steve and ask him directly. My guess is "no" but it's just my guess. Steve's answer would be the real deal.

I think the "Room Treatment Forum" would be the best place to discuss a listening room develpment plan.

https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?board=acoustics

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print