Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Volume knobs (Read 8098 times)
maprik
Verified Member

Volume knobs
10/03/11 at 09:33:49

Hi Steve,

I have the single input SE34i.2+ with 2 volume knobs.
In order to center an image I need to have the left knob at 9 o'clock and the right knob at 12 oclock. What could be causing this? It's not that big of a deal but I'm curious...

Thanks!

Phil

IP Logged
dla405j

Re: Volume knobs
Reply #1 - 10/03/11 at 11:58:02

I'm having the same issue/problem..difficult to set correctly and get sound balanced...need ideas for help.
thanks
dla405j

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #2 - 10/03/11 at 14:10:12

I haven't had that problem with my Integrated. Are you using matched power tubes? Input tubes?  I've been using matched power tubes and though I haven't bought the input tubes matched, they must be pretty well matched.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
dank
Seasoned Member

pair of dual 18
Imperials

Reply #3 - 10/03/11 at 14:29:59

Straight out of an old Dynaco manual:  loosen knob's set screw, rotate knob to center position, tighten set screw.

As to the actual reason, the left side is louder than the right so you have to turn the left side down.  Its interesting that you turn the left side down, rather than the right side up... I find it much easier to make the quiet side louder when setting the balance.  Try swapping output cables, swap them back, then try swapping input cables, swap them back.  If the balance stays the same (left side louder) then its probably just a combination of tolerances of all the components in the amp adding up to slightly different gains for L vs R with the volume control itself being the most likely suspect (unless a component is wrong or out of tolerance).  Make sure its something thats not easily correctable, like a dirty connection, then move the knobs and stop worring about it.  Note:  it could also be your ears...have someone else verify left side is louder.

Dan

IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Reply #4 - 10/03/11 at 16:28:35

Dan K

Could it also not be a output tube going, or for that matter one side of the input tube going?

I would swap output tubes as well as what Dan suggested, and if you have a spare input tube (which you should always have a spare set of tubes ready to go) try that. if it follows any of the swaps, you may have found the culprit.

See you next weekend...

ZYGI

All Decware amps and sources, Turning Point Audio speakers
  IP Logged
maprik
Verified Member

Reply #5 - 10/03/11 at 20:01:20

Thanks all. Great advice. I will swap EL34s and see what happens. I like the idea of just adusting the knob!!!

IP Logged
maprik
Verified Member

Reply #6 - 10/03/11 at 20:06:43

Btw, this did not change when I switched from 6n1p tubes to 6n2p tubes...  Also, this happens regardless of source and cables.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print